Isotretinoin gave me sexual dysfunction

I started accutane at 16 years old at 40mg daily for a month, then 20mg daily for ~10 months. I quit “cold turkey.”

[x] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[x] Erectile Dysfunction
[x] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[x] Watery Ejaculate
[x] Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[x] Reduced Sperm Count
[x] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[x] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[x] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems

While taking claravis(isotretinoin) is when I initially tried to make muscle gains and it was HARD. I mean, I was eating lots of protein (skinny 16 year old 6’2" kid at 165 lbs) lots of calories and lifting 5-6 days a week with proper rest. In retrospect, I think I may have suffered from low testosterone during my treatment, but it’s impossible to determine whether this was from the Accutane or just my genetics. I felt joint and back pains on 40mg of the drug.

After the treatment concluded (now I am 17 years old, 180 lbs, 6’2", I had occasional erectile dysfunction when trying to have sex and I felt comfortable so anxiety didn’t play a role. Then, I made a google search of “Accutane erectile dysfunction” and found a lot of people with similar issues. Since that search (2 months ago?) I also noticed it’s harder to ejaculate and my penis lost sensitivity. Since summer started, though, and I started going outside more, working out constantly, getting lots of sun, etc, my erections have come back slightly, but they’re not at the level they used to be. My libido went up a bit, but again is not at the level it used to be even at a younger, less active, pimply self. I still have genital anesthesia, and a hard time ejaculating.

I haven’t looked at my blood tests that I have from the period while I was taking Accutane but I will do so when I have the chance, as well as hopefully get a new blood test soon.

I haven’t tried any treatments yet for this, but it’s only been 2 months since I first suspected I struggle from this. I have a positive mindset and am looking for help as much as I am looking to help others fix this.

3 Likes

Hi squeem,

now also in public: Welcome to our forum! I am glad you made it here. Your user level has increased, so you should soon receive the invite to our survey. Alternatively, you can use the bar chart icon on the upper right of the web page (on a desktop computer). Please let me know if you encounter any difficulties.

Just to clarify. You mentioned that around two months ago you googled your symptoms and found out about PFS/PAS. How long has it been since you quit the drug? We suggest that be at least three months past the last dose before taking the survey.

1 Like

It has been in the 3-4 month range, but I figured I would give it some to recover, or some time to decide if it was a real issue or not. Then, 1-2 months later, I googled it, which is what introduced me to reddit users experiencing the same problem, to which I eventually discovered Accutane being a 5ar inhibitor and PFS.

Also I have a girlfriend of 8 months what should I put for marital status?

2 Likes

You’re “single” unless married… One of those little things that’s good to keep in mind for all the paperwork you will trudge through as an adult.

Thank you for completing the survey!

update. my general doctor is interested in helping me and finding me a good urologist. I had blood tests done to look for free T and prolactin levels both of which were fine (normal range). tomorrow im getting another test for estrogen and dht because those werent in the first one. dozens of small purple veins appeared on my dick and I have even worse libido than before and worse erections. The left side of my jaw also hurts when i chew, and my left shoulder randomly started having pain whenever i rotate it; when i’m driving, playing basketball, washing hair, despite never suffering an injury. I am trying a low vitamin A diet for my joints (still have knee pain) which I read about on reddit and am about to limit ejaculation to once a week to see if that helps. I guess i’ll wait to see what my estrogen and Dht levels are and go from there. Im not gonna lie, this shit is incredibly overwhelming and hard to not think about when i literally live and breathe it. everything i do now is, in some way, affected by these symptoms.

Oh yeah BTW: Can’t lift. Used to be something I loved doing and would put all my time and energy into. Now, both my shoulders hurt and both my knees hurt, and all 4 pop and click when I actively engage in exercises that use them like pushups, squats, etc. So theres that