Reversing silenced AR signal with demethylating agents - A promising treatment option?

Hormonal Control of Androgen Receptor Function through SIRT1

The NAD-dependent histone deacetylase Sir2 plays a key role in connecting cellular metabolism with gene silencing and aging. The androgen receptor (AR) is a ligand-regulated modular nuclear receptor governing prostate cancer cellular proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis in response to androgens, including dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Here, SIRT1 antagonists induce endogenous AR expression and enhance DHT-mediated AR expression.

Nicotinamide is the first product from hydrolysis of the pyridinium-N-glycosidic bond of NAD, and it is an inhibitor of Sir2 enzymes from different organisms, including human, yeast, and Archaea enzymes (32, 37, 49). Evidence suggests that NADĀ±dependent protein deacetylases are also inhibited by nicotinamide in vivo (49). Addition of NAM (5 mM) to the prostate cancer cell line LNCaP induced accumulation of AR in the cells (Fig. 1A). AR gene expression is responsive to androgens, and treatment with DHT induced AR abundance 10-fold over the control (Fig. 1A). Nicotinamide also enhanced DHT-induced AR expression, indicating that nicotinamide can modulate androgen hormone-dependent signaling.

The current study provides the first evidence for an AR regulatory pathway controlled by mammalian SIRT1. Endogenous androgen-regulated gene expression was induced by the SIRT1 inhibitor nicotinamide.

Here, SIRT1 inhibited androgen-dependent prostate cancer cellular growth and repressed the endogenous androgen-responsive target gene, AR. AR is an androgen-responsive gene, and sirtinol, a Sir2-specific inhibitor, increased the abundance of acetylated-AR acetylation. Nicotinamide, a noncompetitive inhibitor of Sir2, induced expression of the endogenous androgen-responsive AR gene. The selective chemical inhibitor of SIRT activity, splitomycin, enhanced AR-dependent gene expression, suggesting that endogenous SirT1 contributes to maintenance of the AR in a repressed state.

mcb.asm.org/cgi/content/full/26/21/8122

Massive list of epigenetic research chemicals, many not previously mentioned in this thread and worth further investigation.

sigmaaldrich.com/life-science/cell-biology/cell-biology-products.html?TablePage=9554626

nar.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2010/10/18/nar.gkq861.full.pdf+html

The androgen receptor (AR) is a member of the nuclear hormone receptor family of transcription factors that plays a critical role in regulating expression of genes involved in prostate development and transformation. Upon hormone binding, the AR associates with numerous co-regulator proteins that regulate the activation status of target genes via flux to the post-translational modification status of histones and the receptor. Here we show that the AR interacts with and is directly methylated by the histone methyltransferase enzyme SET9. Methylation of the AR on lysine 632 is necessary for enhancing transcriptional activity of the receptor by facilitating both inter-domain communication between the N- and C-termini and recruitment to androgen-target genes. We also show that SET9 is pro-proliferative and anti-apoptotic in prostate cancer cells and demonstrates up-regulated nuclear expression in prostate cancer tissue. In all, our date indicate a new mechanism of AR regulation that may be therapeutically exploitable for prostate cancer treatment.

Iā€™ve been thinking about persistent side effects in general and why they happen. SSRIs can cause similar issues for example.

Off wikipedia:

It has been postulated that drugs can exert epigenetic effects.[25] Treatment with fluoxetine (Prozac) has been shown to cause persistent desensitization of 5HT1A receptors after removal of the SSRI in rats.[26] These long-term adaptive changes in 5-HT receptors, as well as more complex, global changes, are thought to be mediated through alterations of gene expression.[27][28][29][30][31] Some of these gene expression changes are a result of altered DNA structure caused by chromatin remodeling,[32][33] specifically epigenetic modification of histones[34] and gene silencing by DNA methylation due to increased expression of the methyl binding proteins MeCP2 and MBD1.[35] Altered gene expression and chromatin remodeling may also be involved in the mechanism of action of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT).[36][37]
Because described gene expression changes are complex, and can involve persistent modifications of chromatin structure, it has been suggested that SSRI use can result in persistently altered cerebral gene expression leading to compromised catecholaminergic neurotransmission and neuroendocrine disturbances,[11] such as reduced hypothalamic-pituitary-testis axis (HPTA) function,[38] leading to decreased testosterone levels[39] reduced sperm counts,[40] and reduced semen quality with damaged sperm DNA.[41] However, without detailed neuropsychopharmacological, pharmacogenomic and toxicogenomic[42] research, the definitive cause remains unknown.

