Low dose Prozac

When my Phyciatrist and I were discussing treatment with SSRIs I questioned him regarding the possible side effects, specifically ED, he said most definitely it can cause that for people without ED temporarily while med are taken, but for people with ED it can help the user relax more in sexual situations, take that anxiety away. The mechanism of the PFS sufferer’s ED is more than just anxiety but is still worth mentioning.
Sorry I dont have a link.

Yeah, so some people with extreme depression might benefit from taking a serotonin drug. But to use the drug off label is a big danger due to the side effects and the potential that they not ever go away. Yes everyone is a little bit different but we are all humans-- and the usual side effects they found in the 1980s are still around for people who take them in 2020.

PLUS we have to be skeptical of a drug, of 1 pill, being able to be THE solution to the problem.

Depression and mental illness are biopsychosocialbehavioral disorders, not just neurological/brain ones. Good psychotherapy like CBT ACT DBT is better than taking pills and does not do biological harm to the body.

Yes and taking a drug like an SSRI will CAUSE ED! So then the psych will say “increase the dose, you are more anxious” which is totally getting it @$$ backwards. Dangerous. And to think that instead of learning with a therapist or with books how to deal with premature ejaculation, Big Pharma says “take this SSRI–we already know you will have trouble with your erection and orgasm while taking it” It is so blatantly obvious that they are confirming the bad side effects of serotonin drugs by repurposing them for things like Premature E!

1 Like

Isn’t that why we all keep coming back to propeciahelp.com to check in on this forum day after day. Hoping there has been some sort of breakthrough overnight that is going to help us get better, I know I do. Thank you for your input Crossroads.
Before we get too far off topic I’d like to return to the OP. Are there any active members who can report positive experiences from using low dose prozac??

This topic interests me as well, some users have tried this it seems. Most people here completely missed the point. OP is asking about Prozac (Fluoxetine) in very low doses (so low that they don’t even affect Serotonin, so they shouldn’t cause serotonin ED).

SSRIs act as selective brain steroidogenic stimulants (SBSSs) at low doses that are inactive on 5-HT reuptake

What came first: the chicken or the egg?
What I mean is: did the person get depressed because he is struggling with having PFS and therefore his brain is not producing “enough” allo compared to nondepressed people?
OR, is the person not producing enough allo because finasteride/PFS reduces/blocks at least one of the two enzymes that are needed to create allo inside the brain, which leads downstream to a depressive state?

Sorry, but the truth about SSRI’s is so horrific most people wouldn’t even believe. Drug companies only have to have 2 successful clinical trials to proceed so they keep on repeating untill they get the results they want. The truth is not only are placebos more effective, more people die from suicides while on them. Drug companies have been successfully sued for this therefore there is now a black box warning on the box warning of suicide. That was their response, not to take it off the market. Suicide isn’t because people are already depressed it is because these drugs induce akathesia which is so violently disturbing it makes a happy person want to immediately kill themselves. This is due to way these drugs intensely deplete dopamine in some individuals. With in a couple of doses people are walking in front of trains and tying rope around their necks. Google any of these things and you will find the disgusting truth.

For the rare few that need that extra serotonin in their brain chemistry, yeh it may work. For some just a change in their brain chemistry will allow them to think they’re better, inducing a placebo effect.

3 Likes

I can’t be sure how it works nor is there any point in wasting time trying to figure that out(big pharm doesnt know how ssris work, if it works that’s all that matters,isn’t it?) but what I do know is that whenever I take supplements that work on gaba receptors my cognitive issues seem to improve. Whether that is with Benzos , Taurine, Alcohol, the results are similar and undeniable. I would be doing myself a great disservice if I ignored the research that states low dose prozac boosts allopregnenalone which we all know is a potent gabaa modulator. Remember this topic is low dose prozac, nothing more, try to respect that please.

I take it at 20mg daily.

@betweenjobs why don’t you go and get a prescription for Prozac liquid form and try it then? You can just tell the doctor you want to start at a super low dose and work up to the normal or something.

I have pfs like symptoms from a ssri sertraline. Dont take it

1 Like

Way ahead of you. I have the liquid form at home, I’ve had it for 3 weeks now and have been waiting for a weekend where I havent had to work to start.
And when I do I will update this thread with how I’m feeling. I was hoping for some solid info from someone here who has try it themselves so I would know more or else what to expect. Since I havent got that yet , I feel as though Im still at square one with all of that. The jury is still out on whether or not this could improve cognitive impairments.

I know people have tried it and posted their experiences I’ll try and find the thread later but if you search low dose fluoxetine or low dose Prozac it will be one of those. As far as I remember it didn’t work in the long term for them

I’m sorry to hear. However I dont think you have pfs like symptoms from sertraline, you have pssd like symptoms from sertraline. Our situations and reasons for taking ssris couldn’t be more different.
What dose and length of time did you use Sertraline for?

One dose was just what i took. I cant be more unlucky.
Tinnitus insomnia numbness, etc etc

I’ve read through them , there’s not much that is useful.

Nine days only on ssri and i’m totally a mess just read trough my profile presentation thread how many symptoms i’ve got and still have… seriously a thread like this shouldn’t even exist… oh and yes ssri are as much antiandrogenics as much finasteride so is incredibly stupid to hope that a “low dose” could possibly help.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing. Did you start taking it to treat your pfs? Does it help with anything in particular?

Sorry to hear about your health. I also took minoxidil experienced side effects after a short while had to stop, rogaine on the frontal area of my head experienced side effects, antifungal shampoo same effects after that I was pretty messed up, some sides did get better others persisted. It wasnt til two short stints on finasteride did i know something serious had happened. My mom took finasteride and I can recognize her cognitive pfs, tells me I was predisposed for something bad to happen. I also took accutane in my teens stunted my growth I didnt grow past grade 9. Since then I ve been dealing with my degrading health and know all too well what it’s like to be sick. 12 years and counting if I count from when i took accutane it’s been 22 years. In the past few years I’ve tried both welbutrin and mirtazapine at full doses and decided to discontinue. I didnt get any worse from taking them. I’ve done the research so maybe instead of calling this thread stupid, try and think that you’re not the only person who is suffering and has reached desperation. I also understand you haven’t taken low dose prozac in your life to treat pfs and therefore have nothing to contribute on the topic.

I’m very sorry and saddened to know about your condition,it’s not my intention to screw anyone or make feel someone stupid (no ones is) but ssri are not the solution in my opinion and can possible make things a lot worse as we have seen often.

And this because SSRI raises allopregnanolone by inhibiting an enzyme called 3α‐HSD or
α‐hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (a step before 5 alpha reductase) so the antiandrogenics property of ssri are well proven.

Repeat sadly low dose ssri are not the solution…

1 Like