My story (I’m a new member)

Welcome to our community. Please fill in the following template as a way of introducing yourself, and helping others to understand your background and situation.

Where are you from (country)?
United States

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
Searched on google

What is your current age, height, weight?
20, 5’10”, 180

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)?
Finasteride

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
0.25mg every other day. Then I crashed the day I moved to 0.5mg.

What condition was being treated with the drug?
Balding

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)?
9 days

How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug?
19, July 3rd 2020

How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
19, July 12th 2020

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
Cold turkey

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?
On the ninth day, crashed 2 days later

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?
All of them

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[x ] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[x ] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[x ] Loss of Morning Erections
[x ] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ x] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[x ] Watery Ejaculate
[x ] Reduced Ejaculate
[x ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[x ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[x ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[x ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[x ] Confusion
[x ] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[x ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[x ] Slurring of Speech
[x ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[x ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[x ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[x ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[x ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[x ] Testicular Pain
[x ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[x] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[x ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[x ] Muscle Wastage
[x ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[x ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[x] Prostate pain
[x ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
Dhea, pregnanolone and a bunch of naturopathic stuff. Non of it worked.

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?
I did 3 in the past year, my estrogen fell to below normal, almost undetectable.

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

I was the most ambitious person. I had 2 jobs, was doing great in university (was gonna graduate university) and was even thinking of marriage. I was using minoxidil then which didn’t really work for me, so I went on hims and I got a prescription for finasteride. There is no mention of post finasteride syndrome on there/ full sexual and cognitive shutdown. I watched 2 Australian doctors on YouTube (the hair loss show) and they recommended that I build up the dose to see if I can tolerate it. I was first taking 0.25mg every other day and then on the 9th day I took 0.5mg. That night I had a lot of pain in the tip of my penis but I slept and didn’t think much of it. I woke up with extreme tightness/burning pain in the whole penis (mainly the shaft) and I was losing sensitivity. So I put fin on the side and said “when everything goes back to normal I’ll just do 0.25mg”. But nothing went back to normal. 2 days after I couldn’t get an erection whatsoever and then after 2-3 hours, out of no where I had severe panic attacks that came on their own, I couldn’t stop them and they continued for 2.5 days. I would wake up in the morning saying “am I good, am I good?” and then 10 mins later another panic attack hits for the whole day. This switch effect that took place also had all the other symptoms with it such as anhodenia and full arousal loss and so I have all of that still. I can’t continue studying and I lost my friends, my jobs and it ruined my relationship with my family. I’ve been destroyed

7 Likes

Hi @9days - I’m really sorry you had to join this weird club. I know the frustration, confusion, and alienation you’re going through. I took finasteride for ten days, and it just didn’t seem to compute that 10mg of a drug could create all these problems, yet here we are.

Try to not to burn any bridges with friends and family – finasteride side effects are serious business, so if you can explain to them that you’re sick and need some time to recover, hopefully they’ll understand.

I hope you’ll return to this thread and update us on how your symptoms are developing, what interventions you’re trying, and what you’re doing to cope with all this.

Other things you can do:

4 Likes

I life in the same state of weird racing in the brain too. So I cannot really help you, I only tell you, you are not alone. There are hundreds and thousands of stories from other PFS and pssd sufferers in the internet so you are really not alone. This helps me not to loose control. Use the box stop like in a Formular one race to go outside and have a walk, try to look nice movies in the evening.

The support of your family is needed. They don’t want to believe their loved son is suffering from a pill. So try to talk with them, don’t loose the last contact to the world outside your carussel of thoughts and panic.

PM me if you want.

So this life has been going on for a year? Have you not improved physically and mentally?

Are you alright!?

1 Like