PIRACETAM

I just recently found out that piracetam improve the function of acetylcholine. Having taking choline supplement and felt improvement from it, made me decide to try piracetam.

I took from the lowest dosage available 400 mg (generic) tablet, the result was after 1/2 hour i felt calm as if i am taking xanax ( i used to take it) and after one hour i felt sleepy. It made me sleepy for the rest
of the afternoon.

The next day i decided to take it at night one hour before bed, the same
thing happened again it made me sleepy and force me to go to bed sooner. Then i tried to up the dose to 600 mg (devide 1200 mg tablet into to, its not generic tablet) same thing just make me sleepy not much
different from 400 mg tablet.

Last i took full dose of 1200 mg, same result not much different from 400mg tablet.

I did not experince any increase in libido, erection etc the only noticable
effect it has on me is i felt calm, relaxed and then sleepy.

Not sure what to think about this as i read that one of the side effect is insomnia but for me its the opposite.

I’ve used piracetam on and off for over 7 years and never had it make me sleepy. It usually energizes my mind a bit.
The big thing I notice with it, is my word recall is MUCH better and I speak much more fluidly.

I’ve recently tried this and I agree it has benficial effects on the mind. I work with number all day and I had a very easy time with my recall on long strings of numbers. This has been lagging and is more difficult now post fin. I was pleased with the results. I’ve read that you need to cycle it though or else you will build tolerance.

I don’t think cycling is as important as making sure you take it with a source of choline, be it lecithin, choline citrate or something else.

Piracetam Info:

Abstract: Piracetam (2-oxo-1-pyrrolidine-acetamide), the most common of the nootropic drugs, is a cyclic derivative of gamma-aminobutyric acid. The treatment with piracetam improves learning, memory, brain
metabolism, and capacity. Piracetam has been shown to alter the physical properties of the plasma membrane by increasing its fluidity and by protecting the cell against hypoxia. It increases red cell deformability and normalizes aggregation of hyperactive platelets. Piracetam is an agent with antithrombotic, neuroprotective and rheological properties. The interaction of this molecule with the membrane phospholipids restores membrane
fluidity and could explain the efficacy of piracetam in various disorders ranging from dementia and vertigo to myoclonus and stroke.

ptfarm.pl/pub/File/wydawnictwa/acta_pol_2005/acta5_2005/pdf-y/405-409.pdf

Piracetam and Aphasia:

Background and Purpose—In a prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, it was investigated whether piracetam improves language recovery in poststroke aphasia assessed by neuropsychological tests and activation PET measurement of cerebral blood flow.
Methods—Twenty-four stroke patients with aphasia were randomly allocated to 2 groups: 12 patients received 2400 mg piracetam twice daily, 12 placebo. Before and at the end of the 6-week treatment period in which both groups received intensive speech therapy, the patients were examined neuropsychologically and studied with H2 15O PET at rest and during activation with a word-repetition task. Blood flow was analyzed in 14 language-activated brain regions defined on reconstructed surface views from MRI coregistered to the PET images. Results—Before treatment, both groups were comparable with respect to performance in language tasks and to type and severity of aphasia. In the piracetam group, increase of activation effect was significantly higher (P,0.05) in the left transverse temporal gyrus, left triangular part of inferior frontal gyrus, and left posterior superior temporal gyrus after the treatment period compared with the initial measures. The placebo group showed an increase of activation effect only in the left vocalization area. In the test battery, the piracetam group improved in 6 language functions, the placebo group only in 3 subtests.
Conclusions—Piracetam as an adjuvant to speech therapy improves recovery of various language functions, and this effect is accompanied by a significant increase of task-related flow activation in eloquent areas of the left hemisphere.

stroke.ahajournals.org/cgi/reprint/31/9/2112.pdf

I’d like to try Piracetam, but its not available in the united states. Does anyone know of a drug (OTC or prescription) that has a similar affect?

Hi All - I got my hands on some Piracetam - i heard its very good to improve visual perception. I plan to take it, but wanted to know first if anyone had any warning. Everytime i try something i later find out its a 5ARi or someone has had a bad experience with it. Thanks in advance.

1 Like