Muscle twitching / spasms relieved by calcium, vitamin d, magnesium

I’ve been experiencing muscle twitching for about two years now. And it seems like a lot of others have as well. Untreated this twitching I find to be nearly impossible to live with, I can’t sleep nor function normally, with the never ending twitching. Originally, when the twitching started I thought there was something else causing it, and by dumb luck I suppose, I stumbled upon a way to control the twitching. I have to take a large amount of calcium, vitamin d, and magnesium four times a day. It took nearly 15 months for me to fine tune correct dosages to take. I am 31 years old, 6ft 2in, about 170 lbs, white male. Here’s the dosage I take:

8am:
900 mg of calcium
1000 i.u. vitamin d
400 mg of magnesium

3pm:
900 mg of calcium
1000 i.u. vitamin d
400 mg of magnesium

9pm:
900 mg of calcium
400 mg of magnesium
1 ‘mens one a day’ pill

Midnight:
900 mg of calcium

I find that if i’m diligent about sticking to that schedule I can virtually eliminate the twitching. But if I miss one of the schedule times I need to take those pills (even by 3-4 hours) the twitching comes back pretty fast. I still experience ‘flair ups’, where I’ll experience twitching even if I’m sticking to my schedule, but it’s usually minimal, and I can deal with it. It sucks having to be tied down to that schedule, but I don’t know what kind of person I’d be without it, like I said earlier it’s pretty hard to live with constant muscle twitching.

I’ve told doctors about the amount of calcium, vitamin d, and magnesium I’m taking, and they’ve said it’s ok. I’ve been diagnosed with benign fasciculation syndrome because of the twitching. I can only assume from the stories I’ve read (that sound a lot like mine) and that the muscle twitching started about a month after I started taking finasteride that, finasteride is the cause.

Anyway, I have no idea if this could help anyone else, or if anyone is taking a different drug(s) to control the twitching. But this solution is pretty cheap, and the only side effect I can report is dehydration, but obviously if you drink plenty of water it’s not much of an issue. Does anyone else have any other ways to control the muscle twitching?

I seem to get twitching when I take oral preg or dhea.

Magnesium and vitamin D helped with my twitching as well.
I have been going very hard with the vitamin D3… up to 15,000 IU throughout the day and maybe 500mg of magnesium or so.

Has your twitching improved? I still get mine on and off throughout the day. I can workout but I can feel the twitching and muscle tightening at times when at a state of rest.

I also would appreciate an update on this. What about muscle wastage? Have you guys experienced any of that as well?

I have, in calves, along with elevated Creatine Kinase which suggests muscle damage. However a neurologist examined me briefly and very quickly ruled out ALS and MS, for what it’s worth.

1 Like