Is there a professional explanation for androgen receptors

I want to know its structure and how it works. I read a lot of posts in the forum, but I still can’t understand it very well

1 Like

A simplified explanation: The main function of the androgen receptor is as a DNA-binding transcription factor that regulates gene expression. It is a nuclear receptor. Nuclear receptors are basically proteins that live within cells throughout your body. They sense and respond to steroid and thyroid hormones, and work with other proteins to regulate gene expression, which then controls the development and maintenance of that organism.

The AR is found across most bodily tissues including the brain and nervous system, penis, testes, prostate, skeletal muscle, skin, liver, urinary bladder, gastrointestinal tract, arteries, kidneys, breast, uterus, bone, adrenal glands, and teeth.

So, where you have genes responsible for certain functions involving steroid or thyroid hormones within those bodily tissues, the AR is responsible for regulating their expression.

That’s why Baylor’s results make a lot of sense. PFS patients have reported problems in all of those tissues I mentioned above where the AR is expressed.

I hope that helps - I am certainly not the science brain at PFS Network so take with a grain of salt.

9 Likes