PFS/PAS/PSSD for me: Permanent refractory period

I once had mental sides but now my PAS seems to basically be a permanent refractory period. Or at least one that is over 10 years long.

I was thinking, all this focus on hormones, receptors, and so on. Those may be involved. But at the same time, ultimately, what we’re really talking about here for some of us is basically inactivation of potassium channels.

I sure wish someone had followed up on the laser research that Waldinger was conducting on treating PSSD with lasers for penile anaesthesia. For perhaps the majority of us, if our dick neurons would just start polarize again the way they once did then we would really be fine. Life could go on. We could have families. The worst tragedy of this condition would be eliminated.

Just wanted to draw attention to Na+ channels. People don’t talk about them enough here. Maybe all the focus on a deep understanding of our condition might be missing the tree for the forest. Maybe all we really need is “just” to get the Na+ channels working right again.

4 Likes

I think Dr David Healy in the UK (now Canada) had some related thoughts a few years ago. I don’t know more on it but he is generally responsive to communications, you can email him easily enough.

yes Healy was exploring this, and he believes ion channels depolarisation, is involved in SSRI induced ED. But I couldn’t find this specific study now. It is known that most SSRI are blocking and messing up K+ and NA+ channels.

Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction:
A Bioelectric Mechanism?
https://sci-hub.do/https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/bioe.2019.0010

2 Likes

Also it seems D1/D2 receptors regulate NA+/K+channels

1 Like

Have you experienced any periods of recovery? Even if it’s one day?

I have, yes. Maybe 70% or so recovery. But probably less than 5 times and only for a day or two.

And I presume these recoveries came out of nowhere and you wasn’t able to find any correlation behind them? What about time? Did they tend to occur more often in the beginning of your PAS?

I was really surprised once to recover fully for one day and close to fully for a couple of weeks. But it all disappeared like a dream.

The refractory period is a good inkling and something to look at more closely.

More specifically potassium channels.