(NEED SUGGESTIONS ASAP) Is Xanax or other medications safe for sleep/anxiety symptoms?

It’s been 3 weeks since my last dose of finasteride. The first 2 weeks were horrible. I started to feel a little better, but my symptoms definitely weren’t gone. I don’t technically have PFS rn but Im trying to recover properly and get some sleep… I don’t know what’s safe to put in my body right now.

2 days ago my gf dumped me, now I can’t rly feel relaxed…. Body was already prone to stress.

The first few weeks I had a racing heart (mostly better), uncontrollable stress (started to get better mostly bud gf dumped me and now I’m very stressed), decreased semen quality (gotten worse past week), zero libido (only a little bit better), zero appetite (better), inability to feel thirst (not better), erectile dysfunction (was normal 5 days ago and quality has declined) and I could barely sleep and would wake up in the middle of the night.

I’m asking specifically for sleep tips. I was taking 5-10 mg of melatonin every night to sleep. It’s not cutting it. I need something stronger. The stress rn is also really hard to deal with.

Am I more likely to “crash” if I ask my psychiatrist to prescribe me temporary Xanax for sleep/stress? I’ve also considered smoking some weed, but I haven’t. I can’t take hydroxyzine, bc I already took that the first few weeks and it made my heart symptoms worse. The only thing I’ve been taking lately is extremely high doses of melatonin every night, which isn’t working enough.

My psychiatrist appointment is today. I need to know what is safe and what’s not and what works.

No matter how hard things are the best advice you can take us to do nothing except try to relax, be calm, don’t over worry, havjng catastrophic thoughts about your future and what it may look like going forward.

Go for walks, wait things out, eat clean foods, stay away from stimulants, booze etc it will take months but you’ll start to come out of it.

The worst thing u can do is to take another anti androgen, xanax and other ssris fall in to this category and they often make people worse.

Take the time out that you need and know you will beat this… desperation makes for bad choices

Good luck

2 Likes

Do you really believe I’ll recover? It’s been almost a month since my last dose…. I only took 2 doses (1.5 mg total). I know people say usual recovery takes 2 weeks - 3 months…. But how many people actually recover? I’ve heard that if you take a tiny amount, and get the side effects I’ve had, you’re less likely to recover.

About a week and a half after side effects started there was a 2 day period where I felt increased libido/desire to have sex. It wasn’t crazy though, but it felt more like pre-fin libido. (My libido was insane before I took this)

The sleep is still terrible, I fall asleep just fine but always wake up 2-4 hours later. Very occasionally I’ll sleep for 5-6 straight hours tops. My libido is 10-15% of what it once was. My brain fog is gone, mostly. Heart irregularities still present, but better. I can get erections but it takes effort and stimulation, and they’re only about 90%… Erections were easy to get a week ago. No morning wood ever anymore. My semen is watery. My balls sometimes have a very slight ache. I have dark circles under my eyes.

I have been forcing myself to lift weights every 2-3 days. I’m going to today. I’m eating pretty damn healthy. Drinking filtered water. The only things I’m taking are Melatonin every night and Zzzquil every 4 nights (so I don’t overdo it). Bloodwork showed I’m vitamin D deficient but people have told me not to take it. Bloodwork showed low testosterone levels.

Do you have any other advice for me?

If insomnia is really bad try melatonin or magnesium glycinate.