Recovery and then crash after 6 months!?!?

Where are you from (country)?
Ireland

1. How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
    Google search

2. What is your current age, height, weight?
    25, 5’11, 185lbs

3. Do you excercise regularly? If so, what type of excercise?
    Lift weights 3/4 times a week and cardio 3/4 times per week.

4. What type of diet do you eat (vegetarian, meat eater, raw, fast-food/organic healthy)?
    Mostly meat, veg and fruit. Generally have a take-out once a week.

5. Why did you take Finasteride (hair loss, BPH, other)?
    For hair-loss

6. For how long did you take Finasteride (weeks/months/years)?
    14 days exactly

7. How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start Finasteride?
    24 and started 18/07/2012

8. How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
    24 02/07/2012

9. How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
    Cold Turkey

10. What type of Finasteride did you use – Propecia, Proscar, Fincar or other generic?
    Generic Propecia

11. What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
    1mg per day

12. How long into your use of Finasteride did you notice the onset of side effects?
    13 days

13. What side effects did you experience while on the drug that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?
    Reduced ejaculate and erectile dysfunction

Put an X beside all that apply:

Sexual
[X] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[X] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ ] Loss of Morning Erections
[X] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[X] Watery Ejaculate
[X] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[X] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[ ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ ] Confusion
[ ] Memory Loss / Forgetfullness
[ ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[ ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[X] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[X] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[X] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)
Had periods of eye twitching

1. What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
    Only herbal treatments so far. Take a multi-vitamin specifically for fertility which includes Maca and l-arginine. I also take 50mg of Zinc, 600mg of ginseng and 250iu of vit D daily.

2. If you have pre or post-Finasteride bloodtests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (pls post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?
    I’ve yet to get a blood test but hope to next week (beginning July)

3. Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience with Finasteride?

4. Tell us your story, in your own words, about your Finasteride usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

So in the summer of 2012 I took generic propecia for 14 days which was prescribed to me by a specialized hair-loss clinic in Ireland. Even though I did a decent amount of research on the associated risks, which included coming across this site, I decided to go ahead with the drug. My approach was that If I encounter any sides I’ll come off immediately so that the drug couldn’t have done any irreparable damage (how naive I was). I consciously tried to raise my awareness of how my sexual drive was and on day 13 I noticed a slight drop in libido and watery semen after ejaculating. That was my red flag and I stopped immediately at the start of August 2012. However, I did continue with topical 5% minoxidil.

This is where my story gets slightly confusing! After I stopped I had the spike in sex drive and then the subsequent crash that everyone else seems to go through. My crash involved extreme pain and swelling in my testicles, abdominal pain and pain in my perenium/prostate, however, I don’t recall any crash in my libido or sexual functioning. My doctor gave me an anti-inflammatory and the following week the pain subsided and my life went on seemingly without a hitch. So from late August 2012 to early March 2013 I was 100% in all areas. Then in early March I noticed my libido and sexual health took a massive hit. Erections became much more difficult to maintain and my semen went watery again with little pressure! WTF!!! I was out of the woods for 6 whole months and then BAM I get hit again! The symptoms were moderate at the beginning and I was able to achieve an erection after stimulation and maintain it but this is no longer the case most days. It’s now 4 months on and I’ve noticed no consistent improvements. In fact the symptoms have worsened the past two months. I have almost no lust for women even though I’m a stress-free happy dude who used to be highly sexually driven. I still get morning erections and this seems to be the only time i can keep it up without stimulation. With these symptoms I now have less of a desire to socialize and more of a desire to be isolated. I don’t seem to get the same level of joy from things that I used to. I never get excited about clubbing or drinking with friends any more. It almost feels I’m missing a part of my sole or something.

I’m totally baffled by what’s happened here. It doesn’t seem to make sense how my sexual functions have crashed so long after quitting. One interesting thing to note though is that my crash somehow coincided with me stopping the use of minoxidil. I can’t recall exactly how long after the crash occurred but maybe 2 or 3 weeks after stopping minox. I know this isn’t a site about minox but I need to figure out if it’s played a part. Has anyone has experienced problems with minox? The main question I’d like to ask though is this, has anyone experienced a delay in there post fin crash? I haven’t found one case like mine so I am seriously confused and worried.

