Looking for some support - Scary Fin Side Effects

After years of hoping I would never have to take this drug, I finally gave in. Backstory: I am a healthy 36 year old man living in New York. No history of depression or (any serious) anxiety and have never taken an anti-depressant or anxiety med in my life. After years of extensive on and off research and reading up on Finasteride, I knew the risks of this medication and never ever liked the idea of taking hormone altering drugs long term. There is no doubt in my mind that there is serious substance to all the persistent/permanent side effect horror stories that are literally all over the internet just like there were for drugs like Vioxx and Accutane. That being said, I knew the risks were extremely small, and I’m the last type of guy on Earth that can pull off the bald look.

That brings us to this past Tuesday and this past Friday. I finally gave Fin a try, and though very comfortable at the time, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I had some significant underlying fears over putting it into my body. That being said, I went on with my day and tried not to think about it. I kid you not, on both occasions of taking it, no more than a half an hour later I began feeling lightheaded, dizzy, fatigued, and downright “off” in general. It should be known that I’m talking dizzy as in I felt legit off balance when cleaning my kitchen at one point, and had my head droop over several times when on the computer. The fatigued factor was also huge. I just felt like a complete and utter zombie at times, and while sure this can happen to anyone on an off day of bad sleep or something along those lines, something felt quite different here I can assure you.

These effects lasted WELL into the following days before they subsided, however today, Sunday, some TWO days after my last dose, I am dead serious when I tell you that I am STILL having lingering effects (i.e. still feel a off/zombie like/dizzy). I contacted my doctor via email, and he tells me he feels these side effects are “psychological” due to my underlying fears of the medication, and that finasteride “Doesnt work that way”, in the sense that I guess sides wouldn’t show up this quickly. I told him doc, I can bet you my LIFE these were real deal sides. Now, perhaps they were psychosomatic, but at the end of the day dizzyness and lightheadedness are in fact sides written on the label.

For now I have stopped the medication and have decided it is simply not worth it to try it again. I’m curious if anyone here can put me at ease and let me know if the drug can in fact give someone sides instantly like I had, or if perhaps these were possibly psychosomatic after all. Either way, again I have made the decision to just stay away after this unnerving experience.

Yes, Fina can give you sides with one little dose, after less than an hour.

Good.

Steer clear from this poison. You’ll probably be fine.

If it ever crossed your mind to take just another pill, remember that further exposure fo Finateride after stopping can eventually lead to a total breakdown.

Some users in there got fucked upon re exposure to the drug. Like, 0.25mg years later the last dose taken was enough to develop full blown PFS.

2 Likes

So why on earth does a doctor tell me he thinks it’s all “psychological”?

It really upset me when he said that. Even I know that most medications can present side effects even with one dose.

Because there’s very little knowledge about PFS and the impact this poison can have even with one small dose.

Your reaction could be psyhcological. But your doc doesn’t know squat about Fin either way.

I think you will be fine and you dodged a bullet. Never even think about touching that poison again. I took it for 1 month at 1mg/day, got brain fog. Went off for 6 weeks. Thought I was fine so I went back on at 0.5mg/day and now have full blown PFS. Probably would have been fine if I never touched it again but I was made to believe I could decrease my chances of side effects at a lower dose by stupid hair loss doctors and tressless reddit forum

3 Likes

I would encourage you to never touch it again in any dose. Never use any topical or shampoo stuff that contains DHT blockers either (saw palmetto, etc.).

I took 1mg/day for 6 days. I didn’t realize the cause at the time, but I was having awful emotional outbursts during those few days about trivial shit (like a package not arriving on time). Only later did I realize this was related to the hormones.

My dick went completely numb on day six and I was completely freaked out. Like I literally had zero sensation in it.

Seven months later and I’m only just starting to feel back to normal. And from what I’ve read, I’m one of the lucky ones.

Don’t touch it again. Trust your instinct. You know what caused your dizziness and brain fog.

Being able to function cognitively, emotionally, and sexually is so much more important than retaining our hair.

1 Like

Dude , stay away from this drug. I was on it for .25/.5 every other day for a month. had severe insomnia and mood swings for a few weeks. I think Im getting a bit better. Get better man!

He is honestly being a terrible doctor. The label includes these side effects for a reason. If doctors are going to brush off and deny the side effects when they are right there on the label that’s just wilful ignorance and denial of established fact that puts a patient in danger.

