New here. Hoping I quit early enough (6 days) to avoid long term problems.

Where are you from (country)?

USA

What is your current age, height, weight?

36 years old, 5’11”, 190 lbs

What specific drug did you use?

Finasteride 1mg/day for 6 days

What condition was being treated with the drug?

Hair loss

How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug?

36 years old, Nov. 1, 2020

How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?

36 years old, Nov. 7, 2020

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?

Cold turkey

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?

After a few days

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

Loss of libido, ED, irritable, anxious and depressed.

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
Erectile Dysfunction
Complete Impotence
Loss of Morning Erections
Loss of Spontaneous Erections
Loss of Nocturnal Erections
Watery Ejaculate
Reduced Ejaculate
Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
Confusion
Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
Slurring of Speech
Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
Severe Depression / Melancholy
Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
Penis curvature / rotation on axis
Testicular Pain
Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
Weight Gain
Gynecomastia (male breasts)
Muscle Wastage
Muscle Weakness
Joint Pain
Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
Prostate pain
Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
Hearing loss
Increased hair loss
Frequent urination
Lowered body temperature

Other (please explain)

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?

None yet. Looking to get sildenafil to combat ED.

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off

Noticing that my hair has started thinning significantly, I was feeling motivated to do something about it. I got finasteride prescribed and sent to me through the website “hims.”

I didn’t think much of it. I figured any sexual side effects would be minor and temporary, if they happened at all. The literature makes it seem like a pretty benign drug.

After a few days of taking 1mg/day, my libido was down, but I didn’t think much of it because going a few days without being horny isn’t that big of a deal.

It wasn’t until the 6th day of taking it that I realized something was very wrong. Not only was I unable to get an erection, but I had completely lost feeling in the head of my penis. It went numb.

I swore finasteride off that day.

Now two weeks later, the side effects persist. I’ve had a few instances of being able to get a weak erection over the past several days. Once when masturbating and once upon waking up. But my libido is still very low and the erections are problematic; weak, small, inconsistent, etc. On a few other occasions I’ve masturbated in an attempt to get an erection and I had weak orgasms without getting erect at all.

I’ve also been a nervous wreck; irritable, anxious, and depressed. But I don’t know how much of that is just the psychological reaction to the ED and how much of it is related to neurochemistry.

This stuff has very much freaked me out. I started off worried about losing hair, which now seems so inconsequential compared to the side effects of finasteride.

I have started a very promising long distance relationship and I’m freaked out that this will end up ruining everything once we meet in person. The pandemic has put that on hold for the time being, so I may have a few months to get this sorted out before we visit each other.

But in a matter of 6 days, I went from a horny dude with a huge sex drive and the ability to have multiple orgasms per day with strong, healthy erections, to being completely non functioning sexually. How can only 6 days of this drug have such awful, long lasting side effects?

Any words of encouragement or advice?

Hey there,

We know what you’re going through. I took the drug for only 1 month, same dose, and I’m going through the same shit for over a year now.
Since you’ve quit only recently, you may have a good chance at recovery. For most people these side effects are temporary. Give it a few weeks or a few months. I know it’s awful but there’s little you can do now I think.

Thanks for your response. It’s crazy how significant the negative side effects are after such a short period of time. I can definitely tell that it’s important for me to keep my head up and stay positive.

Sorry you have to be on this forum, this poison’s awerness is still not clear to everybody out there - like it wasnt for me neither until february this year. I took only 4 pills and had a full blown PFS, I had a lot of improvements mentally, yet the sexual and physical sides will need a lot of time to heal, but they can ,so dont worry!, time is on your side.

For now you just try to reduce to think about sexual issues and try to get relaxed, dont panic if things wont get fast enough better, again they might need months up to years. Do avoid any hormone supplements for now, including sexually stimulating herbs.

Did you experience testicular atrophy? Any changes in your muscle mass?

No noticeable difference in testicles. No pain either. But a numb glans. It’s slightly less numb now than it was two weeks ago, when I stopped taking fin.

No noticeable changes in muscle mass. But it’s only been two weeks. I should probably fast and exercise, as those things won’t hurt, and I already had wanted to be doing them prior to this fin issue. I have experience fasting for other reasons and I think it can Potentially help the body restore itself to default settings.

I looked up some stuff on the internet today and I read some stuff. Like a scientific looking article from last year where the whole premise is that pfs is psychosomatic.

But I know it isn’t psychosomatic. Because I went into the treatment with complete confidence in the safety of the drug. I believed the literature that said it was safe. I wasn’t worried about sexual side effects. I figured they would be minimal and temporary, if they happened at all. But then my dick went numb. So this isn’t a case of self-fulfilling negative expectations.

It’s obvious that those who profit off this drug have a vested interest in discrediting the victims that they’ve poisoned.

Oh and also, I’m now being bombarded by ads on the internet for testosterone supplements. From snooping around here, did I notice that testosterone supplements are not recommended for pfs?

Thats great news you hadn’t experienced testicular atrophy, which i had! I have like 40% less in testicular size and fullness. So as far as your situation, you must be in better hands than i am, and even my erections improved some.

Intermittent fasting and excersize are my 2 “treatments” I’m doing regulalry, I simply skin breakfast every day, so I’m avoiding eating after 6pm until 1pm the next day. Its has been proven to help repair epigenetic damage which might have occured in some of PFS victims.

Yea just ignore T therapy for a long while. After what I read on the forum, its best to wait with such treatments for at least 2 years on PFS and if you dont imrprove enough you then might give it a shot.
But reading your case, the penile numbness and ED will be fixed imo within a year.

That would be amazing if it resolves on its own. I very much appreciate your words of encouragement and your support.

dont stress, keep us updated!