One possible mechanism is by inhibition of dopaminergic neurotransmission,[45] resulting in described persistent sexual dysfunction.

Deja vu. Deja bloody vu.

I think its fair to say that finasteride is no longer in our bodies. There is no way it is. Yet side effects remain and in fact got worse in some of us after we stopped. The side effects pattern wise are the signs of hypogonadism. We donā€™t know why this is the case yet but I feel we are getting closer. Recognition by the medical world is not too far away. I am doing lots of reading at the moment looking at epigenetics and demethylating agents and seeing if it is an option.

I will summarise the epigenetic hypothesis as to why we suffer soon after i finish my readings. I am trying to unite all our stories into a cohesive argument. Why do some people just get brain fog and others just sexual side effects and some the whole thing? Why are there no real hormonal abnormalities in some but some in others? Why do some people suffer from muscle wasting and exhibit no signs of androgen use whilst others are losing more hair than ever? We all suffer to varying degrees and i believe we all suffer from an underlying common cause. However, this gives variable outcomes as we all are different.

I wish more people would get on board this idea as its the only idea which makes sense.

Also I ask all of you to try to tear my argument to pieces (logically not emotionally) as only this way can progress be made.

Thanks and onwards to a bright 2011!!

Tip60 and Histone Deacetylase 1 Regulate Androgen Receptor Activity through Changes to the Acetylation Status of the Receptor

The AR is a hormone-dependent transcription factor that activates expression of numerous androgen-responsive genes. Histone acetyltransferase-containing proteins have been shown to increase activity of several transcription factors, including nuclear hormone receptors, by eliciting histone acetylation, which facilitates promoter access to the transcriptional machinery. Conversely, histone deacetylases (HDACs) have been identified which reduce levels of histone acetylation and are associated with transcriptional repression by various transcription factors. We have previously shown that Tip60 (Tat-interactive protein, 60 kDa) is a bona fide co-activator protein for the AR. Here we show that Tip60 directly acetylates the AR, which we demonstrate is a requisite for Tip60-mediated transcription. To define a mechanism for repression of AR function, we demonstrate that AR activity is specifically down-regulated by the histone deacetylase activity of HDAC1. Furthermore, using both mammalian two-hybrid and immunoprecipitation experiments, we show that AR and HDAC1 interact, suggestive of a direct role for down-regulation of AR activity by HDAC1. In chromatin immunoprecipitation assays, we provide evidence that AR, Tip60, and HDAC1 form a trimeric complex upon the endogenous AR-responsive PSA promoter, suggesting that acetylation and deacetylation of the AR is an important mechanism for regulating transcriptional activity.

Whereas acetylation has been linked to increasing transcriptional activity of targeted transcription factors, deacetylation has been implicated as a mechanism of transcription factor down-regulation. The data presented here provides evidence that Tip60 and HDAC1 are directly involved in the regulation of AR-mediated gene expression by inducing potential changes to the acetylation status of the AR. Tip60 directly acetylates the AR, which we show is necessary for up-regulating AR activity, whereas HDAC1 down-regulates the AR transcriptional response potentially through direct deacetylation.

Previous experiments showed that both p300 and PCAF acetylated the AR on three lysine residues, Lys-630, Lys-632, and Lys-633 (25). Acetylation of these amino acids induced an increase in inherent transcriptional activity of the AR. The demonstration that Tip60 also directly acetylates the AR in vivo, via inherent FAT activity (Fig. 1), indicates that the AR is a common target for co-activator-mediated acetylation.

