Mushrooms in food

I know that someone here had a bad crash after eating some mushrooms (after developing PFS - I’m not saying that mushrooms caused his PFS).

A couple of days ago I had dinner out and there were some mushrooms (I don’t know which kind) in my meal. I picked them out and ate parts of the meal that had mushrooms in there, and then decided I couldn’t avoid them, so just ate the other parts of my meal instead.

That night I barely slept and had sweats.

I didn’t think I was particularly susceptible to diet influencing my condition, but this was 1) the first time I’ve eaten mushrooms in a year and 2) the worst night’s sleep I’ve had in over 6 months.

Coincidence?

I thought I’d mention it in case it’s helpful to anyone here. I know that Reishi mushrooms are 5ar inhibitors, they definitely should be avoided. I assume these were common mushrooms.

4 Likes

I’ve never experienced an adverse reaction to eating mushrooms.

Good to know, thanks @orthogs.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up @Greek. How big/small was the portion of mushrooms?

Reishi mushrooms will f*ck you up. They are very potent. One study showed its 5ar-inhibiting properties are 70-80%. By far the highest of all mushrooms. Many other mushrooms do the same, but none as bad as Reishi. In general I try to stay away from mushrooms now a days, but I feel that portabello don’t do quit as much harm.

2 Likes

I ate very little of them, so I’ll be very cautious in the future. Thankfully, I got 6 hours unbroken sleep the following (last) night but the night I ate mushrooms, I think I didn’t sleep for more than a couple of hours and less than an hour at a time.

Quite concerning that so few could cause such a reaction. Fortunately it doesn’t seem to be permanent.

I think one should be wary of eating fungi/plants in general. Many of them have defense mechanisms such as 5ar inhibiting substances.

4 Likes

Could it perhaps have been a placebo effect? You had the prior belief that mushrooms have negatively affected sufferers and you actively avoid consuming them…

1 Like

No, I don’t think so.

What kind of mushrooms? are we talking mushrooms like on pizza or spaghetti? or a more exotic type?
I would literally call the restaurant up and ask what kind of mushrooms are in that dish to know specifically. Maybe just say you have a allergy to a certain type.

1 Like
1 Like

This is unlikely something many need to worry about to the extent I do, but I had a terrible crash last year following food with non-specified “mushroom and mushroom extract” in. I hadn’t really thought anything of it until I was really, really unwell. It took me weeks to get out of and I thought I was toast at several points. It was particularly inconvenient as I had to travel overseas to meet with awor and a scientist at the time. I am very sensitive to anything antiandrogenic and as @moonman1’s indicated they inhibit 5a reductase, something I was not aware of before unfortunately. I would eat mushrooms before the development of severe PFS.

Perhaps something to consider if you are someone with severe symptoms after short use of finasteride.

1 Like

Could you expand further on this chart - what does it mean?
Thank you,

A lot of different mushrooms inhibit 5ar… so they are going to make you feel like shit.