Where are you from (country)?
How did you find this forum?
Medical Study – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7231981/
What is your current age, height, weight?
29 – 204cm – 90kg
What specific drug did you use?
What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
Initially 1mg every other day (~3 years) followed by 1mg/day (~7 months)
What condition was being treated with the drug?
For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)?
A total of about 4.5 years
How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug?
2015 – 23 years old
How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
October 2019 – 27 years old
How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
Started tapering off around April 2019 and completely stopped in October
How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?
What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?
Loss of libido
Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.
Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
Loss of Morning Erections
Loss of Spontaneous Erections
Loss of Nocturnal Erections
Reduced Ejaculate (hard to say whether this is the case)
Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
Reduced Sperm Count / Motility
Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
Slurring of Speech
Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
Severe Depression / Melancholy
Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
Penis curvature / rotation on axis
Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
Gynecomastia (male breasts)
Dry / Dark Circles under eyes
Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
Increased hair loss
Lowered body temperature
Other – My hair loss has completely stopped after ceasing use of the drug for close to 2 years now
What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
No invasive treatments. However, I’m currently taking Creatine Monohydrate (~3g / day) to attempt to raise DHT (increased strength in the gym is an added bonus).
Most effective “treatment” I’ve found so far is daily meditation. It hasn’t really brought back my sex drive at all but has helped with me come to terms with my complete loss of libido and find happiness/content-ness with life again.
If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?
I’ve had hormone levels checked multiple times since ceasing Finasteride usage. All the results are consistently normal other than my free testosterone levels being consistently below the normal range.
- Started taking Finasteride on and off
- Was prescribed the standard dose for hair loss (1mg/day) however I cycled my usage of the drug (roughly week on followed by a week off)
- I have a very high sex drive at this point in my life
- Experienced no adverse side effects to this point.
- Start taking Finasteride consistently at 1mg/day (no more cycling) as I notice hair loss on the weeks I don’t take it.
- Experience sudden loss of libido (felt like overnight change)
- No interest in watching porn
- No interest in having sex with random women
- Experienced no other symptoms other than complete loss of sex drive
- Continue using Finasteride
- No improvement in symptoms so I stop taking Finasteride (cold turkey)
- Hair loss does not resume
- Total testosterone levels are within normal range, however free testosterone is low
- Very low sex drive
- Little interest in the opposite gender and having sex
- Use Viagra (50mg Sildenafil Sandoz) which helps maintain an erection when not turned on
- Can be turned on by a deep emotional connection to a women (e.g. thought of having kids together) but never experience physical/animal attraction
- Hair loss has completely ceased
Hi all! I discovered this community yesterday so wanted to share my story. After reading and watching some of the videos that have been shared I actually feel somewhat lucky to have only really experienced a loss of my sex drive.
That said, losing my sex drive has still been quite hard for me. At times it feels like I lost a big part of my identity and has caused me a large amount of anxiety and sadness over the past couple of years.
It has made it extremely difficult starting a romantic relationship as, from my experience, sex is especially important for bonding at the start for most people. Loosing my sex drive has also made it a lot harder for me to connect with friends.
I’ll make sure to update this post as I attempt to reverse my reduced libido. Has anyone had any experience increasing their free testosterone? The only results in my blood work that have come back abnormal is having low free T (my total T is within the normal range)