Retinoic Acid to treat periodontal disease

I’ve looked at dental and gum health as well as this seems to be an issue quite a few are dealing with.
That includes myself.
This is a theory.

(1) Retinoic acid acts as an anti-inflammatory and an anti-chronic inflammatory. The inflammation caused by gingivitis and periodontoclasia in general, has been found to be reduced after application of retinoic acid. It is believed that retinoic acid inhibits macrophage migration into granulomas.

(2) Retinoic acid inhibits the production of collagenase by macrophages. The bacteria present in plaque, dental granuloma and dissecting pockets of fluid in the interstices between the tooth and gum present in more advanced stages of periodontoclasia, also produce collagenase, which destroys the matrix of the teeth and surrounding tissues and ligaments. Retinoic acid interrupts this collagenase activity, preventing the destruction of collagen.

(3) Retinoic acid increases the proliferative activity of the epidermal cells of the periodontium. This increased activity results in a thickening of the periodontal tissues and possibly a thickening of the other mucoidal tissues of the oral cavity. Such stimulation of periodontium growth is believed to result in faster wound healing and response to infection. Moreover, it is believed that retinoic acid increases the metabolism of fibroblasts. Fibroblasts synthesize the fibers of the periodontal tissues by producing collagen and by differentiating into collagenoblasts and osteoblasts. This increased metabolism helps to rejuvenate and repair damaged periostium.

(4) Retinoic acid stimulates blood flow and promotes the formation of vascular tissues (angiogenesis) as well as lymphatic tissues and cells. As a result, there is a greater capacity for the surrounding periodontal tissues to be nourished; cell mediated immune responses occur more readily; and toxins and irritants may be carried away more quickly.

No other pharmaceutical agent has these multiple effects, all of which are beneficial to retard and reverse periodontoclasia and gingivitis.

1 Like

@guitarman01 Its interesting that I react negatively to everything that contains retinioc acid and my gums and teeth are a complete mess.

Retinoic acid is available through a prescription only, so Im not sure what you might be taking?
Do you mean some sort of skin topical? Even those rarely contain retinoic acid and are also only available by prescription.

Sorry @guitarman01 i meant foods that contain r a. Creams made my face break out

Retinoic acid is available through a prescription only, it is not found in foods.
There are 3 forms of vitamin A (retinol, retinal, and retinoic acid) that collectively are known as
retinoids.

Two forms of vitamin A are available in the human diet: preformed vitamin A (retinol and its esterified form, retinyl ester) and provitamin A carotenoids

Both provitamin A and preformed vitamin A must be metabolized to retinal and retinoic acid, the active forms of vitamin A, to support the vitamin’s important biological functions

Among these different retinoids retinol and retinal are fairly interchangeable.
Either form is readily converted to the other. However, only retinal is used to form retinoic acid, and this is a one-way reaction. Thus, once retinoic acid is formed it can’t be converted back to retinal.

The point being a person could ingest all the vitamin a through diet (like liver) or supplements that they want, but if there is a poor conversion of retinol/retinal to retinoic acid this may do more harm than good and they might still remain in a state that reflects deficiency.

"Recent studies show that both commensal and pathogenic bacteria drastically alter vitamin A metabolism in the host."

^What is gingivitis and then periodontal disease mainly considered?
Its an invasion of bacteria, a breakdown of host defenses.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification @guitarman01 are you aware of anyone with pfs benefiting from RA. Everything has burned me and its like stepping on mines. I will see if my dental consultant will consider it/it may not even be an approved treatment option also I’d need to be confident it’s safe for us. Regards anything you could add would be re assuring

The irony is out of everything that has been looked at or discussed on here over the years, tried or trialed,
Vitamin A hasnt been.
There has hardly been any type of mention of vitamin a throughout this forums history before I came along.

1 Like