Problems with swallowing food

Since few days i am having severe difficilty with swallowing food. Seems like my chest muscles have got so much shrunked that it’s choking the foodpipe. I am just dying of this.

3 Likes

This has happened to me. I end up panicking and then proceeding to swiftly chug drink

1 Like

You can’t get solids down the esophagus? I developed dysphagia as well following supplementation with an NAD+ booster and went to the ER as I was constantly choking on food, thin liquids, and especially my saliva. In my case, I developed a motor dysfunction of the laryngeal muscles. I thought this was how it was going to end for me.

2 Likes

@Mercked did it settle down after a while, did this particular side go away. Its a worrying one I’ve had it occasionally only thankfully

Yeah, it’s truly horrific. What is your symptom like? A month and two weeks later I got better but my swallowing is still impaired. I still have to completely avoid certain foods, fruits, vegetables. Still choking on things every day. I randomly had some days when I got markedly worse, coughing from my own saliva until I am blue in the face. Not sure why. Some of my muscle dystrophy symptoms come and go, some feel permanent. If this goes away I’ll be forever so grateful.

1 Like

Yes, it gets choked… it started recently as my muscles around the chest are severely tightened and atrophied. People in this forum are underestimating what this drug do to the musculoskeketal framework.

2 Likes

This is not that kind of a choke which happens to normal people when they laugh while eating, this is a severe disability, something like that ALS, but i don’t believe i have it.

1 Like

Oh, god. I am so sorry to hear what you’re going through. Right now I am trying to get an ENT to give me a modified barium swallow study which images the mouth, throat, and upper esophagus. If your problem starts at the chest, then maybe you need a barium swallow study.

1 Like

I believe if my muscles start to accept the androgens, all my problems would get cured. I don’t have any sort of underlying conditions. Each and every muscle in my body has become like this since that last tablet 14 months ago.

1 Like

I had a few episodes where food got stuck and I couldn’t swallow like there was glass in my esophagus. I’ve had the same without eating too. Thankfully it’s not often. I don’t touch any plant food, fruits, veg or salad anymore. After every meal I always produce lots of phlem that started approx 6 months ago. Although it doesn’t cause me a problem I know its not normal. I also have constant acid reflux and they found a 2cm hole in my esophagus a few months ago. I guess its the same as what’s visible on te outside "muscle and tissue disintegration " I hope some of these particular sides settle for you as it does feel like it could be the end when your fighting to swallow and breath. You’re in my prayers.

1 Like

I’m not saying you’re wrong to do that and would not doubt your experience, but have you been too hasty with this?

I avoided a lot of things but gradually reintroduced a lot of them.

Some things I’m sure you don’t miss, but do you even avoid staples like onions and potatoes?

1 Like

@Papasmurf described the same issue: “I’m losing my ability to swallow which has considerably gotten worse over the last few weeks choking on food and water it’s as if my my throat has lost its muscle strength and can no longer handle food” on 12 june (sorry I promised to be upsent for a while, but those things make me painful. But I hope you find accepteble food for good meal, that you can enjoy without pain!)

1 Like

@Greek I miss all fruit veg and salad mate I lived on it. I had to stop eating it as it was destroying me. One by one I re introduced them and even the smallest amount caused a horror show. The only thing that I can have is tomatoes which I have at least once per day. I had one Brussel sprout recently and if put me in bed for two days with an unbelievable reaction. I will only stay off them as long as they hurt me. I was a health food fanatic and enjoyed my diet so much. Its not by choice believe me. I appreciate you’r concern as always and I also remember if correct that tomatoes were yonce ou’re only friends a while ago

I am so sorry to hear that mate.

You’re right that I mentioned tomatoes, but they were something people said to avoid and I was off them for a bit.

I still steer clear of Soy, all mushrooms and a couple of other bits I’m cautious about (blueberry and mango, for example) but I’ve been back on tomatoes since Axolotl told me he ate chips with ketchup and pizza (tomato sauce) and I reasoned that those things are so concentrated that it would be like eating a load of toms.

I’m gutted for you. I believe you, but it sounds unbelievable that a sprout could mess with someone so much, I hope we get some understanding of what’s going on soon.

1 Like

Cheers mate I know irs extreme to anyone and everyone no wonder we don’t get an audience when we spill the effects of this. Over or under expression of so many genes causing chaos I don’t know!!! I’m at a loss its truly off the map.

When I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis my gastroenterologist would always ask, hows your swallowing?

When I had my first endoscopy my Gastro Dr before even seeing any biopsies said it “wasn’t normal” after the procedure. He could tell it wasnt normal just by looking at it.

U got diagonised with this before or after pfs/pas?

Years after I had taken Accutane is when I had my first endoscopy. Ive had 2 now. Eosinophilic esophagitis was confirmed both times.
Its not to say this possibly wasnt already an issue before Accutane though, I just never had this kind of test that young.
I do have allergies, this could maybe fall in line with that as well.

Eosinophilic esophagitis can also cause a sensation of food getting stuck in your throat.

1 Like