Kaleb. Finasteride for 7 years. Been medicated on accutane, ssri's, and other drugs for 13 years

Welcome to our community. Please fill in the following template as a way of introducing yourself, and helping others to understand your background and situation.

Where are you from?

USA

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other)

Searching “post finasteride syndrome forum” on Reddit

What is your current age, height, weight?

28, 5’10", 150 lbs

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)?

Accutane as a teenager, fluoxetine, other antidepressants, and Im currently still on finasteride, debating on whether i should go off or not.

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?

1.25 mg of fin every day for about 7 years now. I can’t remember the doses and durations of the other drugs.

What condition was being treated with the drug?

Male pattern baldness. Accutane treated severe cystic acne. Antidepressants treated depression and other mood issues.

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)?

Years on fin so far. 6 months on accutane. 13 years on mood drugs. Currently only on finasteride.

How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug?

Started fin at 21.
Started an SSRI at 14, attempted suicide, welbutrin at 15, tried other mood drugs in my twenties.

How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?

I quit my mood drugs a few days ago. I’m still on finasteride.

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?

Quit my mood drugs one at a time, cold turkey.

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?

I developed meniere’s disease within a few months of starting finasteride. Didn’t realize the connection til recently. Currently i manage that with diet, lifestyle changes, and exercise. In a few years, due to other factors like abuse and social isolation, i devolved into a dementia-like state. I didn’t get out of that til i radically changed my life, got help from the government.

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

I’m still on finasteride. Currently i deal with mild memory and focus issues. Very little sex drive or ability to have an erection.

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[X] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[X] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[X] Loss of Morning Erections
[ ] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[X] Watery Ejaculate
[X] Reduced Ejaculate
[X] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[ ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[X] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[X] Confusion
[X] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[X] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[ ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[X] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[X] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[X] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[X] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[X] Muscle Weakness
[X] Joint Pain
[X] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[X] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[X] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[X] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[X] Other (please explain)
I developed anemia after being finasteride for several years.

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?

Restyling my life to make it full of exercise, less speaking requirements, got government assistors to help me with life, became a devout Christian after having a spiritual awakening.

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?

Lowered blood cell count

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

I had a rough home life growing up. My family moved and i struggled to make friends. I was put on an ssri. Tried to kill myself. Was put in a mental hospital for a week. Lied to get out because i realized they weren’t actually helping people, and that no one there would actually give me what i needed - a loving, guiding support system. Took Accutane in high school at some point.

Stayed on welbutrin for a long time. Went to college. Had trouble making friends. Felt very isolated. Transfered schools. Started finasteride. Developed meniere’s disease. My once perfect eyesight dropped quickly for no apparent reason. My mother began drinking and being abusive. Instead of actual guidance i was medicated and in therapy for a long time.

I recently moved out and formed a relationship with Jesus Christ. I am changed. I can see the past more clearly than ever before. Instead of actual help i was given medications and taken advantage of by doctors. I’ve had to take things into my own hands just in order to survive.

Currently i am still on finasteride. Im wary of going off it. I’ve been experimenting with different dosages. It would be nice to have my brain back, though. I just dont want to go off at the wrong time and fuck up my body and life for years. So i am seeking information.

1 Like

Can’t safely quit finasteride so you might as well do it now.

Unfortunately, as @lbv stated, there are no recommendations that can be made for “how” to quit and I’m not aware of any data ( or anecdotes for that matter) that would suggest either tapering or cold turkey as the safest method or that there is ever a “right time” to quit. Staying on finasteride has obviously not been kind to you.

One thing that is required for membership here is that a person is “post-drug” and not still taking a drug which is apparently causing them harm.

After you sort things out and are off of fin, our membership will be here for support.

Hello mate, thanks for your story. I was on and off fin for years and have the belief that my level of exposure has made things so much worse. I would stop taking it immediately and be prepared for a worsening state which may actually improve at the 3 month mark. You’re used to dealing with adversity and have found god so you will be better equipped to deal with what this will “potentially” bring your way. Continuing to take this poison is a bad bad idea. Best of luck.

If you’ve been on for 7 years i’d try tapering off as well as you can and very slowly for several months, maybe speak to a doctor he may be able to find a compounding pharmacy which will help you taper off. The dose response curve is very steep for finasteride so you have to be quite meticulous.

On top of common sense pointing toward tapering being a good idea the supposed mechanisms causing our condition (not yet proven) may also suggest this is the safer option. Good luck.

Tapering would be the most sensible approach

Tapering is extremely difficult if not impossible due to Finasteride’s dose-response curve:

Allot of drugs have a flat dose response curve (hence why dose response curves are often on a logarithmic scale compared to the one you’ve referred to) and it is still advisable to taper. At the very least there would be no harm in trying especially if he could get a compounding pharmacy and a doctor to aid him in the process.

What is a compounding pharmacy?

A compounding pharmacy is one that can has the equipment to formulate pills with different doses i.e. they have a micro-scale and could make pills with a far smaller dose than you could split finasteride pill down to accurately (theoretically they could measure .00001 grams).

ok. Well great. It seems like tapering would be safest, yes.

After 7 years did it stop your hairloss? asking as it was useless to me after accutane, I kept losing hair on it.

Yeah, i did stop losing hair. So accutane can exacerbate hair loss? That makes so much sense…