- Where are you from (country)?
- How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
Googled “low libido due to saw palmetto”
- What is your current age, height, weight?
18 years old, 5’8", 140 lbs
- Do you excercise regularly? If so, what type of excercise?
lift weights 3x per week
- What type of diet do you eat (vegetarian, meat eater, raw, fast-food/organic healthy)?
Currently going gluten/dairy free, going paleo soon after
- Why did you take Finasteride (hair loss, BPH, other)?
I took saw palmetto for prostatitis
- For how long did you take Finasteride (weeks/months/years)?
- How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start Finasteride?
18 years old, October 2013
- How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
18 years old, March 2014
- How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
- What type of Finasteride did you use – Propecia, Proscar, Fincar or other generic?
- What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
roughly 320 mg per day
- How long into your use of Finasteride did you notice the onset of side effects?
A few weeks
- What side effects did you experience while on the drug that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?
Put an X beside all that apply:
Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
Loss of Morning Erections
Loss of Spontaneous Erections
Loss of Nocturnal Erections
Inability to Ejaculate / Orgasm
Reduced Sperm Count / Motility
Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
Memory Loss / Forgetfullness
Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
Slurring of Speech
Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
Severe Depression / Melancholy
Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
Penis curvature / rotation on axis
Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
Gynecomastia (male breasts)
Dry / Dark Circles under eyes
Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
Increased hair loss
Lowered body temperature
Other (please explain)
- What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
vitamin d, fish oil, other various supps without much research
If you have pre or post-Finasteride bloodtests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (pls post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?
Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience with Finasteride?
Tell us your story, in your own words, about your Finasteride usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.
In late september 2013 I was diagnosed with prostatitis. To this day I don’t know if it was actually prostatitis or tightness of the pelvic floor muscles but it has since cleared up. I was advised to take saw palmetto for general prostate health so I started it immediately. After a few weeks my libido started dropping, which I assumed was due to the prostatitis because it’s a common side effect of that as well. I tried a plethora of other things, all the while continuing saw palmetto and my libido continued to worsen. It was helped a bit by zinc but soon the effects wore off.
About a month ago I found this website as a result of looking up whether it might have been the SP that lowered my libido, and lo and behold, plenty of stories about guys just like me. I quit immediately but continued to feel the downward spiral of libido that hasn’t stopped yet. I very rarely get morning erections, never ever get spontaneous erections and am never thinking about sex. I have still been able to perform with my girlfriend when necessary though.
I’ve had multiple blood tests and found that I have very low normal free t. On a normal scale of 10-30 I’ve tested at a 13.2 and an 11.9).
I’ve also lately experienced mental sides, with pretty bad brain fog and fatigue on some days, which is even worse than the loss of libido and has been really freaking me out.
I know that I don’t have it as bad as a lot of guys here but it’s still pretty awful nonetheless, and I’m taking action immediately. I have a pretty positive outlook about this and know that there’s no way I’m gonna let this beat me. In my next post I’m gonna outline my protocol that I’m starting now.
We can beat this.