New asthma?

Hey guys. I’m 38, have PFS for ~3 years after taking finasteride for ~12 mostly side effect-free years.

Like some of you I picked up new food allergies. What I realized last week is that I have new asthma. I always had exercise induced bronchospasm (EIB) - from running too hard, especially in cold weather etc - but in the last 2 years I can get asthma just walking around. I have never had asthma from a cold/flu before, but since Jan 2014 I do. Surprising!

Anyone have a similar experience?

I think it is not asthma, it is shortness of breath, common symptom of low testosteron.

Thanks for your reply. I know it is asthma because of the wheezing, but you have a good point. Te shortness of breath from --cardiovascular deconditioning from hypogonadism?-- could also make asthma worse.

Sex Steroids Influence Brain-Derived Neurotropic Factor Secretion from Human Airway Smooth Muscle Cells. J Cell Physiol. 2015 Nov 13. doi: 10.1002/jcp.25254. [Epub ahead of print]

It also notes that T inhibits Epac2 (a protein associated with increased inflammation) but also inhibits Epac1 which seems related but positive/negative role is less clear.

The comments about no changes in BDNF mRNA or protein expression makes me wonder if it is a membrane AR associated means of affecting inflammation. Lots more to learn.

I also have new food allergies and had asthmatic symptoms for several months. Got bad enough to where I got prescribed montelukast- that helped immensely and I just stopped it one day and the asthma was gone.