Minoxidil destruction and tretinoin

Hope someone with similar story can recommend a solution.

I used minoxidil for 7 weeks (many people here used both minoxidil and propecia. And many people who are experiencing side effects might as well react badly to the minoxidil).

I suffer from facial fat loss (hollowed out face) and slight sagging skin. It has been 9 months since I stopped using it work very little recovery.
I went from lots of baby fat and looking young for my age to a hollowed out face with tired look and dark circles. A slight drug addict look. My cheeks are not as firm and bulging anymore (more sagging), the corners of my mouth point more downwards, my jawline slimmed, the way I look out of my eyes changed into a fatigued/sad look.
A dermatologist recommended tretinoin (I believe afterwards it was even accutane) for recovery, I used this 3 times topically and it made it worse.
If I turn my head 90 degrees and look into the mirror the gravity makes my cheeks look the way they used to look, firm and bulging, the way I remembered my face to be. But the upright reality is depressing.
The difference to photos from last year is big.

I’m here to hope to find a solution.

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
Google Search

What is your current age, height, weight?
30, 6’2"/188cm, 154 Pounds (lb) / 70kg

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)?

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
7 weeks 5 solution in total
3/4 weeks twice a day, 3/4 weeks once a day.

What condition was being treated with the drug?

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)?

How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug?

How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
Quit March 2021

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
I stopped cold turkey and did a 4 day water fast.

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?
Looking back it was about 7-10 days in of the minoxidil that I started experiencing heart palpitations. I should have quit immediately. Also bloated face. And whilst on it strangely highly increased libido/sex drive.

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

Sexual
[ ] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[ ] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ ] Loss of Morning Erections
[ ] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[X] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[X] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ ] Confusion
[ ] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[ ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[X] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[X] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[X] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[X] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[X] Other (please explain)
Skin aging, dark circles, sad looking eyes, sagging skin under eyes and cheeks, loss of volume (caused by either subconscious fat loss or sagging skin)

Anxiety, restlessness, sleep problems getting tired and than suddenly very awake, waking up and not feeling energised/refreshed.

Chest tightness. Muscles more easily hurt. Delayed wound healing, easily long term hardening of the skin with pimples on my back.

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?

Healthy eating, exercise.

1 Like

Hi John and welcome to the forum! Nice to see people stepping out of anonymity and using first and last names here :joy:

It seems like you forgot to fill out the form that was in the post when you composed it. Can you answer those questions, so we get a sense for where you’re coming from?

I totally know what you’re talking about with the facial changes. I got the hollow cheeks and sunken eyes too. Super dry skin as well. My upper lip has swelled up… The region around my mouth and nose feels swollen and puffy all the time. It’s gotten worse with each failed supplement experiment.

I use sunscreen every day - that should at least help a little with skin aging. Also try to practice good sleep hygiene. A face mask made my sleep better, I think.

1 Like

No, there hasn’t been any big improvements. It’s a sad thing, but I think I notice it more than people around me.

You mentioned accutane right. Beware of that poison, many also got post accutane syndrome, very comparable to PFS, check the forums.

I’m 38 now.