Minoxidil-induced Post Finasteride Syndrome

Welcome to our community. Please fill in the following template as a way of introducing yourself, and helping others to understand your background and situation.

Where are you from (country)?
United States

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
Google search about PFS symptoms

What is your current age, height, weight?
Just turned 18, 5’11, 147lbs

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)?
Minoxidil
What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
Capful of 5% Kirkland Minoxidil 2x daily
What condition was being treated with the drug?
Hairloss
For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)?
6 months
How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug?
*17, January 2019
How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
*18, June 2019
How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
Cold Turkey
How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?
4 months
What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?
All of them. Nothing has improved in 7 months.
Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[xx] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[x] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[x ] Loss of Morning Erections
[x] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[x] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[x] Watery Ejaculate
[x] Reduced Ejaculate
[x] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[x] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[x] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[x] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ ] Confusion
[ ] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[ ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[ ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[x] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[x] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[/] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[xxx] Muscle Wastage
[xxx] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[xxx] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[xxx] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[x] Lowered body temperature

[x] Other (please explain)
Angry feelings, extreme collagen loss in skin, dry frizzy hair, no sebum/earwax/sweat.

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
Fasting, dozens of supplements, Creatine

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?
Never got a hormone test before Minoxidil but the rundown is high T (895ng/dl) low dht (45) and high E (40)

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

I dermarolled while using Minoxidil, so it went systemic and often overdosed slightly.

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

Started the drug for hairloss, stopped it initially because it was making my skin look like shit. From July 2019-Early December 2019 I was betting hard on recovering naturally. I fasted, took various different supplements but nothing was making me any better. Now I’m several months off the drug and convinced this will be permanent if I don’t treat it.

In December I got my hormone tests and realized my DHT was quite low for my High T. I did more research and found out that Minoxidil is an anti-androgen, and that could also explain my issues with skin and libido. January 1st 2020 I found this forum. I asked my doctor for DHT gel shortly after and she said it was my Adrenals that were the problem. I’ve been on Adrenal treatment (Adren-all) and haven’t seen any improvement at all in 2 weeks. I’ve also started Creatine yesterday and have a slight 5-10% improvement so far. It’s a shame that a drug that’s marketed as being innocent and risk-free alternative to Finasteride is really just as big of a 5-ar inhibitor. Now I’ve likely stunted my puberty and development if I don’t get some sort of treatment. I’ve dropped 10 lbs of muscle mass.

My current plan is to get my hands on Andractim, proviron, or mesterone. I will also go for a long no-fap session to get my androgen receptors up. I will also sprint cardio and intermittently fast for more androgen receptor density. I believe this is an androgen receptor issue 100%, PFS is not bacterial, it’s not an infection like some have proposed. It’s a hormonal issue 100%. So that’s what I’m going to be focusing on.

2 Likes

Let us know how you recovery goes! wish you all the best!

1 Like

Update: 3 months later, 4/30/20, no recovery at all. Tried DHT gel, worked like 50% the first time I used it and after that nothing, even with cycling. I experimented more with carb backloading but even that stopped working like how I would want it to.

Hi there,

I’ve unfortunately also used Minoxidil. Almost 15 year’s ago I used propecia for 1 month, had enduring side effects on me ever since. I didn’t take anything until I researched Minoxidil, which at the time seems a harmless way to keep hair growth without the hormonal side effects. However I’ve been completely mislead as Minoxidil had immediate effects on my body without me even realising the connection.

3 years later I have further reduced libido, more erection problems, testicular problems, etc. I always thought it was just the worsening effects of propecia. Finally in Jan 2020 I decided to stop minoxidil. I also went to a doctor. Looking at my hormonal table, he said he didn’t see anything unusual apart from low count of free testosterone. This is just in my case, but the doctor prescribed: testosterone, hmg lepori, plus some other supplements. 3 months later I have recovered some erectional function. Still have testicular issues and low libido.

it’s incredible how these suppliments can wreak havoc in your body, but nobody knows about the effects and the medical community will think you’re crazy if you suggest the correlation.

good luck

3 Likes

I got back on Kirkland 5% Minoxidil on June 19th, 2020. I’m going to stay on it until July 19th and then taper off.

Overall, it has been a net improvement in sides but not so much as though the baseline has been improved, but rather that moments where I feel improved have become more common. Unfortunately, they are just moments and I can’t call this a reliable recovery.

On the first 3 days, I applied a generous amount on my hairline 1x a day at night. The difference was astounding these first three days, first thing I notice when I woke up is mucus in my throat (haven’t had that in months), significantly more sweaty armpits, and glowing skin like I used to have in mornings. As the day progressed I noticed every PFS side was improved, and I had about 50% of the androgenic function I wanted to have, and about 75-80% of the way before I could call myself “recovered” and back to baseline, Pre-minoxidil. I felt better at night than mid-day.

This is undeniable proof that Minox is an anti androgen as it is clearly modulating and controlling my androgenic function.

I experimented a lot the past 3 weeks, but could never get back to how I felt the first 3 days, so I’m tapering off. The benefits quickly faded, and while the first two weeks were especially good, on week 3 when I started applying 2x a day again the benefits faded. I’ve tried everything from consistent applications, cycling, and 3 days on-3 days off. Now on week 4, back to 1x a day, it’s like Minoxidil no longer has any noticeable effect when I apply and I find myself with the typical PFS signals like weird, estrogenic smelling armpits, painfully dry and peeling skin, and hair that’s dry and frizzy. Thankfully at no point in this period on Minoxidil did I feel below PFS baseline.

My next endeavor will be St. John’s Wort. I‘ve stopped all supplements besides NOW FOODS L-Cartinine and L-Arginine. It was a very good decision. I’ve also switched to natural, non-anti androgenic deodorants and toothpastes, and I’m happy with how well they work and don’t taste/smell like sketchy chemicals. I’m going to start seriously getting some routine intense cardio in, and continue hitting the gym 3x a week.

2 Likes

I’m going to do the cdnuts protocol but without any herbs or “T-boosting supplements”

So for a week I’m going to fast Intermittently, carb backload

Adding in (high intensity) cardio and weightlifting gradually once my nutrient content gets high enough and it becomes worth it.

Generally eating a paleo diet, meat, fruits, vegetables. Except carbs at night, about 20-30 minutes before bed.

I have had great experiences with carb backloading before but it’s hard to say why.

So:

Fasting
Paleo
Carb Backloading
Exercise
Cold showers

No supplements

Going to experiment with this for a few weeks, and if I’m disappointed then I’ll get on St. John’s wort.

For anyone viewing this thread: Here’s my St. John’s wort experience getting updated periodically

Did you have the flood of DHT after quitting minoxidil two weeks after?

I’ve yet to read that happening with minoxidil like it does with finasteride?

It’s not a “flood of DHT” but yes, I did experience the crash after stopping minoxidil. It didnt happen two weeks later, it happened immediately after I quit and for a week i felt amazing and then crashed

I’ve talked with dozens of people on r/minoxbeards who had this happen to them as well… It definitely happens.