Oxytocin Increases 5AR Activity in Prostate

Interesting article I came across… btw, GHB (Xyrem) increases Oxytocin - http://www.biopsychiatry.com/ghb/authentic.html

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/116843667/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

Original Article
Oxytocin increases 5-reductase activity of human prostate epithelial cells, but not stromal cells

Abstract

BACKGROUND
Oxytocin is known to modulate 5–reductase expression and has, therefore, been implicated in the etiology and novel pharmacological treatments of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). These suggestions have been made in the absence of any direct evidence that oxytocin regulates expression or activity of 5–reductase isoenzymes in the human prostate. This study evaluated the effects of oxytocin on the activity and expression of 5–reductase isoenzymes I and II of human prostate stromal (PrSC; primary site of BPH development) and epithelial (PrEC) cells.

METHODS
Cell cultures were incubated with oxytocin, or oxytocin plus a specific oxytocin antagonist for 24 hr, and conversion of 3H-Testosterone to dihydrotestosterone used to estimate total 5–reductase activity and to determine activity of both type I and type II isoenzymes. Fully quantitative real-time RT-PCR determined levels of expression of both isoenzymes following treatments.

RESULTS
Oxytocin significantly increased the total 5–reductase activity of PrEC but not of PrSC. 5–Reductase I gene expression and enzyme activity were also increased (P < 0.05) in PrEC by oxytocin. Oxytocin significantly increased type II activity, but not expression, in PrEC. Oxytocin did not significantly affect 5–reductase activity or expression in PrSC.

CONCLUSION
Both 5–reductase I and II are expressed in normal human prostate stromal and epithelial cells. Only 5–reductase isoenzymes of prostate epithelium are modulated by oxytocin. Prostate 68: 115-121, 2008. © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

Makes you wonder about masturbation and balding haha.

Does anyone know from anecdotal experience if oxytocin works to remedy side effects from Propecia?

Terp03,

Very interesting read. I know from various neuroscience and biochem courses that oxytocin and dopamine are the key to sexual functioning. This sheds light on how Propecia could be affecting the oxytocin levels, since it is inhibiting 5AR2 enzymes. This adds more credence to an imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain.

Kirrabeachbum,

I love the enthusiasm and willingness to think outside of the box, but you can’t just take something to increase Oxytocin; at least, you can’t take it any conventional manners. You could, theoretically, try GHB/Xyrem but they are Schedule I/Schedule III (respectively) drugs in the United States of America. I know for me, obtaining Xyrem would be very difficult as I’m still that age (and appearance) where the Doc’s would be thinking, “this kid just wants to get fucked up.”

Otherwise, there is synthetic oxytocin which you can inject directly into your body known as Pitocin, but this is incredibly hard to obtain and can have a whole slew of side effects if you don’t know the right dosage. Unless you’re giving birth in a hospital and you are having trouble conceiving, I doubt you’ll be able to get it.

There are natural ways of increasing Oxytocin, and the link I will provide to you lists some examples. Please do give this a read over, as it may answer a lot of questions YOU or anyone reading this may have.

reuniting.info/science/sex_in_the_brain