Probiotic NVP-1704 shown to reduce depression and anxiety and help sleep

1 Like

The human gut microbiome is closely linked to mental health and sleep. We aimed to verify the efficacy and safety of probiotic NVP-1704, a mixture of Lactobacillus reuteri NK33 and Bifidobacterium adolescentis NK98, in improving stress, depression, anxiety, and sleep disturbances, along with the measurement of some blood biomarkers. A total of 156 healthy adults with subclinical symptoms of depression, anxiety, and insomnia were retrospectively registered and randomly assigned to receive either NVP-1704 (n = 78) or a placebo (n = 78) for eight weeks. Participants completed the Stress Response Inventory, Beck’s Depression and Anxiety Inventory, Pittsburg Sleep Quality Index, and Insomnia Severity Index at baseline, at four and eight weeks of treatment. Pre- and post-treatment blood tests for biomarkers were conducted. After intervention, gut microbiota composition was quantified by pyrosequencing the bacterial 16S rRNA gene. The NVP-1704 group had a more significant reduction in depressive symptoms at four and eight weeks of treatment, and anxiety symptoms at four weeks compared to the placebo group. Those receiving NVP-1704 also experienced an improvement in sleep quality.

Very interesting thanks for posting.

I’ll order some of these strains and check if they do anything.

Sadly TNF-a wasn’t lowered. TNF-a has a role in penile fibrosis.

But IL6 was lowered and it’s a factor involved in Peyronie’s disease (which some of us have).

1 Like

Bacteria and bacteria alone could lift depression or cause it.

Ingestion of Bifidobacterium longum changes miRNA levels in the brains of mice

The goal of this study is to further understand the relationship between the gut microbiota and its impacts on neurological gene expression and brain function.

Where do you order these strains from?

This brand / probiotic has Bifidobacterium adolescentis. It’s not many brand who use this bacteria.

The Reuteri one you can find in many diffent probiotics.

1 Like

I have been taking this brand of probiotics for a month now and I have seen some improvent in terms of mood and mental sharpness. Not so sure about sleep yet, I don’t think it has done anything so far.

This brand is kind of expensive so I will be looking for others brands that offer the same kind of bacteria.