Retinoic Acid Signaling Pathways in Development and Diseases

Retinoids are essential in the development and function of several organ systems; however, deregulated retinoid signaling can contribute to serious diseases.
Quite a bit here. I think its worth saving. Again I dont think it would be lack of vitamin A intake, but how it gets utilized (or doesnt) after that.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4447240/#:~:text=All-trans%20retinoic%20acid%20(RA,cancer%2C%20neuroblastoma%2C%20and%20glioblastoma.

I will post this quote again, I cant even remember where I pulled this from but still, maybe this could be why there could be upregulation of the AR gene if true.

"Surprisingly, androgens can partially compensate for the loss of RA signaling, and we identify a link between the endocrine system and RA signaling"

2 Likes

Keep wondering this.

Maybe RA deficiency could suppress normal liver signalling?

I like how they word this. I’m thinking outside the lungs when it comes to possibilities.

Retinoic acid induces alveolar regeneration in the adult mouse lung

Recent data suggests that exogenous retinoic acid (RA) can induce alveolar regeneration in a mouse and a rat model of experimental emphysema and disrupted alveolar development. This may be because RA is required during normal alveolar development and the subsequent provision of RA reawakens the gene cascades used during development.

Here, additional evidence that RA is required during alveologenesis in the mouse is provided by showing that disulphiram disrupts this process. A further model of disrupted alveolar development using dexamethasone administered postnatally is then described, and it is further shown that RA administered to these adult mice restores the lung architecture to normal.

Just a little tidbit here.
The lack of Vitamin A in males impacts testicular weight, sperm
morphology and production, and epididymal sperm reserves which leads to fertilization failure
and increased rates of embryo mortality (Rode et al., 1995; Ross et al., 2000).

So I am going to be looking into this some more,

VITAMIN A DEFICIENCY
These findings could also provide clues about the importance of the microbiome in addressing vitamin A deficiency, a problem that is particularly prevalent in Africa and Southeast Asia.

Vitamin A deficiency affects approximately one third of children under the age of five, according to the World Health Organization. Vitamin A deficiency weakens the immune system and increases the risk of infectious diseases. The WHO has been providing at-risk children with vitamin A supplements for the past 25 years, but it hasn’t been as successful as hoped for, according to Vaishnava. This study shows bacteria are a big part of vitamin A absorption and storage and perhaps children need to have the right combination of bacteria in the gut in order for the vitamin A supplements to be most effective, she adds.