PFS Book Club----

Anyone interested in this idea? We could recommend different titles and discuss the themes etc.

1 Like

Yes. I need to get back into reading. I’d also like to start hosting game nights. Maybe we could connect on a multiplayer game if people are into that sort of thing.

2 Likes

Something we could play asynchronously would be great, as patients are all over the world.

1 Like

I’m all about Total War games

Diplomacy on backstabbr is great for that

1 Like

Nassim Taleb’s incerto collection

Read it slow. Read it often and repeatedly

2 Likes

Incerto (Deluxe Edition): Fooled by Randomness, The Black Swan, The Bed of Procrustes, Antifragile, Skin in the Game?

I know of Taleb. Why do you recommend this collection?

1 Like

Haven’t read the rest of the series, but Antifragile’s a classic. I’ve read a synopsis of The Black Swan. I’ll have to go back and read the rest of this series.

2 Likes

Taleb’s incerto series is a landmark literature on the subject of probabilities and randomness

But personally I’d like to describe him as the person that turned common sense into a science

1 Like

If you read only 1, it’s “fooled by randomness”

Life changing, as the rest are, but fooled by randomness gives the biggest impact and a foundation to build on top of with the other books

1 Like

Ok! I’ll get it this weekend and dive into it. Will come back here with my thoughts next week.

1 Like

@M_C @Recovery18 @lakehouse

I did some book shopping yesterday and picked up these titles. M_C mentioned David Sinclair in a message to me many months ago so I’ve begun reading Lifespan. It’s extremely interesting and the writing style is very engaging and fluid. Would highly recommend it. It’s also a very encouraging and optimistic book for people with PFS to read.

I’m going to start reading Taleb’s book soon. And as a big history buff I’ve always wanted to read E.H. Carr’s work. Especially since I just finished Stephen Kotkin’s first book on Joseph Stalin (paradoxes of power).

3 Likes

I can also recommend Lifespan by David Sinclair. Great book.

1 Like

I couldn’t recommend this series on Stalin by Stephen Kotkin more highly. Each book is over 900 pages long, but it’s incredible material.

1 Like

Secret for more money for studies :shushing_face:

2 Likes

Two completely different topics, but both fantastic reads. What Doesn’t Kill Us is premised around cold weather/water training, but shows us just how resilient our body’s truly are. We’re gonna be godlike machines when we all eventually come out of this.

Influence is just an awesome, awesome book about the psychologically of persuasion. Great for business and leadership.

2 Likes

i should get paid for shilling for Taleb.

“Fooled by Randomness” is imo a fundamental staple for the stock markets