A better understanding of AR down-regulation came with the observation that HDAC1 specifically represses AR activity without effecting AR protein levels (Fig. 3). Our results indicate the importance of the deacetylase activity of HDAC1 for AR inhibition (Fig. 4) and suggest that HDAC1-mediated effects are potentially through direct deacetylation of the receptor (Fig. 7).

Mechanisms for AR down-regulation are as yet, poorly defined. Whereas the effect of receptor degradation on AR-mediated gene expression remains to be clarified, nuclear export of the active AR constitutes one mechanism for down-regulating the androgenic response. However, recent evidence has suggested that this process is only evident after 12 h in the absence of hormone (38), suggesting that it is unlikely to be the definitive mechanism for AR down-regulation in real-time. The ability of HDAC1 to repress AR activity indicates a novel mechanism for down-regulating AR-mediated transcription, which we speculate constitutes a more rapid mechanism for controlling the androgenic response. Indeed, the ability of HDAC1 to rapidly associate with the endogenous PSA promoter, which correlates with the recruitment of the AR to the promoter (Fig. 8 B), suggests that HDAC1 has the potential to down-regulate AR activity early in the transcriptional process. The failure for HDAC1 to reduce AR protein levels (Fig.3 B), combined with the ability of HDAC1 to down-regulate endogenous AR activity in LNCaP cells (Fig. 8 C), implicates a role for HDAC1 in an acute and reversible mechanism for AR repression. We speculate that HDAC1-mediated deacetylation of the AR results in the generation of an inactive AR which has the capacity to be reactivated upon further ligand exposure and acetylation. Indeed, the demonstration that the AR undergoes both numerous cycles of activation and inactivation together with the respective nuclear-cytoplasmic shuttling, before succumbing to proteosomal degradation (38), suggests that a mechanism of transient AR inactivation exists. Although these authors proposed that hormone inactivation or degradation may result in the transient deactivation of AR activity prior to receptor export from the nucleus, we suggest a role for HDAC1 in this system as changes to the acetylation status of the AR is a dominant factor in AR transcriptional activity.

In summary, the results suggest the existence of a reversible and rapid mechanism for regulating AR activity that does not involve a reduction in AR protein levels: Tip60-mediated acetylation of the AR up-regulates the transcriptional response, whereas down-regulation of transcriptional activity occurs as a result of HDAC1, potentially via deacetylation of the AR. The ability of Tip60 to counteract the activity of HDAC1 suggests that the acetylation status of the AR is a dominant factor in AR functioning, and variation to the levels of FAT proteins and HDAC1 may give rise to fluctuating AR activity. Further investigation may focus upon the relative levels of these proteins in different stages of prostate cancer to identify if changes to the flux of acetylation and deacetylation of the AR exerts an influence upon cellular transformation.

jbc.org/content/277/29/25904.full

Nice i was looking for something on acetylation.

Today iā€™ve been thinking about brain fog and i think it may have a slightly different mechanism than via the androgen receptor as some people only experience brain fog. So iā€™m trying to tie it in to the epigenetic idea.

Hereā€™s something:

ionchannels.org/showabstract.php?pmid=8603037

When administered systematically in the rat, these neurosteroids display anxiolytic and hypnotic activities that suggest pronounced systemic effects as well as neuropsychopharmacological potential for modulation of sleep and anxiety. We demonstrated that these neurosteroids can regulate gene expression via the progesterone receptor. The induction of DNA-binding and transcriptional activation of the progesterone receptor requires intracellular oxidation of the neurosteroids into progesterone receptor-active 5 alpha-pregnane steroids. Thus, in physiological concentrations these neurosteroids regulate neuronal function through their concurrent influence on transmitter-gated ion channels and gene expression.

jneurosci.org/cgi/content/short/25/19/4706

Furthermore, microarray analysis of cell-cycle genes and real-time reverse transcription-PCR and Western blot validation revealed that allopregnanolone increased the expression of genes that promote mitosis and inhibited the expression of genes that repress cell proliferation.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19360904

HDAC inhibitors may be able to promote the differentiation of rat C6 glioma cells through the production of 5alpha-reduced neurosteroids, resulting in the enhancement of serotonin-stimulated BDNF gene expression as a consequence of promoting their differentiation.

