My acne ordeal and isotretinoin consequences

Well, each time I go to a doctor it feels like I’m trying to convince them I do have problems despite of good blood test/ultrasound/whatever results. I’m glad that most of them seem to be quite understanding(I didn’t expect that) but they still remain skeptical.
I’ll describe my improvement using special form. It’s been approx. 20 days, the condition seems more or less stable, so I can call it improvement, I guess. But replying to your question directly, yes, I have quite significant increase(it’s not 100%, but close to normal, and I can now really feel my shaft) in girth size. But it’s hard to tell whether it comes from the antibiotic or it’s the other pills effect. But I’m still experiencing weak sensitivity and soft tip.

1 Like

Self-reporting form

1. Name of the therapy/substance: Ornidazole
  • Dosage: 500 mg
  • How often you took it: 2 times per day
  1. Status
  • Still using [ ]
  • Stopped with no lasting change to initial symptoms [ ]
  • Stopped with persistent change to symptoms [X]
  1. Duration of use: Days [X] Months [ ] Years [ ]
  2. Response when you started:
  • Greatly improved [ ]
  • Slightly improved [X]
  • Stayed the same [ ]
  • Slightly worsened [ ]
  • Greatly worsened [ ]
  1. Current response (if you’re still using) OR Response in the time before you stopped the treatment
  • Greatly improved [X]
  • Slightly improved [ ]
  • Stayed the same [ ]
  • Slightly worsened [ ]
  • Greatly worsened [ ]
  1. Lasting changes to initial symptoms after cessation (if you have stopped for more than 3 weeks)
  • Greatly improved [ ]
  • Slightly improved [X]
  • Stayed the same [ ]
  • Slightly worsened [ ]
  • Greatly worsened [ ]
2 Likes

Self-reporting form

1. Name of the therapy/substance: Sildenafil + Tadalafil
  • Dosage: Sildenafil - 50 mg, Tadalafil - 5 mg
  • How often you took it: Tadalafil each morning except the days, when I take 1 sildenafil pill in the evening(2 times per week)
  1. Status
  • Still using [X]
  • Stopped with no lasting change to initial symptoms [ ]
  • Stopped with persistent change to symptoms [ ]
  1. Duration of use: Days [X] Months [ ] Years [ ]
  2. Response when you started:
  • Greatly improved [X]
  • Slightly improved [ ]
  • Stayed the same [ ]
  • Slightly worsened [ ]
  • Greatly worsened [ ]
  1. Current response (if you’re still using) OR Response in the time before you stopped the treatment
  • Greatly improved [X]
  • Slightly improved [ ]
  • Stayed the same [ ]
  • Slightly worsened [ ]
  • Greatly worsened [ ]
  1. Lasting changes to initial symptoms after cessation (if you have stopped for more than 3 weeks) – to be seen
  • Greatly improved [ ]
  • Slightly improved [ ]
  • Stayed the same [ ]
  • Slightly worsened [ ]
  • Greatly worsened [ ]
1 Like

Well, without context these forms seem to be not really informative. So I’ll have a brief summary of my recovery history.
First temporary recovery occured in the summer(approx. 2 weeks) – no explanation, faded away quite fast – low libido, ED,PE, numbness, no regular morning/night erections, complete absense of spontaneous ones till the first half of October. In October there appeared some glimpses of sexual feelings, but without any proper body reactions. It gave me some hope. In early November I noticed I feel physical attraction to girls again, also I developed more-or less regular morning wood(although with kinda weak erection). No treatment at this point, but I was hoping I would gradually recover more and more. It didn’t happen. In fact around the end of November I noticed I developed mild-hard flaccid condition with soft glans syndrome. In December morning erections disappeared, I got feeling of rubberness and hollowness in my shaft. Although my mental state kept the recovery of sexuality.

