Low dose Prozac to raise Allopregnanolone

Has anyone taken low dose prozac in the last few years? I’ve read posts from years ago about members doing it, and it seems to improve mood. I’m thinking of taking some but want to hear personal experiences about it from other people first.

The thing with Prozac is that I believe the reason it raises allopregnenolone is by preventing the current amount of allo in your body from oxidizing back to 5α-dihydroprogesterone instead of generating new allo.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4290723/

Unless I misunderstood the paper which is a very real possibility.

I agree with your interpretation of the study… so you would need allopregnanolone to begin with.

[quote=“Jaime, post:3, topic:33721, full:true”]
I agree with your interpretation of the study… so you would need allopregnanolone to begin

Did you end up giving it a go?

No need to risk PSSD with Prozac (also Prozac is a really nasty antidepressant as it also acts on norepinephrine which makes you super impulsive and impatient).

You can take 5a-DHP instead. It should be raising allo and it does improve mood. I am taking it right now but I am being very careful because raising mood is a double-edge sword and it should be done in very small degrees. I am only taking 1mg in the morning and 1mg at night.

Also, I am not doing it for the mood per se but with the hope of achieving long term neurological improvement especially regarding neuropathy.

Nope. Too risky. I got it offered to me by doctors, but I said no and haven’t regretted it.

As @sibelio said, Prozac itself can give you PSSD.

Where do you get 5adhp?

[quote=“Sibelio, post:5, topic:33721”]
No need to risk PSSD with Prozac (also Prozac is a really nasty antidepressant as it also acts on norepinephrine which makes you super impulsive and impatient).

I understand the risks of prozac and othe ssri scausing Pssd. I dont think prozac is an SNRI and otherwise wouldnt have any effects on norepinephrine but I could be wrong. When low dosing at 1/10 of the regular starting dose and far below the full dose range seems worth the risk. As well anyone who is already battling Ed, then can it can any worse? I have a script for prozac 10mg capsules and found a dispensary that will give me the liquid form so that I can take the medication at as low of dose as the syringe will let allow me which if needed would be below 2.5 mg. At that dose from what the internet… says and others on this forum is it’s low enough that serotonin reuptake isnt even an issue but will still boost allo. I dont know what to believe anymore. All that is left is to try it myself and find out how I react. I’ve taken antidepressant on two other occasions in the past and had varying effects. First time was with wellbutrin which I felt good on after I got over the hump but broke out in hives so had to quit. Second time I tried mirtazapine and had to quit after just a few days from what I can only refer to my experience as serotonin syndrome… hallucinations, paranoia, extreme fatigue Wasnt able to function enough to get over the hump. Either way both times went back to baseline. I’ve read of bad responses from 5 dhp as well. If it is working for you great. But I’m not going to remind you of the history that that has had on others. My question is referring to the ability of low dose.

1 Like