Melatonin safe? DO NOT TAKE MELATONIN!

@Zonz do you have any further information on that?

1 Like

Wow This is not science and purely observational. This is what’s called bro science. Look at the world we live in today with covid where people observationally took hydroxyclorequine and they thought it made them better but science has shown it makes most people worse. There are so many flaws in your rational about melatonin where I don’t even know where to start. Your body already makes this hormone which decreases with age. Maybe you bought a bad batch. Maybe you had a cold for a week that altered your observation. Maybe you had covid. Maybe it was a full moon. 100 people will read This an now think melatonin is poisonous. There are no long term studies on melatonin is harmful but there are many short term studies showing it is safe. As someone who struggled with PFS in the past, I Can say with a kind heart that just because you took some pills and feel different does not mean that the pills were the cause of your troubles. There are probably 1000 other factors involved … your water in your house or apartment could be making you sick. You should always consult a doctor and have an extensive blood work up. If your doctor is not helpful then find another. Your doctor works for you and not vice versa.

1 Like

Hmm, that’s new to me. Can’t say that supplemental melatonin makes my symptoms better or worse, but I am one of many people whose insomnia is made worse on melatonin. I think this thread highlights the fact that blocking artificial light exposure at night is important for us.

Melatonin Regulates the Synthesis of Steroid Hormones on Male Reproduction: A Review

Melatonin is a ubiquitous molecule and exhibits different effects in long-day and short-day breeding animals. Testosterone, the main resource of androgens in the testis, is produced by Leydig cells but regulated mainly by cytokine secreted by Sertoli cells.

Melatonin acts as a local modulator of the endocrine activity in Leydig cells. In Sertoli cells, melatonin influences cellular proliferation and energy metabolism and, consequently, can regulate steroidogenesis.

These suggest melatonin as a key player in the regulation of steroidogenesis. However, the melatonin-induced regulation of steroid hormones may differ among species, and the literature data indicate that melatonin has important effects on steroidogenesis and male reproduction.

Melatonin is a hormone and shall be respected as such. It can help some (including myself) with unrelenting insomnia but may hurt others. Some studies state it’s an aromatase enzyme inhibitor so low E2 fellas, beware. It can also act as pro-Inflammatory or anti-inflammatory and have the ability to shift gut microbiome. So mind your melatonin. If your really must take it, no more than 0.15mg at a time.

1 Like

Anyone able to take large amounts 10mg+ of melatonin without side effects?

How bad is your PFS?

I am taking 12 mg regularly. Doc says because of high dose melatonin,”when i was COVID i took 36 mg per day” 2g nac and 2g niacin i survived moderate COVID very easy… it felt like very mild but ct says i am having moderate to heavy disease.

I cut out melatonin and have not felt a noticeable difference.

For me It helps fall asleep but it is not strong very mild effects. I used it as a anti cancer and antioxidant agent. Sometimes i drop using it but absolutely no effects on pfs