Retinoic Acid Signaling Pathways in Development and Diseases

Retinoids are essential in the development and function of several organ systems; however, deregulated retinoid signaling can contribute to serious diseases.
Quite a bit here. I think its worth saving. Again I dont think it would be lack of vitamin A intake, but how it gets utilized (or doesnt) after that.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4447240/#:~:text=All-trans%20retinoic%20acid%20(RA,cancer%2C%20neuroblastoma%2C%20and%20glioblastoma.

I will post this quote again, I cant even remember where I pulled this from but still, maybe this could be why there could be upregulation of the AR gene if true.

"Surprisingly, androgens can partially compensate for the loss of RA signaling, and we identify a link between the endocrine system and RA signaling"

2 Likes

Keep wondering this.

Maybe RA deficiency could suppress normal liver signalling?

I like how they word this. I’m thinking outside the lungs when it comes to possibilities.

Retinoic acid induces alveolar regeneration in the adult mouse lung

Recent data suggests that exogenous retinoic acid (RA) can induce alveolar regeneration in a mouse and a rat model of experimental emphysema and disrupted alveolar development. This may be because RA is required during normal alveolar development and the subsequent provision of RA reawakens the gene cascades used during development.

Here, additional evidence that RA is required during alveologenesis in the mouse is provided by showing that disulphiram disrupts this process. A further model of disrupted alveolar development using dexamethasone administered postnatally is then described, and it is further shown that RA administered to these adult mice restores the lung architecture to normal.

Just a little tidbit here.
The lack of Vitamin A in males impacts testicular weight, sperm
morphology and production, and epididymal sperm reserves which leads to fertilization failure
and increased rates of embryo mortality (Rode et al., 1995; Ross et al., 2000).

So I am going to be looking into this some more,

VITAMIN A DEFICIENCY
These findings could also provide clues about the importance of the microbiome in addressing vitamin A deficiency, a problem that is particularly prevalent in Africa and Southeast Asia.

Vitamin A deficiency affects approximately one third of children under the age of five, according to the World Health Organization. Vitamin A deficiency weakens the immune system and increases the risk of infectious diseases. The WHO has been providing at-risk children with vitamin A supplements for the past 25 years, but it hasn’t been as successful as hoped for, according to Vaishnava. This study shows bacteria are a big part of vitamin A absorption and storage and perhaps children need to have the right combination of bacteria in the gut in order for the vitamin A supplements to be most effective, she adds.

If i recall correctly…

With age groups and 13cis administration, blood levels are lower in the older groups at the same dosage. This could apply to altrans as well.

So it could also be another issue that correct bacteria wont fully restore.

So i’ve been taking 35624 for some time now off and on trying to figure some things out, and I think it has made my voice stronger and deeper. Think Thor from GOTG.
This is something I will continue to pay attention to.
Ive looked at alot of different studies regarding dosage, and I think ive settled on at minimum 10 billion cfus twice per day.
From a retinoic acid metabolism standpoint, this could make some sense being that retinyl esters accumulate in the lungs and 35624 may promote retinoic acid metabolism.
Id also maybe even keep covid in mind with this.

1 Like

Chemical-induced retinoid disruption
The report covers an overview of the retinoid system, the role of retinoids in the reproductive organs,
the impact of chemicals on reproduction via the retinoid system, potential adverse outcome pathways,
and an initial scoping effort for the possible role of chemical-induced retinoid disruption of the male
and female reproductive systems. In this report, the term reproduction refers to the formation and
development of reproduction organs and their normal function.

Crosstalk between the retinoid signaling pathway and other endocrine signaling pathways
RXR can heterodimerize with other steroid and nuclear receptors, and functions essentially as a
** master switch between different signaling pathways.** Consequently, the retinoid signaling pathway
can crosstalk with other signaling pathways: in addition to the RARs, the heterodimerization partners
of RXRs include PPARs, TR, and VDR; the vitamin D receptor (Chambon 1996). In addition, crosstalk
with androgenic signaling (Long et al. 2019), as well as with xenobiotica-related receptor pathways,
via e.g. CAR; the constitutive androstane receptor, PXR, and AhR; the aryl hydrocarbon receptor has
been demonstrated. Possible responses to toxic insult include induction of xenobiotica-metabolizing
enzymes (Murphy et al. 2007, Shmarakov et al. 2019).

The Role of Retinoids in Female and Male Reproduction Including a Scoping
Effort to Identify Potential Methods for Regulatory Use

A few thoughts,

Polycystic ovarian syndrome
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common endocrine condition affecting women of
reproductive age, characterized by hyperandrogenism
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is a heterogenous disorder, characterized both by signs of
** androgen excess and ovarian dysfunction (such as irregular ovulation and/or polycystic ovarian
morphology) (Escobar-Morreale 2018). Increased ovarian androgen production from theca cells,
elevated LH:FSH hormone ratio, and enlarged ovaries containing many antral follicles is often
observed; the associated arrest in follicular growth and anovulation can cause subfertility or
infertility (Jiang et al. 2017).

When comparing the response to RA, 9-cis-RA and retinol in cultured theca cells isolated from
normal-cycling women and women with PCOS, only RA led to increased testosterone production
(possibly via increased Cyp17 expression) in normal theca cells, ile in the theca cells of PCOS
patients, all three (RA, retinol, and 9-cis-RA) variants have the same effect (Wickenheisser et al.
** 2005). Thus, in PCOS, theca cells may be sensitized to retinoid signaling stimulation. Moreover,

** mRNA expression of RA-synthesizing enzymes RoDH2 and ALDH6 was increased in PCOS theca cells**
** (Wood et al. 2003), and PCOS ovaries show enhanced expression of RoDH (Marti et al. 2017). These**
** data suggest an increased rate of RA synthesis in the thecal cells of PCOS women** (Jiang et al. 2017).

Epigenetics and its role in the retinoid system
Epigenetic changes are changes in gene expression that
a) do not involve gene sequence alterations
b) may persist after the initial trigger is long gone

Male reproductive organ development, function and health, and the role of retinoids
Degradation of endogenous RA appears to be critical for normal testis development

Impact on female and male reproduction by chemicals acting via the retinoid system
It should be pointed out that effects of chemicals on retinoid homeostasis can be indirect, since some
metabolic enzymes are used both for detoxification and for retinoid homeostasis, If the end result is altered RA concentrations in fetal or adult reproductive organs, correct development and/or function of these organs could be compromised.

#SolvePFS Working Hypothesis