Just for general discussion I guess

I got really depressed one day and almost tried to kill my self than I called my mom said that. And obviously I didn’t. She was very supportive and it gave me hope so I started setting health goals. About three days into my new health goals I mentioned something about accutane and she said I “believe you belive that” and it sent me into another depression today I think because I was conflicted and disappointed because I thought we were on the same page. also I felt angry

Than we got into an argument. first she said she thought it was depression and than I showed her all the people who’s parents have said the same thing, and i tried to explain how frustrating that can be for me than she said im just going down another rabbit hole. And got angry and stormed off and left. I asked her at the beginning not to to get angry and storm off.

So basically I feel really hopless again . I would like some closure I guess or maybe to talk to someone who at least recognizes that and doesn’t try and give me lecture on how I actually have depression.

Have you tried printing out any literature relating Accutane to suicide, the citizen’s petition to the FDA regarding sexual side effects, or any of the studies showing alterations in brain function in patients and animals given the drug?

It’s possible she is being mislead by someone to believe this syndrome is impossible. Some news articles or summaries published in scientific journals might correct that.

Also, assuming you don’t blame her for what happened, make certain she knows that when trying to discuss this with her.

I think you may be right about her thinking i might blame her thank you. I dont have any literature maybe ill show her the explanation video if i can find it. The studies are like a forien language to both of us. I don’t really think it’s worth bothering with her I’ve wasted lots of energy trying to explain it to regular people in the past. It’s just hard to understand what I’m feeling at any given point with this condition and I’m finding g it hard to navigate life because I have no emotions. I can’t really progress in my life because my I fail at most jobs and can’t succeed or even find meaning. I don’t think hoping is really the right answer either. That’s why I feel like suicide sometimes

1 Like

Understood.

The PFS explainer video:
(I know it’s not PAS, but at least it goes to show there is a similar syndrome)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IVUbQQekY

The Citizens Petition to the FDA regarding sexual side effects of Accutane:
(the one that’s been stonewalled for 4 years)
https://downloads.regulations.gov/FDA-2018-P-4088-0001/attachment_1.pdf

There many online news stories from the UK in the past few years discussing the controversy over 50 suicides there in the past 10 years attributed to (Ro)Accutane. As well as some linked on our memorial page that were due to Accutane: https://www.propeciahelp.com/in-memoriam/

I can’t offer any words of encouragement. The only meaning I have left is working toward putting an end to the farce that these drugs are safe and can’t cause persistent health problems. Everything else is a side-project to sustain that.

I feel the same way have a goodnight

1 Like