New Member, Same story

Hi guys

My story is kinda similiar to everyone around here, but let’s just start. I need to talk to someone who will understand me.
I started to take fin when i was 17, and toke it for a few months. I don’t think i had any side effects. I stopped because i wanted to be well. Maybe i was a bit depressed, i dont know.
Then, maybe two years later, i got back on the med. Knowing that what the medicine could do to a person, i spoke with a few doctors. 2 dermathologist and 1 urologist. They all said i could take without fear, the side effects are extremilly rare and, ussualy, they go away after the medication is ceased.
I just stopped fin twenty days ago. Maybe longer, maybe not. I saw that fin wasnt doing anything for my hair anymore and i said fuck it, i can go naturally bald. I’m 24 now, i needed to accept me as i am.
Well, now i’m afraid of the side effects. My sleep is just okay, Sometimes i wake up during the nigth,but i’m actually able to sleep better in the last two days( i’m on antidepressives) . I dont know about brain fog, as i was always very abstain mindded, but my memory is just the same. The only thing that really increases was my ansiety. When i’m with my somewhat girlfriend e can get erections, but i’m always afraid that they migth be the last one. I’m thinking about killing mysefl daily, mostly because of the side effects written in this fórum. I’m really afraid i’m stuck with this forever. Kinda need some reinsurance that i will be able to get back to 80% normal again. No more this dreadfull fear lingering over me.

I’m a 24 year old from Portugal who kindafucked his life with this medicine. Please, i need hugs.

1 Like

Sending love, hugs, support, and hope. And I love Portugal–went there many years ago and want to come back!!

1 Like

I have had PFS since 1998, so people can survive and live as normally as possible. Some treatments help.

If you are experiencing anxiety then an antidepressant is not for you–the SSRI and SNRI antidepressants can make PFS symptoms worse! And some research says that SSRI and SNRI cause suicidal thoughts.

Best thing for you, for your relationship, for your body, for your penis, is to find some natural ways to relax and reduce anxiety and worry.

I myself think that taking a short-term, LOW-dosage, of a benzodiazepine like alprazolam, here and there, can help you reduce anxiety so that you can function more normally and get enough rest, etc.

1 Like

Hey buddy
I’m superscared of the side effects of PFS. How bad can it be, and when will it be the worst? Is it now? Or will i be even worse from now on?

Hi J, give yourself some time to let your body adjust and heal itself so soon after stopping finasteride. 3 months is a good rule. Most people recover. Stress is not your friend, so try not to feed into it. A good time for healthy eating, exercise and stay away from supplements, tobacco, alcohol and experimentation. We are here for you anytime. Well wishes

2 Likes

Stress/anxiety/worry can make it super worse and make it a self fulfilling prophecy. There is a chance that you may have symptoms but it may not be PFS, it may not be persistent, and not at all be permanent. Try to reduce negative or worrysome thoughts as soon as they pop into your head. Ensure you are getting enough sleep and take breaks throughout the day–not long breaks where you start thinking negatively, but short breaks to give your mind a quick rest.