Methylation Block/Glutathione Depletion-Treatment Discussion

mmm so maybe i will try it.
are you still on it?
and could you give me a link to what exactly you took?

Had some more questions on my b12/folate dosing, timing, etc.

I found this post of mine from Sept/12:

I take one b12 and 5-MTHF in the morning… One cal and mag capsule at bedtime. Also upped my fish oil to 3 a day.

For the last 3 weeks my energy and mental clarity has been perfect. I’m actually needing less sleep, too. Just a few months ago, I was thinking of trying provigil due to excessive fatigue.

I’m also having sex or masturbating 5 times a week and the ejaculation volume is much more than it has been. The orgasm feels better, too.

I think perhaps the folate, rather than folic acid is a main reason for my new found energy.

Presently just taking 1 mg B12, 400-800 mcg of folate. Think it was September/13 when I lowered the doses. The year in between was mostly 2mg B12 and 1-2mg folate. I have felt steady at this dose and not felt like there was a drop off. I will at some point do a trial of higher mg’s of folate because I think it has a chance to do more good things. Right now I’m working on improving my diet.

Hi Guys,

Here is my update with my current regimen. I have very Good News. For the first time, no neurological side effects, sleeping very well, orgasm intensity returning slowly back to normal, very good erections so it appears that everything is in sync. What made the difference was the increase of Phosphatidylserine to at least 300 mg per day and also the addition of 5000 IU of Vitamin D3 (this helped with better sleep quality).

My Regimen :

Morning :
100 mg Forskolin
5000 IU Vit D3
300 mg Phosphatidylserine (Now Brand)
TMG (1000 mg)
Taurine 500 mg
Metafolin 1600 mcg

Evening (around 20:00 PM)
1000 mg TMG
Metafolin 800 mcg

I know that this quite heavy and i am planning to slowly move to an absolute minimum of supplements. I will first try to remove Forskolin as it might well be that Phosphatidylserine helps to restore HPTA function.

Next, i do not know if i could ditch TMG but since being a methyl donor, methyl donors have always helped me. Taurine has helped me in stopping my “Tinnitus attacks” which i now believe was due to Glutamate over-excitation. Vit D3 essential for proper sleep so i am also keeping this one. Metafolin needs further trials as i do not know whether higher dosages would be beneficial. So to recap :

1. Phosphatidylserine 300 mg (but not less) has stopped my neurological side effects and restored Orgasm intensity
  2. Vitamin D3 5000 IU restored proper sleep function
  3. Taurine helped with Glutamate over-excitation

Further testing needed for

-Forskolin : It definitely helped with my hypothyroidism and hypogonadism but maybe high-dose Phosphatidylserine helps restore proper HPTA function. OTOH Forskolin boosts Pregnenolone production which could be very important for PFS.
-Metafolin : I am not sure if higher dosage is warranted but i would definitely go for at least 4000 mg / day to see how i am feeling.

PS : Perhaps the best book i’ve ever read is “TextBook of Natural Medicine” by Pizzorno, Murray ISBN: 978-1-4377-2333-5. It has everything about Methylation, cAMP, Forskolin, etc.

mariovitali, or anyone

When you say you have used 100mg Forskolin, what % extract of Forskolin do the tablets have? I have seen all variety of mg’s and % of tabs advertised and it is confusing

Yes Man, sorry you are right. It is 250mg standardized to 20%. That means that i have to take two tablets to reach 100mg

UPDATE :

First of all i am continuing to feel great again : Due to a trip in UK i forgot to take my TMG tablets and rushed to buy an equivalent brand here. It took me two days to find the stuff and the one i found provided 500 mg of TMG per tablet… So for about 5 days that i was getting the new brand of TMG i started feeling really bad with all of my neurological side effects coming back. I then realized that the brand i was using back home (NOW brand) was 1000mg per pill whereas i was now getting 500mg. I started the correct dose of TMG which in my case is 3 grams per day and all sides subsided within a day.

So TMG is definitely needed. The problem -as i discussed before- is that i need to cut back on all of the stuff i am getting so perhaps i will try to cut PhosphatidylSerine or at least lower the dosage to see what happens. The other problem is that i am not sure what has helped me in restoring my anorgasmia (whether it was TMG or PS) so this is somethingi will be looking at over the next days.

My Current Regimen :

Morning (around 7:30 am):

1. 5000 IU Vitamin D3
  2. Forskolin 100 mg (two tabs of 250 mg standardized to 20%)
  3. Phosphatidylserine 300 mg (3 x 100 mg tabs)
  4. TMG 1000 mg
  5. Metafolin 800 mcg
  6. Taurine 500 mg

Afternoon (around 14:00)

1. Metafolin 800mcg
  2. TMG 1000 mg

Evening (around 20:00) :

Taurine 500 mg

Night (around 24:00)

1. Metafolin 800 mcg
  2. TMG 1000 mg

so, yesterday morning i received some methylcobalamin (1mg) and metafolin (800mcg) in the mail and immediately took one of each. currently have some of the worst brainfog i’ve ever experienced, which seems to be in line with what a few others have documented in this thread. now, quick question: should i continue taking them as is, reduce the dose or stop taking them altogether and start up when things go back to baseline?

slightly worried

No hope,

I started with very small crumbs of the metafolin and the co-factors. My understanding is it is important to have the other B-vitamins from a good multiple/b-complex (People can sound off on what they are using).

B6, magnesium and some other things are needed to support the cycle. The brain fog could come from a lot of things: using up some limiting nutrient is one of the possible reasons.