Last week of December – I was prescribed Ornidazole against mild case of chronic blepharoconjunctivitis. Around the same time I noticed return of regular morning wood, and some spontaneous ones too. Moreover, it felt like the link between my brain and my genitals started working again, at least partially. Erection was again a normal reaction to sexual arousal, even some sexual thoughts could cause it. That hadn’t happen to me in months before that. Later, closer to the end of my 20 day Ornidazole course(it was meant to be 2 weeks, but I decided to finish the second pack as I didn’t experience any sides), I started taking Tadalafil+Sildenafil as it was proposed by an urologist (the scheme is on the form). So there is some overlapping with these drugs.
It feels like T+S improved my erection quality, the shaft could be almost as hard as it used to be(I’d call it completely normal, but I remember the girth used to be a bit bigger). I now experience regular morning, night and even spontaneous erections. But it hasn’t helped me(maybe yet, I’m still taking the pills) neither with a soft tip, nor with decreased sensitivity. Also there’s some libido decrease but it could be temporary due to some stress and bad sleeping.
I’m going to post an update some time after cessation of pills.

2 Likes

Thanks for using the new form, @Ultra.

For future, it’s totally fine to include context about your situation with the form.

1 Like

Thanks for your detailed explanation like always mate,

Now i am sure that these same type of antibiotics have helped us very similarly. Only difference is that while i was using Flagyl, my girth size and shaft strength increased even more than pre-accutane. But tip sensitivity has never ever come close to pre-accutane. Sad thing is after 2 weeks all improvements have gone. But at least now we know what can potentially help us. I wonder if your improvements will be permanent.

I think we have to communicate with people who has used same kind of antibiotics like we did or who used antidepressants with having PAS. If we manage to compare these results maybe we can decide what to choose.

1 Like

I just want to add that; i used Lifta and Ginseng for improving erections but none of them managed to build brain-genitals bond as much as Flagyl did. It’s quite interesting that one antibitoic which is produced for killing bacterias works better on erections and libido more than drugs which are produced to do that.

Obviously, it’s not enough for real improvement but at least we know that the link to the brain could be restored. I believe that the sensitivity issue could be solved too. I’m sorry that your recovery was only temporary. Has it gone two weeks after the last pill or just after stopping the drug? And btw have you tried Sildenafil? My urologist told me to start with it and add Tadalafil later.

No, i haven’t tried Sildenafil or Tadalafil yet. Girth size and erection strength stayed for two weeks after taking the last pill. Now erections are still ok but not as good as on Flagyl. I am looking forward for your progress i hope yours will be permanent.

Thank you man! Although my current condition is still far from my norm and I still lack so much, I believe I could live more-or-less normal life, even if it wouldn’t improve any further. But I also believe full recovery is possible.
Btw Google tells me Lifta is actually Tadalafil by other name.

Oh i didn’t know that :smiley:

Well then as far as i remember Tadalafil has worked really well on my erections. I am glad to hear you are doing good man! I am hopeful too. I will keep informing you when i get any progress. Take care.

1 Like

It feels like my sexuality is slowly slipping away from me again. Noticeable decrease in libido during the last few days. I hope it’s only consequences from my recent stressful period and messed up sleep(I’ve already managed to improve my sleep again). But I’m afraid it might be the antibiotic effect already fading away.
Also my urologist finally asked me to do the doppler test. He doesn’t believe in any tissue changes, said “it’s just for me to stop worrying”. I’m going to have it next week(if possible).

Hey mate, it’s sad to hear that…

At least now you got chance to test doppler and see if there is any vascular problem. I am quite sure that i have some tissue changes but even if it’s so, that’s not the root of our dysfunction. I look forward to hearing your doppler results.

For addition i finally managed to get an appointment from a famous psychiatrist in my country which for just to be sure if that problems are in my brain (like neurosteroid unbalance or some major depression that i don’t even realised) or not. I think he has to be able to seperate my psychological and physical problems from each other and give me a solid answer about that. My main topic will be about anhodenia. I think libido issues and anhodenia, general mood loss and not enjoying anything anymore like pre-drug may be all related. BUT is it about some chemical inbalances in brain or is it some kind of apocaliptic thing like most of theories on this forum like; reduced testosterone answer, silenced androgen receptors, mutated genes?? I don’t know if i can detect that but i think it’s worth a shot…

More than that, I have another acne breakout now, pretty much the same condition that pushed me towards Isotretinoin. But now I can’t use it. I feel really exhausted already. Well, I was fed up with this years ago, before PAS, and now it’s even more complicated.

