Is there any biomechanic that would explain our impairments in working memory and short-term memory?

I struggle immensely with my short memory capacity. I find it really hard to keep all the pieces of a conversation together and fumble a lot trying to think/speak on the fly. Interstingly, my longterm memory is still pretty good. I can remember lots of obscure knowledge and personal history.

Do we have any running hypothesis on this?

2 Likes

On a high level, low testosterone causes memory impairment. So does depression, and PFS people’s brains have shown similar patterns to patients with MDD. There could be other mechanisms too.

Interesting. I’ve wanted to try an antidepressant to see if it improves me any. Wellbutrin seems like it could work for some of the other sides. There’s a close affinity between Dopamine and Testosterone receptors in the brain so it may be possible to ‘trick’ your brain into increasing memory and sexuality via a DA pathway.

No hypothesis.

But, yes, memory impairment is associated with use of isotretinoin (Accutane, Roaccutane) and SSRIs (fluoxetine, paroxetine and venlafaxine).

How bad are your sexual symptoms - libido, ED, etc? This is relevant.

Have you measured prolactin and other hormones?

This was my bloodwork last time I had it checked. The prolactin was high and I took caber but it didn’t improve anything. My libido has pretty much been zero for the past 3 or 4 years. Erectile function is poor as far as maintaining goes. If I get close to orgasm and fend it off to last longer, that’s usually when my erection just goes away. Don’t get daytime/spontaneous erections. Nocturnal erections happen fairly regularly if I take magnesium before bed. Other sides are thinner body hair, dry eyes, and low muscle definition/higher fat accumulation in my chest and stubborn fat at my waist.

1 Like