PFS - the POW Analogy

If this is offensive let me know. I don’t mean to diminish the sacrifices of war veterans. But this disease is similar to the psychological experience of a group of people being captured in a primitive POW camp.

We are basically tortured everyday (with different ailments). We don’t know what new torturing ailment is coming next. Some days are better than others. Some days are worse. We don’t know if we will ever be rescued.

Some of us keep hope alive that we will be rescued and try to survive by not making things worse and waiting it out. Some of us try daring ways to escape leading to many casualties but a few successful escapes. Some of us give up all hope of escape. Some of us just go crazy or get desperate. Some of us are all these at different times.

It’s a crazy thing we are going through.

7 Likes

Good analogy.

After 2 years, I’m the prisoner who sits shell shocked, waiting for a rescue.

Sometimes I’ll block out the theories and plans of others, because it seems too hopeless.

Other times, I’ll read an account that sparks hope for the future…for a little while, at least.

When I was younger my IQ tested at genius level. Now this talk of 5ar and epigenetic and over/underexpressed genes is like a foreign language to me. I’m the fourth grade student in a room full of physicists.

I’m tired. Jim

5 Likes

Sorry to hear about your troubles brother. I have some lingering cognitive issues as well but am able to manage with increased effort. But I do feel I am at a lower level of cognitive ability. I used to be an exceptional writer but that is no more. I like that you identified this post as an analogy because my post-fin brain couldn’t come up with the word. The movie Rescue Dawn brought up this analogy for me.

2 years is long compared to my 8 weeks. I hope we can eventually organize and increase awareness and research. A tall order to request of a group of quite ill people. I will try to increase my activism after I reach a suitable health condition out of love for my fellow brothers in suffering. Rest up brother. Those of us with the strength will carry the burden. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, means alot.

4 Likes

I don’t understand why this subject gets no attention. Let’s bring it back to the top and see what happens, @Wegotyou

1 Like

100%. This is an analogy I’ve used with patients before, and has helped me adjust my expectations to living with this condition. If I think of it as permanent, that I will die like this, that there is no escape, then there’s not much point in living because there’s no end game, no escape.

If I think of it as a temporary nightmare, even though that temporal period is quite long, it helps me contextualise what I/we need to do to escape. Right now we’re all suffering immensely, but if we collectively accept that and stop running around in circles and towards real progress, we’ll have a day where we are not.

I hope we can eventually organize and increase awareness and research. A tall order to request of a group of quite ill people. I will try to increase my activism after I reach a suitable health condition out of love for my fellow brothers in suffering.

That has been happening and is accelerating right now. We hope to have some positive news on this front soon, and we’ll be looking for extra volunteers to help out. If you’d like to get involved at some point please reach out.

5 Likes

This is the perfect analogy.

1 Like

can we skip to the scene at 3:20 when Mitch De Niro blows out VietMerck’s brains? @Sugarhouse

3 Likes

LOL. Fuck what a film.

1 Like

One of my favorites! Rescue Dawn isn’t as good but not bad for a POW film.

I might rewatch Rescue Dawn now that you mention it! Although, I think Unbroken is more appropriate in our current situation given Dieter Dengler was only a POW for a short time.