Well, that’s good news. I hope this doctor will be helpful. I have some doubts that he could really tell you what’s psychosomatic and what’s not. Even my urologist still believes it could be all of psychological origin. But before isotretinoin messed it all up, I never had any erectile problems being depressed or tired, worried, sleepy or after sleepless nights, hungry, angry – it didn’t matter. And during the last couple of years I experienced like almost every possible malfunction except dick litteraly falling off. So I’m absolutely sure this was caused by those wonderful pills, but it’s not “on the surface” so to say.

I also believe the anhedonia you’re talking about must be closely connected with libido issues. (To some extent it’s true for me too. I’m trying to live like nothing happened so it would be hard to tell how I feel. Nonetheless I can’t help but notice all my positive emotions are numb and bleak. Pretty much like orgasm, but not that obvious.)
So it would be interesting to know what a good psychiatrist could say about this condition.

Btw what makes you think you already have some tissue changes?

Yeah i wonder what will he tell me too, i will share my discussion with him here. My appointment is on 7th of February.

I agree with you, i have experienced so many stressful events in my life before accutane and none of them effected my erections or libido. This is just something else for sure.

Well, most of the time in a day my penis stays in half erected size. (This can be due to more masturbation after having PAS because i kinda got obsessed about this situation) I no longer feel any sensation on tip part and shaft muscles no longer feels “elastic” anymore. When erected, i feel a hardening but it is different than it used to be. It’s even harder than before which maybe some people consider that’s a good thing but i don’t feel any sensation or mobility right there. It feels like my arm muscle just hard and mechanic. And tip part only erects when there is a physical stimulation. I don’t know if these changes are enough to consider as a “permanent tissue changes” but it feels different. My veins on penis are more visible and the skin is thinner and drier. I wonder if you have some similar changes?

Some good news; nowadays, i decreased my portions on meals and i feel much much better. Because of that i lost some weight but i don’t care. I no longer need to take a nap during a day and that makes me really happy. I believe if i continue like this my brain fog will be vanished in no time. My brain fog and general weakness problems are obviusly gut related. But that positive changes didn’t effect libido/erection any at all.

2 Likes

Hi, your recent post has been edited or removed as it is in breach of site policies: https://forum.propeciahelp.com/faq#theories

If you wish to report a change in your symptoms, please do so using the self-reporting form in your member story. A template can be found in the Member Stories category.

Thanks,
PH team

I’ve lost quite a lot weight too, actually I returned to the shape of my early university years. I feel like intermittent fasting works well for me. I hope you will be able to completely solve your brain fog issues.
If you’re interested in the connection between your way of eating/sleeping etc and well-being of your body, I’d recommend to watch some episodes of Huberman podcasts. He offers some really simple techniques which work quite well if done right(at least for me). It was his advice that helped me significantly improve my sleeping quality without taking any pills.

Well, next week I’ll find out whether I have any worrying tissue changes. Since the late November(at least) I haven’t had an erection without soft tip. Although the erection quality improved drastically since the end of December (right after statring antibiotic). It could be considered normal if not some decrease in girth(like sharpening), some slight curvature to the left and permanent soft tip. Also sometimes it may feel hollow, but not that often like it was in the autumn.

Looking forward to hearing the news from you.
Take care

1 Like

I read a scientific review of modern acne treatment(published in 2020), and in the chapter about isotretinoin the authors write the precise mechanism of action is still under research and casually mention erectile dysfunction in the list of possibly permanent side effects. Like it’s not a big deal. I just don’t have words for this.

1 Like

This is pretty much true for all medicines.

No, in other cases they know what is happening. Like a MAOI, also an enzyme inhibiting drug, they know that neurotransmitters aren’t metabolized as much meaning more being available. In our case it’s just like hey, we give this to cancer patients, oh they dont get acne anymore, why not give it to people whith acne. That’s just pure insanity.

2 Likes