Novel drug regenerates erectile nerves damaged by prostate surgery

I found this article interesting and didn’t see it posted here.

Source:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Summary:

Researchers have developed a topical drug that regenerates and restores the function of erectile nerves damaged by radical prostatectomy, the most common treatment for localized prostate cancer. The drug was tested in rats.

5 Likes

Whoa, nerve regeneration, that is awesome! Very cool

1 Like

Very interesting. I briefly looked over the article, will read it in full depth when I have time.

It’s funny though because just the other day when I was trying to interpret why the 2nd most overexpressed cluster of genes was "“metabolism of RNA” in the Baylor study meant.

And while I was searching I got actually got to read a little bit about these RNAi (RNA interference). Apparently they are able to suppress over 60% of our protein coding genes.

• Friedman et al. estimate that >45,000 miRNA target sites within human mRNA 3′UTRs are conserved above background levels, and >60% of human protein-coding genes have been under selective pressure to maintain pairing to miRNAs. Direct experiments show that a single miRNA can reduce the stability of hundreds of unique mRNAs."

Unstable RNA leads to increased RNA metabolism, so that was the link I found to Baylor. They do not discuss that cluster at all in the paper so I have no clue if it’s related.

But I find it reasonable. Also worth nothing HDAC inhibitors only regulate about 2% of our genome. Quite the difference in potential impact.

Edit: Source.

2 Likes

When will this be available? Pretty amazing stuff from the sound of it.

1 Like

I’m not sure I posted this the day the hospital (Montefiore in the Bronx) tweeted about it, but I forwarded it to the foundation and asked they contact them. I was told they did, but haven’t heard any more. Perhaps if those researchers were contacted by more people, it may speed up the testing from rats to humans.

3 Likes

If they contact you let us know. If they are looking for human trials I’d sign up.

2 Likes

Praying for this
Omg

2 Likes

Same sounds ground breaking

2 Likes

@NewYorker have you heard anything more on this?

1 Like

No, nothing more. Maybe the foundation can keep in informed to these various initiatives? Regardless, I’ll reach out the researchers. The worst they could do is not respond.

1 Like

Please do and thank you

Anything with this since?

Or nothing because they’re still gettin it through?