My PSSD Story: Interested in Taking Survery

Welcome to our community. Please fill in the following template as a way of introducing yourself, and helping others to understand your background and situation.

Where are you from (country)?
United States
How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
PSSD forum
What is your current age, height, weight?
29, 5’8’’, 160lb
What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)?
Lexapro (escitalopram)
What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
I started at 5mg/day, then increased to 10mg/day
What condition was being treated with the drug?
“Depression” (I was misdiagnosed; I did not have biological depression and should not have been prescribed an antidepressant at all)
For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)?
1 year
How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug?
24 (November 2014)
How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
25 (November 2015)
How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
Some tapering
How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?
Immediately when I took Lexapro
What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

1. no libido 2. extreme erectile dysfunction 3. anorgasmia 4. genital anesthesia (no erogenous sensation)
    Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[x ] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[x ] Erectile Dysfunction
[x ] Complete Impotence
[x ] Loss of Morning Erections
[x ] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections [not sure about this one? I assume so]
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate
[x ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[ ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[ ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ ] Confusion
[ ] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[ ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[ ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[x ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[x ] Weight Gain [common side effect of SSRIs]
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
Licorice root capsule, sildenafil, St. John’s wort, clomiphene and anastrozole
If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?
Did not get blood tests prior to taking Lexapro. My hormones were normal when I checked them (after I discontinued Lexapro).
Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.
SSRIs are known to cause both sexual dysfunction and weight gain. I experienced both while on Lexapro; the sexual dysfunction happened soon after I started Lexapro. Obviously the weight gain can be reversed through exercise/diet. I assumed the sexual dysfunction would come back once I discontinued Lexapro; I had not heard of PSSD at the time. Unfortunately, my sexual function did not return at all after I discontinued Lexapro. My sexual dysfunction encompasses four symptoms (no libido, erectile dysfunction, no orgasm, genital anesthesia). I had been 100% healthy in terms of sexual function prior to Lexapro; I was a normal, healthy 24 year old. Lexapro took it all away. I have tried and am trying various potential treatments, with mixed success.

4 Likes

Thanks very much for signing up, getting everyone together here is important. Please consider yourself invited to take part in discussions as well as our survey. Please invite other PSSD members to contribute here, you are all very welcome.

Your invitation to take the survey should come through automatically but if you’re still waiting tomorrow, let me know and I’ll have one of the admins manually issue it.

3 Likes

I would also like to participate in the survey!
Cheers, T.

2 Likes

Hey @Timm, welcome to the forum. if you make a new topic in “member stories” and fill out your story, the forum will automatically send you an invitation to take the survey.

As I said to @havehope1, please stick around once you’ve taken the survey, we need as many people as possible to come together. When we are all together we are much stronger, louder and harder to ignore. When we are in small groups scattered across the world, it’s much easier to discount us.

2 Likes