It took me a month to work up to full doses. And I had to incorporate coconut water and bananas because I would get low potassium.

thanks for the reply droit

yeah i’m also taking a bunch of other supps, including magnesium, zinc, fish oil, vit d and a b complex. not sure on the quality of the b complex, have a feeling it’s pretty crap tbh.

but yeah, will start with a much lower dose of methylcobalamin tomorrow. got a bit paranoid that methylcobalamin/folate could facilitate degeneration of the spinal cord in those with a b12 deficiency after reading this however:

just hoping the brain fog is due to detoxification, or mercury or whatever and not rapid spinal cord degeneration.

has anyone here injected b12 and had any marked gains? probably would be a bit safer, or of course just taking hydroxocobalamin instead.

what do you think about this b12?

ebay.com/itm/Methyl-B-12-Jar … 27dc104e6d

I think most people here take the Enzymatic Therapy version. The people on Phoenix Rising take this version.

ca.iherb.com/Enzymatic-Therapy-B … blets/2119

People can sound off on what they take.

Just a quick note: from a SpectraCell test before starting the Methylation Protocol and 1 year later, it seems my Zinc has depleted. I posted the details here:

forums.phoenixrising.me/index.ph … inc.27950/

I don’t think this is a bad sign, I suspect its just a nutrient that is needed during the healing process. So I have added additional Zinc and minerals to my protocol.

It seems this is a common phenomenon from replies in that thread. If anyone else has seen zinc depletion after starting the protocol on a lab result, please post your experience.

I just wanted to add a reply I got from my endo. at Dr Herthoge’s clinic after I sent her my methylation panel results. Previously she had never spoken about methylation. Any comments welcome.

Has anyone done B12 injections (active forms of course)? I’ve seen papers that say sublingual is very good so I’m not advocating.

But I would like to hear about any experiences.

So , last week I was sleeping much better and was in a good mood.
On Friday I felt on my left leg something that I could describe has a discomfort in the leg. But I have also been exercising a lot. In any case I decided to stop all the vitamins until the leg got better, because it could be for example too much B6.
The leg is now better and I’ve started reintroducing the vitamins.

What I would like to say is that Saturday I noticed I was slightly irritated. I’ve drank a few drinks on Saturday night so it’s normal I didnt sleep well. BUt then from sunday to monday and monday to tuesday (today), my mood was shit and my sleep wasn’t as good. I wasn’t so sleepy at night, even after the trazodone, and I actually tonight woke up after 5.30 hours of sleep.

I’ve restarted b12 , b9, Vitamin C and Zinc.

I think what I had was from exercise, because later on the discomfort in the leg turned into tiredness in the leg and later some small pain, which has now subsided for the most part.

Nonetheless, I would like to ask you if you had any problems with B6, or if you think 50mg a day of P5P could be problematic?

Thanks

For the last few days I have developed a skin rash that itches on the side of my torso.
It seems to have coincided with a new batch of Methyl-B12 2500mcg and NAC 500mg both from Jarrow that I have taken.
Previously I had been taking a B12-200 +Folate+B6 combined pill from Biotics Research and the NAC was from Jarrow but with a different labelling. I don’t know if these facts are relevant.

I’m going to run out of Metafolin and most sites don’t deliver it in the country where I am and the other sites won’t give your money back if you don’t get your package, which is a high probability here. I saw today that they are selling folinic acid in pharmacies. Should I give it a try or just stick with food containing folate if there’s no way to get Metafolin?

Livingdead,

Folinic Acid (not to be confused with Folic Acid - the synthetic form), is an active form of folate, and certainly better than Folic Acid typically found in multivitamins according to most schools of thought.

Well, I guess it’s better than nothing.

Thanks, droit.

although I don’t know much about glutothione but found this interesting.These days there is much discussion about black seed (Nigella Sativa)'s benefits. Pubmed has a lot studies. Anyway Black seed is supposed to increase your glutathione.
blackseedpro.com/index.php?o … Itemid=106
Nigella sativa (black cumin) ameliorates potassium bromate-induced early events of carcinogenesis: diminution of oxidative stress

Khan N, Sharma S, Sultana S.
Section of Chemoprevention and Nutrition Toxicology, Department of Medical Elementology and Toxicology, Faculty of Science, Jamia Hamdard, Hamdard University, New Delhi 110 062, India.

Potassium bromate (KBrO3) is a potent nephrotoxic agent. In this paper, we report the chemopreventive effect of Nigella sativa (black cumin) on KBrO3-mediated renal oxidative stress, toxicity and tumor promotion response in rats. KBrO3 (125 mg/kg body weight, intraperitoneally) enhances lipid peroxidation, gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase, hydrogen peroxide and xanthine oxidase with reduction in the activities of renal antioxidant enzymes and renal glutathione content. A marked increase in blood urea nitrogen and serum creatinine has also been observed. KBrO3 treatment also enhances ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity and [3H] thymidine incorporation into renal DNA. Prophylaxis of rats orally with Nigella sativa extract (50 mg/kg body weight and 100 mg/kg body weight) resulted in a significant decrease in renal microsomal lipid peroxidation (P < 0.001), gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase (P < 0.001), H2O2 (P < 0.001) and xanthine oxidase (P < 0.05). There was significant recovery of renal glutathione content (P < 0.01) and antioxidant enzymes (P < 0.001). There was also reversal in the enhancement of blood urea nitrogen, serum creatinine, renal ODC activity and DNA synthesis (P < 0.001). Data suggest that Nigella sativa is a potent chemopreventive agent and may suppress KBrO3-mediated renal oxidative stress, toxicity and tumour promotion response in rats.

another study for nigella sativa for improving sperm quality and fertility.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?ter … nfertility
It is concluded that daily intake of 5ml N. sativa oil for two months improves abnormal semen quality in infertile men without any adverse effects.

Copyright © 2014. Published by Elsevier GmbH.

1 Like