My story of 1.8 years of dutasteride suffering with tried treatments

Welcome to our community. Please fill in the following template as a way of introducing yourself, and helping others to understand your background and situation.

Where are you from (country)?
iraq
How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
heard it being mentioned in tressless subreddit
What is your current age, height, weight?
19 178cm 79kg
What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)?
both finaseteride and dutasteride
What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
1.25mg daily and 0.5 dutasteride later (dropped fin)
What condition was being treated with the drug?
androgenic alopecia
For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)?
finaseteride i think 3 months then 6 days of dutasteride
Date when you started the drug?
2022/1 i think
Date when you quit the drug?
around 2022/4
Age when you quit?
How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
cold turkey
How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?
second day
What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?
very low libido, quite bad cognitive function, insomnia, tiredness, lack of motivation, loss of emotions
Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[x] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[x] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ ] Loss of Morning Erections
[x] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[x] Watery Ejaculate
[x] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[x] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[x] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[x] Confusion
[x] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[ ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[x] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[x] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[x] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[x] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
proviron, trt, hcg, clomid, burporion
If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?
all tried treatments made things worse sooner or later
Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.
had an increase in libido after a day of using finaseteride and lasted for maybe 2 or 3 days then it dropped significantly and mental sides started and i hoped that my body would adjust like how i was told by the liars or ignorants who probably just had placebo, when libido dropped my skin became dry after it was very oily and dandruff went away which was a good thing, with time mental sides became too much i read some became sides free with dutasteride so I decided to try it, i only took 6 pills, same thing happened increase libido then libido became actually zero this time and the lower androgenic effect i got from finaseteride (dry skin) vanished and i actually got more oil then baseline, but libido and mental sides got worse despite this weird possible upregulation of androgenic receptors, after that i just waited, dutasteride has a long half life, i waited 6 months and i started to improve slowly, skin became drier, not as dry as it was on finaseteride but much drier, libido got better, i thought its definitely because of more dht as dut is leaving the body so i decided to go on proviron, took 11 pills that day, libido got better, skin completely dry like it was on fin (body started working oppositely after dut, more androgens less androgenic effect, but i didnt take anything the next day, and boom all the progress in the last 6 months vanished, oily skin again and libido dropped and i couldn’t achieve the same improvement i had with that 11 pills again even with 20 pills (25mg), i wish i just kept waiting, i tried fin 2 times (i know very stupid) trying to see if it could help, again increase then decrease in libido, but i returned to baseline (before this fin attempt, the dutasteride baseline), which probably means dut is what gave me the permenant sides and not finaseteride, trt didnt help and maybe even made it worse, hcg didn’t help either, clomid makes my libido down to zero but after stopping i get an increase in libido (after maybe 16 days of stopping) that increase lasts 1 or 2 days (funny isn’t it) then i return to baseline, this only happened 2 times tho the other times i tried it only zero libido then baseline, tried burporion very recently, zero libido after second dose so i stopped, i didnt get to baseline yet and its been 2 days after i stopped, there is no improvement yet.
Self-reporting template - ONLY USE FOR FUTURE POSTS TO REPORT ANY TRIALS OF TREATMENTS, NOT YOUR INITIAL MEMBER STORY

1. Name of the therapy/substance:
    • Dosage:
    • How often you took it:
  2. Status
    • Still using [ ]
    • Stopped with no lasting change to initial symptoms [ ]
    • Stopped with persistent change to symptoms [ ]
  3. Duration of use: Days [ ] Months [ ] Years [ ]
  4. Response when you started:
    • Greatly improved [ ]
    • Slightly improved [ ]
    • Stayed the same [ ]
    • Slightly worsened [ ]
    • Greatly worsened [ ]
  5. Current response (if you’re still using the therapy/substance) OR Response in the time before you stopped the treatment
    • Greatly improved [ ]
    • Slightly improved [ ]
    • Stayed the same [ ]
    • Slightly worsened [ ]
    • Greatly worsened [ ]
  6. Lasting changes to initial symptoms after cessation (if you have stopped for more than 3 weeks)
    • Greatly improved [ ]
    • Slightly improved [ ]
    • Stayed the same [ ]
    • Slightly worsened [ ]
    • Greatly worsened [ ]
1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @azmohamad132! I’m really sorry you’re in this situation.

I see that you’ve already learned the hard way that trying to increase T with injections does very little for PFS… You might want to take a break from medications for a while and see if that changes anything for you.

You’re probably also learning that doctors are not very helpful for this disease, which is why we as a patient community have to work together to fund research.

Some things you can do to help:

i also suffer from another rare condition long before finaseteride and ive realized doctors just dont know anything about rare conditions, they dont even need to be much rare for them to not know anything about and you’re just left on your own to research, and yeah i should just stop taking anything, the only thing i wanna try is mianserin and if it doesn’t help im not gonna take anything again

2 Likes