As a footnote I’d like to thank the creators of this site and people like Cap and Chi to name but a few who have helped me keep my mental health in tact.

The typical timeline is for men to have a loss of Testosterone weeks after quitting the drug. In your case, being ok 6 months off drug and then losing libido etc could point to other factors other than the drug. Whether Minox played a role in this, doesn’t seem likely as it is a vasodilator, not a 5AR2 inhibitor… but without hormone tests there is no way to be sure what is going on inside your body. I’d recommend you get bloodwork to see where things are at.

I’ve read reports of dudes having similar issues from Minox. When I filed a complaint with the FDA the guy actually mentioned it, and I think someone posted a link here recently to a product page with lots of guys complaining about similar issues that we now face due to Minox. So it’s possible that’s what did you in, probably in combination with whatever lingering Fin issues there were behind the scenes.

Probably not a coincidence that your crash coincided wth Minox.

Hundreds if not thousands of reports all over the knternet of PFS symptoms from it.

askapatient.com/mobile/viewr … FOR+MEN%29

Moonman -
You really should start doing research into this. I think wasting your time on the forum could be preventing a cure. Use your expertise to find a cure!

Wow, I didn’t realise minox could cause this sort of damage. It must occur in very rare cases because a simple Google search doesn’t yield many posts on sexual side effects. I forgot to mention that I actually went back on minoxidil in May for about a week and it was that week that I noticed my problems were very bad as I couldn’t get it up when in bed with a drop-dead stunning girl. Needless to say I felt like a sack of worthless shit for the next week and literally broke down in tears one night because of it. I find it odd though that my symptoms are almost identical to pfs in terms of sexual functioning. As Mew pointed out the products are both completely different in how they operate so how and why are my symptoms so similar. I’m going to try and get bloods done this week if it’s possible and I’ll report back. I’d be very surprised if things come back normal.

One other thing is that the hair loss clinic that prescribed me propecia said they’d be happy to give me a free appointment to discuss my problems in response to a fairly incensed email I sent them. I’ve yet to respond but does anybody think it’s a good idea or is it just a business decision to protect their good name? I’ve little in trust in these people at this stage and I’d be afraid my anger would spill-over into the meeting.

regrowhair.com/general-hair- … e-effects/

I came across this site today which has completely convinced me minox is the culprit. I don’t know exactly how though so I can’t be sure but a lot of people reporting similar symptoms to me. I don’t mean to dilute this forum and take any attention away from propecia but maybe minox has been a player for some people here or maybe it has had some negative contribution, just a thought. It seems for me that I am sensitive to both propecia and minox. Hopefully I’ll recover with the plan to be fully recovered by this time next year at the latest.

Got some blood test results today. I couldn’t get some important things tested because the doctor didn’t think it was necessary and said that due to cut-backs etc that the labs would be reluctant to do anything unusual.

Testosterone: 17.4nmol/L range (8.6 - 29.0) which converts to 501.44ng/dl range(247.83 - 835.734)
FSH: 3.6U/L range (1.5 - 8.6)
LH: 3.7U/L range(1.7 - 8.6)
TSH: 1.27mU/L range(.27 - 4.20)
Free T4: 18.4pmol/L range (12.0 - 22.0) which converts to 530.25ng/dl
Progesterone: 4.0 nmol/L range(.7 - 4.3)
Prolactin: 182mU/L range (86-324)

I would appreciate if anyone could interpret these or comment, especially on testosterone. I think it’s quite low for a 25 year old man. my TSH seems low too.

Can’t say I’m feeling any better than one month ago. What’s even more worrying is that I’m not having any good days which I used to have occasionally. Some things I’ve noticed though is that if I abstain for a day or two I can maintain erections longer and I still seem to consistently get morning wood, which is good.

Its a business decision. If these hair loss clinics really cared about people they would not give out Finasteride in the first place.

StayingStrong I have just sent you an email I may be able to help you.

Not sure if the op is active still but wanted to let you know that I stopped in 2009 and had great libido all of 2010, 2011 started to slip a little and by Sept 2011 full blown crash, 7 years later and still getting worse, I’ve had a few months of libido in between… but overall it’s been a decline… good luck, just wanted u to know that very much delayed reaction can definitely occur…

orgasms really hurt me btw… if I was to remain abstinent from orgasm I might be able to heal, but it would take many years., and once u start back the damage comes back