Rapid hairloss from accutane [80% of scalp hair GONE in 4 months] (Gunnersup)

I disagree. The hairloss is not MPB, I’ve read so many ancedotal evidence of people with diffuse accutane hairloss who went on propecia to no avail. I’m on Nizoral to help stop inflammation.

The hairloss is either Diffuse alopeica areata or Lichen Planopilaris. It’s not MPB

Let’s refrain from bold assertions about others’ post-drug afflictions please.

Ok, my bad. Thought all androgen related hair loss was pattern balding.

I was under the impression that “male-pattern baldness” was a general description hair loss where the “crown” remains full despite a receding hairline?

There has been much debate about what form of balding occurs post-Accutane, with most of the accounts I have read claiming they were diagnosed with telogen effluvium, which may be a form of hair loss also under the influence of hormones.

It doesn’t help matters when clinicians also appear to have difficulty with a proper diagnosis:

… But I guess one shouldn’t expect too much from a dermatologist…

I agree with you, however I will make the controversial statement that Telogen Effluvium is actually hardly ever seen in people with accutane hairloss. At the end of the day, I believe all accutane hairloss is either diffuse alopeica areata or Lichen Planopilaris. I think Telogen Effluvium is extremely rare

Update- Today I got diagnosed with Lichen Planopilaris. I will continue with my tofacitinib, and switch once my University derm prescribes me an oral medicaiton. Big news.

I’ll stop posting here now that ai know the cause. But essentially, accutane triggered Lichen Planopilaris. Maybe I’ll continue updating through the months of anyone cares. I’m going to be following my doctor’s protocol

2 Likes

well according to google Lichen Planopilaris is permanent because follicle is destroyed and replaced with scarring. How is that treatable ?

I’m early stage, you can recover hair from LPP up until the follicle opening gets scarred which takes time. The derm noted I currently have no scarring, granted she didn’t really check every area of my scalp. It’s treatable because the goal of this disease is to prevent further hairloss and the inevitable scarring

well i had one pill of accutane, wonder if it could trigger diffuse hair loss. 1 pill was enough for sexuality loss.

It’s not diffuse loss, it’s Lichen Planopilaris, a very specific autoimmune issue.

Your ED/sexuality loss is likely also inflammation, according to my theory. I’m sure immuno-suppressants would help you

how was it diagnosed then with no scarring?
Did she take a biopsy or anything?
My hairloss was diffuse over my entire body.’
alot of what im looking at online appears to be patchy hair loss with Lichen Planopilaris.
Mine was not patchy.

No biopsy. I did not mention LPP, she was the one who quickly brought it up, keep in mind she is a big time published derm at my University.

She said it was LPP mostly through seeing Pili Torti (Classic finding of LPP in which hair shaft twists irregularaly), and also me telling her I have full body hairloss. The miniturizized hairs also play a role in her diagnosis.

She ordered a blood test so I took it, bit I am curious if the tofacitinib I’m on will skew the results. Oh well

1 Like

Diffuse LPP is seen, I’m also in contact with multiple people who also got diagnosed with LPP after accutane

1 Like

What blood test?

1 Like

Didn’t ask :grimacing::grimacing:. Probably CBC, antibodies, white blood cells, and maybe more. Though I’m only guessing.

Fuark I shouldn’t have been on tofacitinib, it may skew everything, I might call her and just say what I’ve been doing

ok thx. Im going to schedule a derm appointment and mention this. If I have no scarring its probably not Lichen Planopilaris because im 20 years out.

1 Like

Please visit a reputable derm, preferably at a University. I’ve visited multiple derms who have never even heard of Lichen Planopilaris when I mentioned it.

I would think they would at least be able to recognize scarring though?
Did the other people you are in contact with have scarring?

1 Like

You can look for scarring urself if you order a trichoscope off eBay, that’s what I originally did. It’s easy to see