Low dose Prozac

Way ahead of you. I have the liquid form at home, I’ve had it for 3 weeks now and have been waiting for a weekend where I havent had to work to start.
And when I do I will update this thread with how I’m feeling. I was hoping for some solid info from someone here who has try it themselves so I would know more or else what to expect. Since I havent got that yet , I feel as though Im still at square one with all of that. The jury is still out on whether or not this could improve cognitive impairments.

I know people have tried it and posted their experiences I’ll try and find the thread later but if you search low dose fluoxetine or low dose Prozac it will be one of those. As far as I remember it didn’t work in the long term for them

I’m sorry to hear. However I dont think you have pfs like symptoms from sertraline, you have pssd like symptoms from sertraline. Our situations and reasons for taking ssris couldn’t be more different.
What dose and length of time did you use Sertraline for?

One dose was just what i took. I cant be more unlucky.
Tinnitus insomnia numbness, etc etc

I’ve read through them , there’s not much that is useful.

Nine days only on ssri and i’m totally a mess just read trough my profile presentation thread how many symptoms i’ve got and still have… seriously a thread like this shouldn’t even exist… oh and yes ssri are as much antiandrogenics as much finasteride so is incredibly stupid to hope that a “low dose” could possibly help.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing. Did you start taking it to treat your pfs? Does it help with anything in particular?

Sorry to hear about your health. I also took minoxidil experienced side effects after a short while had to stop, rogaine on the frontal area of my head experienced side effects, antifungal shampoo same effects after that I was pretty messed up, some sides did get better others persisted. It wasnt til two short stints on finasteride did i know something serious had happened. My mom took finasteride and I can recognize her cognitive pfs, tells me I was predisposed for something bad to happen. I also took accutane in my teens stunted my growth I didnt grow past grade 9. Since then I ve been dealing with my degrading health and know all too well what it’s like to be sick. 12 years and counting if I count from when i took accutane it’s been 22 years. In the past few years I’ve tried both welbutrin and mirtazapine at full doses and decided to discontinue. I didnt get any worse from taking them. I’ve done the research so maybe instead of calling this thread stupid, try and think that you’re not the only person who is suffering and has reached desperation. I also understand you haven’t taken low dose prozac in your life to treat pfs and therefore have nothing to contribute on the topic.

I’m very sorry and saddened to know about your condition,it’s not my intention to screw anyone or make feel someone stupid (no ones is) but ssri are not the solution in my opinion and can possible make things a lot worse as we have seen often.

And this because SSRI raises allopregnanolone by inhibiting an enzyme called 3α‐HSD or
α‐hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (a step before 5 alpha reductase) so the antiandrogenics property of ssri are well proven.

Repeat sadly low dose ssri are not the solution…

1 Like

I dont know why this thread, ssris blunt libido delays eyaculation and give you anorgasmia same as finasteride

1 Like

Honestly it’s probably different for everyone, I take a mild dose without issues, I have taken accutane and finestride also.

I use it as an anti-inflammatory, it is supposed to slow the breakdown of retinoic acid. Been on it for about 2 months, so far no issues.

And do you have any lasting side effects from accutane or finasteride?

@betweenjobs did you ever start the low dose Prozac?

Ya I did. It was a very short attempt at a treatment. I started it just over 2.5 months ago. I lasted six days on an ultra low dose of 2.5mg a day.
My experience mixed.
On one hand my digestive issues which are
Ibs , diarrhea, itchy bum, food sensitivities , irregular bowel movements, cleared up in a few days which was amazing. I think to this day I’ve been able to keep some of those gains. Not all of them though.
While taking the prozac i was definitely on track to start getting better sleep , feeling of well being was a bit better, and i felt less anxious the first couple days.
The bad side effects that started and got stronger and stronger each day to the point I had to stop were extreme lethargy, I was so lazy and weak I didnt want to move. It made me really badly slurr my words, I felt like I was drooling, i couldn’t even put a sentence together. It made me feel really uncomfortable in public I shouldn’t have been out in public I was impaired Basically handicapped, pretty much a puddle. I cant miss work and I deal with a lot of people making safety sensitive decisions along the way. I was putting myself and others at risk so I had to quit immediately. And that was all on a tenth of a therapeutic dose.
My hair went into telogen effluvium stage started falling out , gained 15 pounds in 5 days. Lost all libido and couldn’t reach climax.
So , a bad experience. Then because it has such a long half life I dealt with that for about six weeks everyday getting closer to pfs levels and but still waves of these horrible sides. I was actually looking forward to getting back to pfs, also mild hallucinations and butterflies and euphoria, probably a pinch of serotonin syndrome , it was horrible for me. My libido and erectile function came back , weight back down. But there is still lingering cortisol issues for sure. My sleep was worse but is getting better again.
Would I try it again if I had time off work, maybe but never again while at work. No thank you. I feel almost like my baseline got a bit better though. My digestive issues have had long lasting effects. I would maybe try something that has a much shorter half life.
I took a risk by taking but I didnt retain any long term issues from it. did it boost Allopregnanolone, not sure.

I think it would be impossible to have serotonin syndrome because at that Dose serotonin wouldn’t be altered. Thanks for the report though I’m sorry that it didn’t work out for you. I would assume brain fog would get better if anything did

Yes one would think so, unless of course one’s serotonin receptors were severely down regulated and therefore caused serotonin to pool in the body rather than to be expelled or metabolized. That’s how those medications are designed to work. My Phyciatrist couldnt wrap his head around it either, it is clear he doesn’t understand what is going on with a patient who suffers from pfs.