Onwards!

Its due to adrenal issues which are caused by fin. Adrenal and thyroid issues along with liver problemsMost of this brain fog is due to adrenal issues or thyroid. guaranteed. Low cortisol does make your brain like that.

The tests at doctord like the common blood tests dont pick up on thyroid issues, neither the ncortisol or liver. Hence people give up and think these areas are fine.

You need 4 x saliva from genova along with comp-rehensive thyroid panel and a fibroscan for liver of course basic bloods like total testosterone, Lh, shbg and oestradiol, dht etc etc.

This will be your strting point to work out where the holes are and start patching. Now many here are averse to herbal remedies to correcting these problems, i have found herbal remedies very good but most dont beleive in it, so i would say correcting adrenals is easily done via isocort and cortef. Thyroid by synthyroid, T3, or armour. Once adrenals and thyroid are online testosterone usually self regulates.

If you still have issues at the point then you can explore correcting liver issues. Only herbalism has the means of correcting these at the moment.

This is the way everyone should approach this problem instead of going in a thousand different directions.

I always see you preaching these herbal remedies. Have you yourself actually cured yourself through this way? If not, why are you trying to beat a dead horse?

There is little evidence to suggest this is the case. If this were the case more people would have made full recoveries. Although LFTs are not always the best indicator of liver function they do give an idea if it was in serious trouble. I have seen patients with much worse livers than us who are more ā€œhealthyā€ than us. Again very few people have made progress with T3 although Dury did. I have noted this. I have been down this line of thinking before and neither t3 nor prednisolone make a sustained impact on the majority of us. I havenā€™t seen any diurnal loss in variation in cortisol in myself or in many others to suggest a chronic stress issue either. I have seen patients with Addisons disease who have very low cortisol and our problems do not fit that pattern.

I am not adverse to herbal treatments if they have proven benefits. Show me consistency and evidence for what you are saying and then maybe your points are valid. Without it is speculation.

Very few ppl havenā€™t seen progress with T3 because they havenā€™t addressed their cortisol production line or they have incompetent doctors treating them. You yourself have had barely any testing (or you have and just havent posted any of it) from what Iā€™ve seen from your story and youā€™re merely going by side effects which is something none of us can do because we donā€™t have experience with being on hormones and such. You havenā€™t even tested your cortisol, and you complain about eye problems which could be directly related to an adrenal issue.

TO ALL, PLEASE DO NOT PM ME I WILL NOT RESPOND, FIND YOUR OWN REPUTALE AYUVERDIC UNANI DOCTOR, THX.

Yes i have gotten better, i now stick around many male health forums because i now have an interest in this area.

We are affected by fin or saw palmetto in terms of the following organs

Liver

You can have cirrhosis but your liver function tests will show liver is fine. LFTā€™s are pretty useless as is most healthcare. Not interested in optimising your quality of life, just to make sure you donā€™t die. Billions of people the world over expecially in developing countries optimise their hormones and helath via herbal modulation. Our livers get affected in terms of hormone metabolism, its changed the way our liver does what it does. Remeber Thyroid biding globulin is made there as are many regulatroy mechanism which occur in the liver, the liver is responsible for a lot of hormonal imbalance. Thats where fin fucks us over. Cleansing my liver and recaliberating its functions helped a lot, again something western medicine cannot due, this is realms of herbalism. I also had spermatorreha which was caused by saw palmetto and that does not have any treatment of effect among western pharmatopia. Indeed herbalism healed me from these. As well as helping my adrenals and general sexual health, so i am biased i suppose to herbalism but i do know that it has a market where western medicine cannot yet reach. You dont have to use herbs, you may want to use conevntional methods for adrenals and thyroid such as isocort and armour, i will talk labout this later. But, to clean liver you need herbs.

