My Lupron trial never actually ended...

I am from the US and found this forum on a Google search!
I am about 5’ 4" and 122LBS and I was given a LEUPRON DEPOT INJECTION 3MONTH trial. I was given the trial in Dec 2019- mar 2020. Within 2 days of starting the trial I started getting severe pain in my spine (mind you at 24 I already have Degenerative Disc Disease and Degenerative Joint Disease that isn’t normal for someone my age) that was so severe I could barely get up and move around. Within a week of that my ankles and wrists began popping painfully and stiffening up/locking up. I couldn’t even open a sippy cup or walk normally because it felt as though my bones were going to break. I would get dizzy spells and horrific migraines and was so fatigued it felt like it took everything out of me just to get out of bed. even my abdominal pain worsened to the point I was bent over at times unable to move. When I called my doctor she told me this was normal and nothing we could do except wait it out. It was both mentally emotionally and physically debilitating! But my doctor said “this trial is safe it will help diagnose you with endometriosis and all it does is put you through an artificial menopause” well when I called during the trial to tell her about my symptoms she said it would go away when the Lupron trial ended… That was a lie. It is now over 6months since my Lupron trial and my bone and joint pain in my wrists has worsened. I still have stiffness trouble opening and closing stuff and trouble lifting. It’s as if most of my strength in my hands and wrists is gone. I wound up with reoccurring cysts on the top of my hands by my wrists 2 months after the trial ended and I’ve never had cysts before. I never had problems with my hands or wrists before this trial! As of about 3 weeks ago a new painful bump has appeared on my wrist bone and is extremely painful to the touch. My pain over the past month has begun to spread up my arms to include tingling and numbness. And to top it off I also have problems with remembering stuff which has only ever happened during pregnancy. I was also told this would go away after the Lupron ended but 6mo later I’m still writing lists and notes to try to remember stuff. I even have trouble thinking of a word all the time while I’m trying to talk which is frustrating and embarrassing! And now I am stuck fighting doctors trying to get answers but no one appears to want to help because well I’m 25 and who has these issues at 25 right? Well I do and the last thing I want to have to deal with is doctors who don’t want to help when all I need is answers and to know how to fix it. I was given laparoscopic surgery a couple months ago to finally diagnose endometriosis.
Had I known that Lupron would have caused all of these problems I would have just stuck with the endometriosis pain.

Sexual
[ ✓] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[ ] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ ] Loss of Morning Erections
[ ] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[ ✓] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[ ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ ] Confusion
[ ✓] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[✓ ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[✓ ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[✓ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ✓] Muscle Weakness
[ ✓] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[✓ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ✓] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[✓ ] Other (please explain)
Bone pain, cysts

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug? There has only been 1 medication that offers some temporary relief for my hands and wrists which is called diclofenac sodium topical gel 1%. I use it morning and night and it helps with the stiffness as well as a good majority of the pain.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Chelcie135. I’m so sorry to read of what lupron has done to you. Persistent symptoms after the withdrawal of a drug is something so many of us here can empathise with. Many here also know what it’s like to report these effects to doctors only to be met with incredulousness or dismissal. Thank you for speaking up and sharing your story here.

2 Likes

Dear @Chelcie135, I can only echo the statement above. I really sorry to read that another fellow human being is suffering from these persistent side effects.

Please report your symptoms to the authorities (see here for resources: https://www.propeciahelp.com/report-your-propecia-side-effects-to-drug-regulatory-agencies/). Many countries provide options to report side effects without the help of your doctor. We need to speak up to make the world aware that these persistent side effects exists, to have them investigated and to prevent others to fall into the same trap.

Please also make sure to check in here every now and then. The staff of this forum is convinced that all endocrine disruptors can potentially cause the same condition in people and we are determined to prove it. Any research into “Post Finasteride Syndrome” may hence be relevant to people who suffer from persistent side effects from other endocrine disruptors such as Lupron.

Thank you and good luck!