Safety of mucuna pruriens

I’m considering trying some mucana puriens which contains 15% L-Dopa (standardised) to boost libido. Any thoughts as to whether this could have an adverse effect knowing the rough theories we have of PFS?

1 Like

Everyone is different but I’ve been taking Mucuna Pruriens at 95% L-Dopa, 350 mg once or twice a day for 6 months. It makes me motivated, in a good mood and I guess it did improve my libido.
For sure, it’s good against anhedonia.

Never heard anyone say anything specific about it being bad for pfs, but it may have slipped by me. Start slowly and stop at first sign of trouble.

so you think 15 % l-dopa is too low ?

Not at all. It depends on the dose. 500 mg pills would have 75 mg of L-Dopa in it.

When starting with an supplement that turns into a neurotransmitter, it’s better to start with low doses and see how we react first. It’s been my experience that the effect of that supplement doesn’t last very long, maybe around 8 hours. So starting with low doses limits the chances of strong adverse effects. If you feel nothing, you can increase the dose until you feel good, or stop it if it makes you feel bad.

1 Like

ok thank you

Mucuna Pruriens is a Dopamine agonist, a neurotransmiter which in our cases generally is pretty low.
I would say give it a try. If you are dealing with ADHD (This is caused generally due to low dopamine) mucuna should help, too much of it could make you a little more explosive tho - think of it as a natural amphetamine.

I’ ll leave that here if someone will have the same experience with l-dopa as me. I got persistent side effects with mucuna. Brain electrification (striatum), electrical jolts and some of unknown nature occasional contractions in the head . So if you have something similar, first thing that helps :

1. 5ht1a , 5ht1b agonists. It could be SSRI or any other med. (helped immediately after 1 dose)
  2. levetiracetam (almost cured while on this)
  3. amantadine . Haven’t tried this, but seems, its most up to date treatment for l-dopa induced dyskenisia.

Ever heared of dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome? It’s just as horrible as PFS/PSSD, also can be very permanent.

Yes, but I dont think its my case. I took l-dopa just for 5 days and this feeling in the head was building up with each dose. This brain electrification was actually a hell. Now I am pretty ok, thanks to meds mentioned.
From my research my condition resembles l-dopa induced dyskenisia. Without actual dyskenisia, but it has the same mechanism of serotonin system disruption, when dopamine enters 5ht terminal, where it does not belong.

lol i take l dopa on and off and have no problem with it. no sides at all. from mucuna you dont get this withdrawal syndrome. the dosis is too low. and no its not like pfs. why are you saying this @AnhedonicApe ? its not true

1 Like

I cant guess what doses people take bro. A dopamine agonist is a dopamine agonist. it depends on how much mucuna u take and how often if u get these problems. The fact that u didnt get this problem doesn’t mean others won’t. U know, the same as with PFS. I didn’t say it’s like PFS, I said it’s just as horrible. People can get permanent anhedonia from it, and all kinds of other shit related to permanent low dopamine.

1 Like

alright. then i misunderstood your post. i agree with this. but when you just take small doses of mucuna the most people will be very safe. i have no safety concerns

1 Like

Yeaah ofcourse once in a while no problem. It’s just taking it on a daily basis on high enough doses can give u this.

2 Likes