Thyroid

If you get a comprehensive thyroid panel you will be able to see what needs patching, taking medications haphazardly yourself will only make you worse. Thyroid is something that can get bound up by binding globulins from a malfunctioning liver. You need to make a thorough asessment of where your thyroid is at looking at reverse t3 etc etc. Indeed as it affects adrenals, liver and thyroid it will affect people differently depending on the robustness of their internal state of health. Is the wide variation of side effects, but if you look at effects of underperforming thyroid, or adrenals or even liver, you will see all side effects people here expereince, and you could fill pages on all the side effects these malfunctioning organs can produce. hence the wide variety of ill effects.

Adrenals

Cortisol needs to be high during day and low at night, also the adrenal glands have to be able to repond to stress by releasing cortisol fast. many peoples adrenals get unresponsive, or dont release enough cortisol or start releasing adrenaline. Adrenal irregularities is what many people shopw when they post side effects, brain fog is one. indeed underacting thyroid can cause the same - adrenals that are underperforming cause the thyroid to mess up and vice versa and guess what liver functioning messes up and starts a chain reaction which lowers test levels too! Itā€™s all interlinked.

I know they worked for me, i know they work for billions around the world, majority of the world use herbology to fix their woes, big pharma is a modern phenomenon that we in the west have had the pleasure to experience. I am not telling anyone to use herbs. People here think i have something to gain, i dont. I am just stating that people should look outside the box and that many treatments do not exist within the realm of western medicine.

No laboratory is going to have the desire or need to investigate and research herbs, infact big pharma does not want that and will infleunce against it.

Adrenals and thyroid, using a conventional approach will require isocort and armour. That is after testing through genova diagnostics and diagnosing gaps. always start with adrenals first, then see if you need any thyroid support. Once adrenals and thyroid are running optimally testosterone usually boosts but liver function will also need time to self rectify. Healing from adrenal fatigue alone can take 2 years and liver will also take a long time in an underperforming body. hence big time frames, on top of that our stress about the predicament and unknown situations causes adrenals to never heal.

Relax, take it a step at atime, adrenals first, then thyroid, then wait for liver to come online. Thats all you can do and pray. I personally would start cleansing heavy with herbs to get liver recaliberated and activated but if you are antiherbs there is no other way to get your liver repraired faster, just time.

to toadstool

I have had tests done. Cortisol was perfect. Both in morning and evening. I have had all the usual hormonal tests including DHT which was elevated. IGF-1 and IGF-BP3 were normal too. Nothing stands out. Testosterone was in upper third of range, SHBG not high, etcā€¦ Vit D normal. ESR and CRP normal. I havenā€™t got the numbers to hand but nothing was remotely off. I do intend to have further testing to rule out other possibilities. My visual issues are related to brain fog as the eyes are healthy (been checked). This could be due to neurosteroid issues or due to AR problems as I have read similar reports in people suffering from hypogonadism.

to muscleman

Adrenal fatigue is not an established medical condition. Its a vague pseudoscience.

mayoclinic.com/health/adrenal-fatigue/AN01583
blogs.wsj.com/health/2010/09/16/hormone-foundation-warns-on-adrenal-fatigue-and-wilsons-syndrome/

Truth is there is no evidence and more importantly to treat it can be costly. Also if you do have adrenal insufficiency why not pursue a ACTH stimulation test? It is a better indicator of adrenal function.

Liver function. Take away the source of liver damage the liver is overwhelmingly equipped to repair itself. Herbs can do more damage than good.

Reverse t3 syndrome there is a little bit more evidence for but still its not overwhelmingly convincing. I believe it can be a useful test but i doubt its the cause. I know you believe in this herbal stuff but from a medical standpoint there is little evidence for your views. Some herbs like horny goat weed do have a proven benefits but alot do not.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18778098

Hormone production is not necessarily the problem. Whilst some of us are affected hormonally many are not substantially off base. The problem I and others hypothesise is the receptor is not responding as it should. From a logical standpoint this makes sense and has more evidence although we need more.

