Lurker signing up

Where are you from (country)? Brazil

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?) Google Search

What is your current age, height, weight?

27 years old, 1.76 meters, 70 kg

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)?

Oral Finasteride.

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
1mg/day

What condition was being treated with the drug?
Hair loss.

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)?

Took the drug for almost three years, but also taking some monthly intervals.

Date when you started the drug?

Early 2018

Date when you quit the drug?

Late 2020

Age when you quit?

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?

Cold Turkey

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?

I’ve always noticed the libido side effects when on the drug. But, they’d always go away when I discontinued the drug.

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[ X] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[ X] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ ] Loss of Morning Erections
[ X] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate
[X ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[X ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[X ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ ] Confusion
[X ] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[ ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[ X] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[X ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ X] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
TRT, Mucuna Pruriens, DIM, Vitamin D, Oxandrolone.

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?

I don’t have pre blood tests.

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

I began to take the drug in my early 20’s as I had very low self-steem and the thought of going bald made me very anxious. I took the drug daily, with minor libido side effects, I noticed masturbation wouldn’t feel so good, but everytime I’d stop using the drug, within one week or so, the side effects would’ve disappeared.

I continued to use the drug during 3 years or so, but wouldn’t do it in a continuous way. There would be months I’d be off it.

My problems began in november of 2020, I resumed treatment with Finasteride for about a week or so, but quit right after.

This time, the side effects would persist.

I noticed my penis had reduced sensitivity, and had difficulties achieving an erection.

At the time, I was also suffering from depression, so I didn’t pay much attention to it.

I thought my problems were psychological, so I paid a visit to a psychiatrist, who prescribed me SSRI inhibitors: Escitalopram, Bupropione and Fluoxetine. These were prescribed one after the other, after I told the doctor I was experiencing sexual side effects. I waited for about 8 months, when I finally quit the SSRIs in october 2021.

That’s when I started researching about my problems, and I found out about PFS.

I decided to post my story and join the community to make it grow and get stronger.

8 Likes

Hey there @Caio912 ,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been going through this. It’s crazy that these drugs are still widely prescribed to young people for cosmetic issues despite all the known issues and risks.

While the circumstances/reasons aren’t ideal we are glad to have you with us.

I hope I can make you feel a little better by telling you that some scientific research efforts have been community funded and are being prepared as we speak.

There are some ways you may be able to help, like reporting your side effects to your country’s pharmacovigilance agency, and joining various awareness efforts.

Despite the situation I hope you had a good transition into the new year.
Please take good care of yourself to the best of your ability.

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

I was told this crap was perfectly safe without any real side effects by a dermatologist in late 2021

1 Like

I feel with you, stay strong. I had more or less the same experience

1 Like