Questions regarding emotions/Anhedonia

I have Anhedonia from finasteride use .

As I look back now I realize it came on over time whilst I was still using the drug , I kept blaming it on things like being stressed from work , disappointments in love life at the time etc

It picked up bad in 2019 , the final year I used finasteride and once I discontinued it remained really - but I did have moments of feeling emotions , connection, desire, passion again last year (2020).however it seemed to coincide with when I had better sleep.

Since Xmas I have had a nightmare of relapses …not too sure what caused it , could have been Amitriptyline but wouldn’t like to say for sure.
Sleep has been dreadful past 3 months (as bad as after the inital discontinuation) and I realize I seem to have more Anhedonia returning too, which sucks.

It’s grim…it really is. Lack of pleasure in things that used to bring enjoyment , blunted emotions etc

One thing I have noticed is…and this is my question really: I am still incredibly moved by nostalgia and sentiments from my past, things like : places, objects, toys that were mine, books, pictures from the time I was small etc etc

If I’m in a good way on the day nostalgia triggers warmth , fond memories - as it should . Sometimes it does the opposite though and triggers a deep emotional response …but could this be perhaps a sign that I am slowly starting to feel things again?
Are the guys who have the extreme Anhedonia on here able to cry for instance ? Just wondered what the general opinion is and if I’m slowly heading in the right direction with recovery …

3 Likes

I feel you on this one. Finasteride is only one of the bad choices I have made and growing older makes things worse. I’m quite emotional by nature and thinking about the past can make me feel worse.

But man, i know all too well what you mean with anhedonia and it’s hard to explain to people who can’'t relate. I’m pretty sure this is a dopamine problem, as this is the reward chemical. Have you tried Wellbutrin? This might really help you with the mental sides.

1 Like

Thanks for your understanding too, I’m just hoping that connecting with nostalgia and feeling happy/ sad from it, is a sign things are getting better . I have days where I do feel stuff strongly again…so
I think once you have the ability to feel it again, the potential is there.

I have tried Wellbutrin but it was many years ago before this PFS stuff, I would like try it again. Have you used it? Do you know other ways dopamine can be improved or boosted ? I know it’s sport that can do it naturally…sometimes though when I run I don’t feel that natural runners high anymore :man_shrugging: bit of a shame , just keep going and hope it starts creeping back!

@ithought

This is easily my worst symptom, even worse than the lack of libido. I’d give an arm to get rid of the emotional numbness.

1 Like

Ahh that’s grim :pensive: I’m sorry to hear that. I know it’s difficult …especially as people always suggest to do things to help, like Anhedonia is something easily fixed like going for a walk or doing yoga etc

What about trying adderall or a stimulant perhaps ? (Legal one of course !!)