It sounds like you recovered naturally which is also a potential outcome of the epigenetic hypothesis. Also if you believe in your words respond to peoples pms. They should make their own choice and although i believe you are wrong i have to concede the possibility i am wrong. I ask you to do the same. Just consider it with an open mind. And if you think iā€™m wrong show me your sourcing as to why. Without sources you could write the whole medical textbook in your image. If you canā€™t then i ask you to let the thread stand on its own merit and continue your argument on a different one.

Thanks.

I think that unless you are pointing out holes in the epigenetic theory, then we should keep this on topic. There is no point coming here and posting about every other possible theory of the cause of PFS, each of those theories have multiple threads of their own. I think 19 was specifically asking for people to point out why this theory is not the possible root cause of PFS.

For me, Iā€™m putting all my eggs in this basket until it is proven otherwise. I think this is the only theory that explains how PPS can shoot his T up to 4000 and not feel a thing. I know a lot of people still think it is a hormone imbalance, and their argument is that people simply havenā€™t hit the sweet spot (their E is too high, or free T is too low etc.). To this all i can say is that Docs like Crisler and Jacobs have combined decades of experience treating men with TRT, or people with thyroid issues, and they acknowledge in our case it is not that simple. If i knew TRT could fix me i would happily dive in headfirst. Secondly, there are documented studies pointing to epigenetic changes as a cause for persistent side effects from medications.

As awor said, with funding and a lab this theory is testable, so time will tell if it is the problem. In the mean time, I think it is important to learn as much as we can.

If you believe that there is a different cause for our problems, and you want people to take notice, then you should be researching to find out exactly how it is possible for fin to cause the problems you are talking about, and most importantly why they would persist for years after cessation of the drug.

This is the basic theory originally laid out by awor for anyone coming in late.

1. 5AR inhibitor massively reduces cellular and circulating DHT levels
  2. AR becomes hypersensitive (google terms androgen receptor hypersensitivity) due to low androgens. This is why we get hypogonadal LH/T values.
  3. Side effects start
  4. We quit 5AR inhibitor
  5. DHT returns full force and hits upon hypersensitive AR (do the math 100% > 30% is a 70% reduction. 30% to 100% is a 333% increase. Combine this with a hypersensitive AR and you get a train crash. This is why the symptoms really go south about 1-2 weeks after quitting.
  6. AR negative autoregulation kicks in and probably methylates some AR regulatory element, effectively silencing the AR signlal

Something i was thinking about today was how there are only a handful of guys on here who have taken avodart. There are a few, and granted the number of people taking fin would far exceed those on dutasteride, but i thought given that it is several times more potent than fin and has a much longer half life in the body you would expect to see a much higher percentage of these guys getting hit.

Perhaps the reason for this is that the extended half life of avodart actually works as a tapering effect of its own. i know it takes several months before it leaves your system, and this would mean a much more drawn out reintroduction of DHT into the body, thus giving cells a longer period of time to re-adjust. BTW iā€™m not trying to say good things about dutasteride, iā€™m just discussing it in the context of the above theory.

1 Like

People who get serious sides on the drug and never recover after quitting?

Good thinking mariobros. Its logical and consistent.

Iā€™m planning on writing a summary of sorts reviewing the literature I have looked at. Iā€™ll be covering basic epigenetics, what we know so far from member stories etcā€¦, the hypothesis which you have noted, the avenue of demethylation therapy with its associated risks, the holes in the argument and where we need to go from here. I will also briefly look at post SSRI syndrome and post isotretinoin syndrome as sisters as it were to our problem. I might also add my own views on a treatment plan starting with the usual hormonal profile.

Itā€™ll take me a few weeks/maybe months but can I ask you to look at the draft when Iā€™m done so you can critique it and add any thoughts or ideas you have found? You seem to have your head screwed on and are approaching this in a scientific manner.

All the best

Cool man, sent you a PM.

