Lawsuit Questions

Hi all,
I’ve done some perfunctory searching on the site about lawsuits, the results of the class-action filing, and the like. I’m curious how many of you have gone about suing Merck and what the success rate looks like? My doctor made an off-handed comment about suing them, but I think it’s a very viable route, and I’d like some feedback on how that has turned out for many. For reference, my family has the wherewithal and will to support a protracted legal battle.

I think think suing before we have had all the negative effects of these drugs proven would be a bad move.

Sue now and you’ll settle for next to nothing and I presume won’t be able to sue again later because you will have accepted the settlement.

Not even worth going after Merck you can’t touch these people financially, I’d say wait till more studies come out. Most of the people who settled got a few hundred/thousand dollars to have they’re lives destroyed.

There is a case soon in France with lawyer who has been defending other patients from med scandal… The settlement will be symbolic but at least, if they can prive that propecia actually ruined people’s lives to change the leaflet or giving patients the right information when they take it…

1 Like

What’s the timeline looking like for the studies to be completed? And what would be the likelihood that they could established replicable causal inferences re our symptomology?

There’s also the statute of limitations. Your the one that just got diagnosed with the small fiber neuropathy right? depending on the state, you might have around 2 years to file a case based on when you were diagnosed. If you and your Dr feel you have a case, id go for it. i’m not sure what it says on the pamphlet when it comes to sides, but something like this could spark its own study if not listed as a side effect for Propecia.

Edit. oh wait that wasn’t you. If you find something tangible that you can pin to the drug, it dosent matter if its 10 years from now if you didnt know, the statue of limitations will apply as soon as you are diagnosed with anything drug related.

1 Like

No, I wasn’t the one diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that’s what I have. I’m very early on in the course of PFS (I crashed roughly a month ago), so I’m still working through many of the medical tests. My doctor felt confident enough to give me an official diagnosis of PFS after consulting with endos and urologists in his practice, however.
I’ll do some research into the statue of limitations in my home state for personal injury/medical liability suits, but I was under the impression that the 2012 relabel only specified that permanent sexual sides effects were putatively correlated with the drug. I have mainly neurological symptoms–dizziness, derealization, brain fog, headache, vision problems, and head pressure–along with insomnia that I believe is an adrenal issue.
I’m definitely going to sue Merck because I’m spiteful and will do it out of pure principle, but finding an opportune time is key. Could anyone help me with likely timelines for the study results and/or their personal experiences in pursuing legal recourse? Thanks.

1 Like

As a follow-up this is from the patient information section of the 2012 relabel:

The most common side effects of PROPECIA include:
 decrease in sex drive
Reference ID: 3114736

 trouble getting or keeping an erection
 a decrease in the amount of semen
The following have been reported in general use with PROPECIA:
 breast tenderness and enlargement. Tell your healthcare provider about any
changes in your breasts such as lumps, pain or nipple discharge.
 depression;
 decrease in sex drive that continued after stopping the medication;
 allergic reactions including rash, itching, hives and swelling of the lips and
face;
 problems with ejaculation that continued after stopping medication;
 testicular pain;
 difficulty in achieving an erection that continued after stopping the
medication;
 male infertility and/or poor quality of semen.
 in rare cases, male breast cancer.

Seeing as I have persistent side effects only upon discontinuation outside of the gamut provided here, I think a relatively strong case can be made, especially if some causal link can be established between some of my symptoms and fin via the pending studies.

1 Like

Thanks for posting that info on the drug side effects. I took accutane 20 years ago. While some things and tests I have had could be linked to the drug, its a hell of alot harder to do that after so much time has passed.
As a individual, Id say the sooner the better if you find anything to be able to link it to the drug (outside of a class action lawsuit) to have a real case.
It would probably have to be a strong enough case for a lawyer to take it on a contingency basis. I wouldn’t give any money up front.

It is easier and more productive to sue our health insurance plan if they don’t authorize treatments that can help us.

It is somewhat easier to apply for Social Security Disability benefits if you cannot work or function normally.

Suing Merck will probably results in a settlement of a tiny amount per person (like the one that went through last year) because the courts do not have enough scientific evidence about PFS yet, and Merck and the FDA are not fully transparent about getting/releasing data that shows that a medication causes harm. So uphill battle and takes a while to even try to sue Merck. Plus which attorney would take on your case if you only get $1,000.00?