Out of the wilderness: New scientific research and major awareness campaign

Hello everyone, great news here. Will be donating, and will be getting relatives to donate. I have some confusion if someone can help clear up:

1. Wasn’t there supposed to be another study proposed? Asking because I remember someone saying 2 new studies are being designed and waiting for funding upon announcement.

2. Do any of the scientists have any guesses as to how many studies may need to be conducted to get a good enough understanding of the “why” enough to make forward progress onto therapeutics?

3. I’m assuming this is not going to be a study like baylor, so how long would it take to complete assuming we start tomorrow?

5 Likes

Hi @lakehouse

Good questions.

1. Sorry for any confusion, but that’s not the case. This is the current offering for patients, although we will continue to consult with other researchers moving forward.
  2. No they don’t. I know we are all suffering but unfortunately it’s impossible - and also irresponsible - to guess.
  3. While the study itself will take a few years to publish, we hope the findings will allow planning and beginning of further projects before that time.

Thank you for your support.

6 Likes

So will the scientists who have published in Nature Reviews and Cell Reports participate in this study?

5 Likes

Brilliant work to both @axolotl and @Sugarhouse, along with the legacy of @awor. I second everything that @M_C said. It really does feel like this is a proper community now and that through everyone’s efforts we are starting to see the traction that we’d long hoped for.

Hats off to all of your hard work and to many more years (hopefully not too many :stuck_out_tongue: ) of progress towards beating this!

11 Likes

Upon reading my 2nd question again i feel stupid for even asking :smiley:

thanks for the response.

To follow up on your answer to 3) - will we have more transparency regarding the studies? if so, what would that look like?

2 Likes

Good question.

Science intended for peer review can’t be a blow by blow but we will keep everyone updated as far as possible. We’re in constant and good communication with the researchers involved.

4 Likes

The researcher published in Cell will not be directly involved in the study, but will continue to provide collaborative input. The researcher published in Nature will perform the sequencing.

3 Likes

Fantastic/ exciting news @axolotl and @Sugarhouse thank you and the utmost appreciation for your efforts and work. I can’t find the right words to do this justice. The same level of praise is directed towards the moderators/admin and everyone else who is contributing in some wayl. The fact that everyone on here is ill makes it all the more remarkable. :pray:
Mitch would it possible to provide a regular update on where we are against the target of raising the 80k

I will donate 250 later today , this will becomae a regular amount from myself.

Can you send/provide me a link to this communication minus the comments as I want to fan it out and also forward it to some clinicians?

KR
Laz

9 Likes

I want to congratulate the whole admin team for getting this off the ground - naturally it’s a project I will be donating towards, but was just hoping to get a sense of a variety of possible paths forward in attempting to understand and ultimately treat this condition. What is the hope and possible series of research undertakings this would lead onto?

While I’m not a biologist by occupation, I was hoping you could explain, in laymans terms or otherwise (I can do my own research) why investigation of ‘spatial organisation of chromatin’ is the optimal path forward in attempting to determine the driving mechanism behind the induction of PFS. What is promising is that these scientists are on the cutting edge of research in their domain, and interested in our condition, and that in of itself is a marvel, but I was just wanting to get a sense as to why this is the best way to spend 80,000 euros. I’m in no way disputing the utility (you’re much more well-versed in the likely pathomechanisms of this condition than myself), but rather trying to understand why this was chosen over possible alternative domains of research.

Thanks again.

3 Likes

hi @orthogs - Many practical factors including a current expertise, past work, ability and interest to build on findings with a focus on uncovering the pathomechanism rather than completing one study, technologies and data processing pipelines at the centres (critical), and a working relationship. Crucially, the scientists’ appreciation of what is happening to patients based on literature, our data and experience with the more peculiar aspects. As an additional benefit, the cost would be significantly higher - I would expect double - if we were paying for personnel and work. We are only being charged the cost of sequencing.

Regarding the aims of this study: To find alterations that provide a basis for cell/animal modelling of the pathology. Obviously Baylor’s report, unlike the findings and hypotheses in other prior investigations, tie directly to the entire network of PFS symptoms - physical, sexual, and neurocognitive. As many of these are relevant to the symptoms in other tissues affected (brain, bone, skin, liver, etc), it strongly suggests that a cross-tissue mechanism is occurring in androgen target tissue. There isn’t another explanation for how one pill cases, or cases triggered suddenly after potentially years, have such an onslaught of multisystem symptoms occurring together, which include very peculiar and specific symptoms not seen in other conditions. I can say from experience, it’s very unlikely a doctor will believe you when your penis is eroding progressively and your semen has turned to water after a brief exposure to finasteride, and you cannot safely cross a road anymore due to complete cognitive incapacity. A lot of what happens in PFS is remarkable and novel, especially at the hard end, and as one of Irwig’s papers states “the symptoms reported go far beyond what is formally assessed by the ASEX”.

In terms of the “best” option, this is the option that made the most sense to us at this time. I would certainly prefer the investigate to use tissue from the brain and prostate, the sites of highest AR activity, but as you can easily imagine there are no reasonable paths to obtaining that. As the tissue used in Baylor is now validated twice in studies (Di Loreto also) as affected and is a tissue used in prior research by the scientists in Kiel, it’s sensible and justifiable to proceed with it.

In terms of mechanism: To mechanistically explain the changes in quantifiable RNA it is necessary to identify underlying changes that can explain this dysregulation. Investigation of this sort was suggested in the conclusions of the report at Baylor and we are in contact with them about it. Methylation and induced structural and quantitative rearrangement of chromatin can cause permanent changes in gene expression tissue-specifically, and AR overexpression is demonstrated to be able to induce genome wide level. This investigation is of course genome wide, so it will be a broad and neutral data based investigation.