Role of Mdm2 in regulating the androgen receptor transcriptosome

A likely requisite for AR activity is the binding of histone acetyltransferase (HAT)-containing co-activator proteins that, by directly acetylating both histones within androgen-responsive genes and the receptor itself, facilitate androgen-dependent gene expression. In contrast, AR-mediated transcription is abrogated by the deacetylase activity of histone deacetylase 1 (HDAC1) suggesting that changes to the acetylation status of the receptor provides an important facet of AR regulation. Although ill-defined, factors that control AR stability may also constitute an important regulatory mechanism, a notion that has been confirmed with the finding that the AR is a direct target for Mdm2-mediated ubiquitination and proteolysis.

Monitoring flux to the ubiquitination status and stability of AR and HDAC1 by immunoprecipiation and Western analysis, we show that both proteins are targets for androgen-dependent, Mdm2-mediated ubiquitination and proteosomal destruction that reduces AR activity, indicating that ubiquitination of the AR and HDAC1 early in the transcriptional response constitutes an additional regulatory mechanism for AR-mediated gene expression. Intriguingly, we show that treatment of cells with the HDAC inhibitor trichostatin A abrogates Mdm2-mediated AR destruction, indicating that HDAC1 and Mdm2 may function in synergy to repress AR activity. In all, our data indicates a novel role for Mdm2 in regulating components of the AR transcriptosome and may provide new therapeutic targets in the AR signalling cascade for prostate cancer treatment.

Downregulation of androgen, estrogen and progesterone receptor genes and protein is involved in aging-related erectile dysfunction.

Abstract
We hypothesize that downregulation of sex hormone receptors (androgen, estrogen and progesterone receptors) is involved in aging-related erectile dysfunction. To test this hypothesis, we investigated the expression of sex hormone receptors in penile crura of aging rats. A total of 40 rats were divided into four groups based on age (6, 12, 18 and 24 months), and the erectile function was analyzed by the measurement of intracavernous pressure. Gene and protein expressions of sex hormone receptors were analyzed by RT-PCR and immunostaining, respectively. The mean intracavernous pressures of 6-, 12-, 18- and 24-month-old rats were 110.1, 89.6, 73.5 and 42.7 cm H(2)O, respectively. Gene and protein expressions for androgen receptor, estrogen receptor-beta and progesterone receptor were present in similar levels in 6-, 12- and 18-month-old rat crura, but significantly lower or absent in 24-month-old crura. This is the first study to demonstrate that downregulation of sex hormone receptors in aging rat crura is associated with erectile dysfunction.

What do you think about cupping or hijama?

Inhibition of androgen receptor signaling by selenite and methylseleninic acid in prostate cancer cells: two distinct mechanisms of action

Abstract

The development of prostate cancer and its progression to a hormone-refractory state is highly dependent on androgen receptor (AR) expression. Recent studies have shown that the selenium-based compound methylseleninic acid (MSeA) can disrupt AR signaling in prostate cancer cells. We have found that selenite can inhibit AR expression and activity in LAPC-4 and LNCaP prostate cancer cells as well but through a different mechanism. On entering the cell, selenite consumes reduced glutathione (GSH) and generates superoxide radicals. Pretreatment with N-acetylcysteine, a GSH precursor, blocked the down-regulation of AR mRNA and protein expression by selenite and restored AR ligand binding and prostate-specific antigen expression to control levels. MSeA reacts with reduced GSH within the cell; however, N-acetylcysteine did not effect MSeA-induced down-regulation of AR and prostate-specific antigen. The superoxide dismutase mimetic MnTMPyP was also found to prevent the decrease in AR expression caused by selenite but not by MSeA. A Sp1-binding site in the AR promoter is a key regulatory component for its expression. Selenite decreased Sp1 expression and activity, whereas MSeA did not. The inhibition of Sp1 by selenite was reversed in the presence of N-acetylcysteine. In conclusion, we have found that selenite and MSeA disrupt AR signaling by distinct mechanisms. The inhibition of AR expression and activity by selenite occurs via a redox mechanism involving GSH, superoxide, and Sp1. [Mol Cancer Ther 2006;5(8):2078ā€“85]

mct.aacrjournals.org/content/5/8/2078.full