[New Member] Blood work revealed multiple deficiencies: should I supplement?

Hi All,

I’ve been reading the forum for some time now, and decided to join because I need help.

Forgive me for not sharing my story, but at this point in time I don’t feel particularly comfortable doing it, so please allow me to take the time I need.

I took fin, and have been dealing with PFS for a while.

In the past months I went through very extensive metabolic check up and tests in general. Turned out a lot of my values are off. I’m low in Vit D, E, B12, B6, B9, iodine, CoQ10. I also have gut disbiosis, and overgrowth of “bad” bacteria, I have parasites, my mercury is quite high, and these are just a few.

Now, I was prescribed a lot of supplement, but I’m definitely scared because of some of the negative stories I read in here. It seems to me that the only supplements (among those I’m supposed to take) nobody reported anything about are CoQ10, iodine, and probiotics.

Everyting else is quite a risk.

I’m particularly scared about the possibility of developing what has been labeled as “Post Aromatase Inhibitor Syndrome”. So I’m very conflicted, because I know Vit D and E could eventually lead to it (even though I wanted to start at very low dosage, around 1k per day).

Now, I definitely have to supplement CoQ10, becaue my levels were very, very low. So I’m just wondering: has any of you ever heard about anti-aromatase properties of CoQ10? What tools you usually rely on when you have to research supplements properties?

I was prescribed just 60mg per day, which is very low dosage, but at the same time I’m scared.

One last question: what supplements you can name nobody had a negative reaction to? I’m not gonna popping pills just for fun, I want to make sure I have a reason for it, but at the same time it’d be useful to gather informations.

As of today, after browsing the forum up and down, the only supplements I never read anything negative about are CoQ10, iodine, Vit C, and probiotics. Do you know about any other “risk-free” supplement for us?

I was told to supplement B12, D, B6 and B9, and was also prescribed prebiotics with B1 and B6, but I’m not sure I’ll ever take it.

I guess that’s all.

Have a nice day guys.

1 Like

Hi @TFD

Welcome to the forum - I’m sorry to hear about your experience. When you get a minute, please consider creating a member story and contributing to the patient survey, which are both incredibly helpful for our current research efforts.

Regarding your question about supplements, unfortunately so little is known about our condition that any supplements really are a crapshoot. As PFS is multi-systemic and the symptoms so variable, what works for one patient may make another considerably worse. While personally I haven’t had any issues with iodine, Vit C and probiotics, that doesn’t mean others haven’t.

Sorry if that’s a bit of a nothing answer, but I just wanted to point out the variability of PFS.

Thank you for taking the time.

So there is no way to know wheter I should supplement any of this, even with multiple underlying diagnosed deficiencies?

No problem. One way you can become more informed about any supplements you’re considering is to run them through the search function. I just ran a quick search and it seems to have been discussed before in a few older threads.

Please check back in and let us know how you progress, and when you have some time, create a member story and complete the survey.

Best,
Mitch

I used and still use the search function a lot.

I’m considering using low doses of the supplements nobody ever reported anything negative about, and CoQ10 seems to be one of them along with Vitamin C. If I recall correctly there was one user who reported sides from iodine, but with insanely high doses.

Vitamins B are more complex, unfortunately.

I’ll report back and share details of my story.

One thing I can say, is that taking 500mg of “natural” Vitamin C fixed my nails 90%, pretty much right away, but I quit because I was scared of bioflavonoids. Fortunately the improvements has stayed. I’m now taking around 2-3mg of ascorbic acid powder, but I’m not feeling any different.

Thank you.

1 Like