We had also seriously considered projects with centres including CIBIO in Italy, which I visited, and Mt Sinai in New York, but they are not feasible at the moment. We had received a number of other proposals but the scientists involved were not convincing as a sensible option or well experienced, not familiar with the issue, had concerning and mistaken beliefs about the condition, provided poor study plans that were underpowered/conflicted with better advice received, etc etc. We are still working to find a way to a sensible genetic study with Mt Sinai/Norway if possible in the future, but it is not as simple as patients may assume to do something that could be of practical value. Power is limited by rarity, particularly of severe cases. After long consultations and conversations, including with a really good professor (not involved in this) published well in both Nature and Cell herself - and who has identified genetic predispositions to diseases before - neither they or I were confident at this time we had yet a solid way of proceeding. There are modern ways and means we were hoping to utilise, so the conversations aren’t closed. The key issue is that that sort of study may not show anything clearly, and could easily end up needing repeating if it’s done inappropriately. We’re not rushing anything and don’t have anything more to share.

It is going to be extremely hard to assess scientific proposals as a patient, but the expertise and prior work there is quite demonstrable and should speak for itself. In terms of a better understanding of epigenetics, I would recommend, presuming a textbook isn’t going to be on the cards, the paperback book the epigenetics revolution. It’s only about 400 pages and does include a broad overview of the determinant role of chromatin structure in gene expression. The best short “layman” but workable description of the gene to protein translation and transcription processes I can recall reading was in a book called Gene Machine Venki Ramakrishnan, who won the Nobel prize for his work determining the structure of the ribosome (the book is about that so probably not worth buying if you’re not interested beyond that). Both are paperbacks that are likely easy to find. Hope that answers your questions.

14 Likes

hey @Exsexgod - I’m falling to bits to put it mildly, both with personal upsets and my catastrophic symptoms, and will need to reign in how much I have been doing personally so I won’t be handling media outreach myself. Thanks for the leads though - something to PM @Sugarhouse perhaps when he’s back in a few days as he is now doing media rounds.

@lakehouse - re transparency, beyond what they are doing which we’ve stated (and will provide a more formal summary in time), we will stay in close contact so don’t imagine it will be the long dark of prior studies. The big data involved is not something patients will be able to grapple with, and scientific studies can’t give a public blow by blow. We’ll try to keep everyone appraised of time frames and news however. Currently we need to work out what we’re doing about the tissue involved: Whether our current plan is suitable at the high passage count of the tissue samples that may be available or if we need new ones, so for now we just need to focus on fundraising.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and support. I have given my blood sweat and tears for four years solid to deliver these projects and try and help move us out of this deep hole, with the great help of our wonderful team - and handsome host @Sugarhouse of course. I do hope this can provide some encouragement and direction. x

12 Likes

Our hero, I hope you get better as soon as possible. After you recover, I want a signed photo of you. I’m your loyal fan

7 Likes

I’m going to edit this into the first post but anyone who wants to share this news without linking to the forum or just wants to help get some traffic to our new website here is the link:

5 Likes

Ardalan here, one of the guys that Mitch spoke to in the newly released videos.
I am so happy that this forum is finally filling with positive energy.
I would recommend as many people as possible to speak out about this issue and give this condition a human face. We can solve this, if we are united and go together in the right direction.
We need science’s helping hand, therefore we need to approach the scientific world in a non-impulsive manner; soberly and methodically. The projects that are presented in this thread are all important steps. Thank you very much for your time and dedication.

15 Likes

Thanks for the detailed explanation - I appreciate the transparency. It seems like much thought had been put into the decision.

4 Likes

I just wanna say a big and heartfelt Thank You
To Axo and Sugar. These guys fight like warriors for us through their harsh symptoms of this condition.
That takes the heart of a lion

We appreciate you, men
Cheers

8 Likes

As Ardalan says “we need to give this condition a face”.

Please, if you feel like speaking up, reach out. It’s great I’ve had some volunteers for season 2 already. You guys are badass.

2 Likes

Thank you to the entire team for all your work. This is giving us so much hope.

It’s not much but I just donated 200 EUR, which is as much as I can spare right now. I hope to donate more in the future. This is the kind of coordinated effort I want to contribute to. Maybe this encourages others here to chip in as well.

Together strong.

8 Likes

It all counts, so we are deeply appreciative, especially given the poor state of patients’ health. Thank you for your support.

1 Like

Sorry dear @axolotl I once studied Mikrobiologie, but I have forgotten all over the years. But I know in the Examen I painted all the mechanisms at a big paper block.

After reading about the current hypothesis of AR overexpression there is one burning question for me. Sorry I’m not involved as you.

Maybe if you don’t have the time and need time for you after your great work someone other deep involved can answer:

I’m missing the feedback mechanism between gen expression, receptor proliferation, enhanced and not inhibited gen expression and wich mechanism silencing the receptors. Please can I take some minutes of your time.

AR Genes are overexpressed, Androgen Receptors in the membrane of target cells proliferate. After increase of DHT we must have oversignaled target cells. But what is the mechanism silencing the Androgen Receptors and what a feedback induces the permanent overexpression of the AR Genes in predisposed and not in asymptomatic who go back to normal gene expression and normal AR signal after increase of DHT when Fin is quitt.

So it is not another hypothesis, it is just a burning question. I go with you and your work like a soccer game in my former life.

1 Like