Lakehouse's dutasteride disaster

Welcome to our community. Please fill in the following template as a way of introducing yourself, and helping others to understand your background and situation.

Where are you from (country)? USA

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?) Google searched propecia brain fog

What is your current age, height, weight? n/a

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)? finasteride then dutasteride

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)? finasteride - 1mg everyday then quit and dutasteride- 1 month loading dose of .5mg 3x, then .5mg everyday for 8 months

What condition was being treated with the drug? hair

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)? 9 months total

How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug? 23

How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit? 26

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)? cold

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects? few months in, but was in denial/didnt know

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation? brain fog, insomnia, emotional blunting, derealization

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[ ] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[ ] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ ] Loss of Morning Erections
[ ] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[x ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[x ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[x ] Confusion
[x ] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[x ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[x ] Slurring of Speech
[ ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ x] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[x ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug? herbs + andro pro hormone

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)? low total t (half of what it was 1 year prior while i was on dutasteride), low dhea, low hgh. will link later if have time

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

i had brain fog and insomnia on propecia, didnt really know it was fin doing it. took it for 2 years, then switched to dutasteride. took a loading doase on dutasteride, lost morning woods and sexual sensitivity, and then got emotional blunting a few months later. around this time my brain fog and derealization was at an all time high. this kept going until one day i snapped out of it and was out of denial. i realized it was dutasteride and quit.

1 month after quitting, my sexual sides resolved. unfortunately my cognitives are not back and my shrewdness + awareness are gone. i just want my brain back lol. anyways, pleasure to be on this journey with you fine folks. lets figure this out :smiley:

Still have derealization?

slightly. only notice in my face when im driving or walking through crowds

Got it. my derealization is only really noticeable when I step outside into a large crowd or when I look into a mirror. I think of it more as a visual distortion than derealization

1 Like

you try shrooms yet? lol

Absolutely not - google “HPPD.” Many people are suffering just like us from taking serotonin drugs. Do a simple search in the forum for mushrooms. They even complain of sexual issues.

1 Like

thats from shrooms? jfc LOL i was about to try it since the FDA fast tracked shrooms for trial in MDD

Well do your own research. It’s mainly from lsd but many accounts on that site from shrooms and mdma.

1 Like

yeah i think im just going to wait until this baylor report gets published before i try anything at this point. smh

Yeah - I have absolutely horrid neurological sides. You can see my member (horror) story. My approach is to optimize everything in my life I have control over: I eat extremely healthy, I lift super heavy every day, and I try and reduce my stress levels as much as possible. I had a period (no clue why) after a weekend of going out where I had such bad vertigo and dizziness that I couldn’t get out of bed (literally). At that time, I prayed to the universe that I would come back to my pfs baseline (pfs baseline was heaven compared to this) and this experience taught me that although it doesn’t feel this way, things could be MUCH worse.

1 Like

i agree with you. ive started a keto diet yesterday in hopes of the increased GABA helping my sleep and brain fog, as its helped me in the past.

also not going to let my symptoms limit myself in life. I put goals on the backburner, but now im going to pursue them.

id like to think with baylor studies coming out, and new therapeutic compounds on the way or already out, we won’t have to suffer this bad, too long.