My Finasteride Story

After years of trying various treatments for hair loss, I, a 32-year-old from the United States, decided to start taking finasteride. I found the Post-Finasteride Syndrome community through a Google search. Despite initial success, I began experiencing devastating side effects such as loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, and severe anxiety. Desperate to find relief, I quit the drug cold turkey, but the symptoms persisted. Turning to therapy, exercise, dietary changes, and supplements, I now share my story to connect with others going through similar experiences and to raise awareness about the potential risks associated with finasteride.

Where are you from (country)?
United States

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
Google search - “Post-Finasteride Syndrome support”

What is your current age, height, weight?
32 years old, 6’0", 180 lbs

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)?
Finasteride

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
1 mg/day

What condition was being treated with the drug?
Hair loss

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)?
2 years

Date when you started the drug?
January 1, 2021

Date when you quit the drug?
January 1, 2023

Age when you quit?

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
Cold turkey

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?
6 months

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

Sexual
[X] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[X] Erectile Dysfunction

Mental
[X] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[X] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[X] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[X] Severe Depression / Melancholy

Physical
[ ] None

Misc
[X] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
Therapy, exercise, dietary changes, and supplements

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?
N/A

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?
I wish I had been more informed about the potential side effects before starting finasteride.

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.
I started taking finasteride to combat hair loss, but after 6 months, I began experiencing side effects like loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, difficulty concentrating, memory loss, and severe anxiety. Despite discontinuing the drug, these side effects persist. I have tried therapy, exercise, dietary changes, and supplements to manage the symptoms, but I’m still struggling. I’m sharing my story to connect with others going through similar experiences and raise awareness about the potential risks associated with finasteride.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story and sorry to hear about what you’re going through.

What kind of therapy have you tried?

1 Like

Sorry to hear that you are having to deal with this absurd situation. You’re still pretty early on in your journey so try to hang in there. With the way things are moving with research and awareness there is finally real hope for the future.

3 Likes