That said, you’ve only experienced this for a couple of days. Chances are very strong that all these side effects will go away soon. Obviously, don’t even touch hairloss drugs ever again.

Also,

I’m the last type of guy on Earth that can pull off the bald look.

This isn’t true. This is what you tell yourself. The thing about the bald look is that literally everyone can rock it. Perhaps with a slight change of wardrobe. I encourage you to rethink your perspective, because you’re only going to fall from one hurdle into the next. Saw P and Minoxidil are just as poisonous as Fin and Hair transplants and systems all have their own problems. It sucks right now but sometimes acceptance is the real cure.

2 Likes

Just an update for everyone - I fully recovered after whatever it was I went through (persistent dizziness, lightheadedness, unable to concentrate), however it took WAY longer than I would have liked. A good 4-5 days. Definitely not the next morning. I am still curious though, and a bit fascinated by what happened to me. I have spoken to NUMEROUS doctors both in person and online, as well as a few well respected posters or online guys who told me it is extremely unusual and basically impossible that I had these types of side effects almost instantly when popping Finasteride.

A few of them told me it could have been psychosomatic due to my underlying fears of the drug, regardless of how much of an open mind I had about it going in. I just don’t know. All I do know is that I’m devastated I couldn’t just take this medication and go on with my life. Something went wrong, and I’m just curious as to what. Sure the side effects I experienced are all on the label, but is it REALLY well documented in a massive way that you can experience significant sides even after taking one pill?

I’ll admit I’m toying with the idea of at least trying brand (Propecia) one time before finally giving up on Finasteride altogther. Previously the one I was taking was generic. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

For the love of God do not take it again

2 Likes

Nope. The things that happened to me and other posters are not all in our heads.

I would bet money on your experience being worse the second time around and likely longer lasting.

3 Likes

So you think it’s really possible that within under an HOUR this pill gave me these sides?

I’d agree with @Greek on this one.

It’s human nature to do what you’re doing. Since you really want to keep your hair your brain try to trivialize all the (potential) side effects. This is well documented aka “it won’t happen to me”.

If you really want to try it again, no one here can stop you. But taking the same compound just with another name on the box isn’t going to up your chances at all, that’s for sure.

I’d strongly advice you against trying it again, you don’t want long lasting effects on your ability to think, get aroused or get an erection. I can say that much, and I’m not even half as bad as some other people on here.

4 Likes

In all honesty, we need more serious cases to raise awareness.

Go with it, you’re gonna screw your life but you’ll definitely help our cause.

2 Likes

I had sides within a few hours after one pill which lasted many months, some of which still linger. I’d reconsider going back on it if I were you.

Don’t do it man. What’s the point of preventing hairloss when you will wreck havoc on your body? Seriosly, these side effects are no joke. Brain fog, genital numbness, dry skin, tinnitus, gut issues, insomnia etc. It is not worth it, trust me.

You’ve been given a warning by your experience. Don’t ignore it. Think how much you’d kick yourself then if you went against what your body was telling you. It does look like you are looking to disprove what has happened to you. You have definitely come to the right place here as this is the ungarnished truth. Seeking out answers elsewhere will, as others have said here, only tell you what you want to hear. Guys on hairloss chatrooms and most doctors haven’t a clue. It’s like going to a mechanic for your feet.

3 Likes

I understand. I know my body was telling me to forget it. It’s just very difficult when I have drastic hair loss and there really aren’t many other solutions. Not really into dropping $500 on PRP only for it not to work. Rip off.

I wonder, is there a bit more of an acceptable to topical finasteride here? Perhaps I may respond better to that? Thanks.

Topical can also induce PFS. Look into hair systems.

1 Like

Stay away from anything anti-androgenic. Finasteride, regardless of whether it’s oral or topical, is going to have an anti-androgenic effect. Stay away from Saw Palmetto, Dutasteride, etc also. As others have commented, you’ve been given a warning and you’re lucky with such a severe and fast reaction to come out of it ok. Others have taken small doses spaced years apart and the second or third attempts induce severe, completely life-altering consequences.

Believe me, when I was 22 and my hair loss got aggressive, I thought my hair was an important part of my “look” and that no woman would ever want me if I was bald. Especially so young.

But since my hair loss continued with PFS anyway, I had to shave my head, and I absolutely dreaded it. However, many people including women tell me that I look better bald.

Just shave your head, hit the weights, and own it. A confident bald man > an unconfident man with hair every day of the week.

2 Likes