Penile anesthesia in PSSD responds to low power laser

klinikum.uni-muenchen.de/Uro … _2010a.pdf

Localization and Function of Cannabinoid Receptors in the Corpus Cavernosum: Basis for Modulation of Nitric Oxide Synthase Nerve Activity

bio.net/mm/neur-sci/2003-Sep … 55346.html

Measom, M. O. (1992) Penile anaesthesia and fluoxetine. American Journal of Psychiatry, 149, 709.
↵ Neill, J. R. (1991) Penile anaesthesia associated with fluoxetine. American Journal of Psychiatry, 148, 1603 .

Ellison, J. M. & DeLuca, P. (1998) Fluoxetine-induced genital anaesthesia relieved by Ginkgo biloba extract. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 59, 199 -200.

regarding your first post, i think jthese transient receptor potential ion channels are very relevant for pfs pssd and cfs.maybe they are the root

we shoukd look more into them

Has anyone tried this laser?

I have. Hasn’t worked for me.

1 Like

Hi jrums, I was just reading this paper and getting very excited, but then I see it didn’t work for you at all? The way I look at things is that our problems are a combination of many things, so seeing an article reporting that one of them (genital anesthesia) might be relatively simple to address was very encouraging.

Could you say something more about how you went about getting this procedure performed? Even though it apparently didn’t work for you, I’m still interested in learning as much as I can about it. I was actually thinking of contacting the doctor who authored the paper. But maybe you got the procedure performed through Goldstein?

Hey yeah I went to a local physical therapy clinic first. They had a very expensive one and I did 10 treatments there. But it was getting expensive and I bought a $200 on Amazon and had been using it for a few months. But I know some of them cost like $5,000. But I think you should contact the author, Dr. Waldinger, and see what model laser he used cause I think that might matter.

Would you be willing to retry it if the model was different?

Yes as long as the model isn’t like $5,000.

I wonder a little of the physical therapist might not have known what he/she was doing. It seems to me it might require particular expertise since it’s a relatively new practice that is still being developed and probably considerably different from most other physical therapy applications.

Could you say about what the cost was with the expensive machine?

It was like $50 a session. Insurance might cover it though for some but I have crappy insurance now cause I can’t work. According to the paper it takes 20 sessions so it was adding up. They just left me alone in a room to do it. The laser I bought online is not as good as the one they had there but it’s still a laser. I would like to know the exact model Waldinger used. Probably expensive.

To be honest that doesn’t sound like it was a good evaluation of the potential of this procedure. We need to look into this further.

A measured 40% increased sensitivity by apparently reputable paper is huge if you ask me.

1 Like

I agree. But I hope it’s not like everything else in this condition in that something that works for one person has no effect on someone else. It would be great if someone else could try it.

If you read the paper the laser used was a 915 nm 100 mW Omega XP. He’s a very reputable doctor and researcher in neurology and sexology. I think this looks extremely promising and wish I’d seen it earlier. A nerve is a nerve if it works on one person it ought to work on another.

Damn those lasers are expensive. I bought a cheaper one for a few hundred. That one is $8,775 at one place. The one used at physical therapy was similar. It says 15 20 minute sessions. I did 10 in physical therapy and a bunch more with home laser. Wish I could try that exact powerful laser. Would love to ask Waldinger some questions.

It wasn’t Waldinger that applied the laser. It was the second author of the paper. What kind of questions would you ask? Just curious.

I want to know if it matters exactly what laser is used. If I need to use the laser I bought more often since it’s probably weaker. And if you should move it around. And if it always works. Stuff like that.

Maybe you should set an appointment with the second author. I don’t think Waldinger is involved in that. He’s a psychiatrist not physical therapist. But the other guy does seem to know what he’s doing since he got results with the patient in paper.