Is there a chance I wont develop PFS after 5 years of using finasteride?

I have an appointment with a urologist tomorrow and will be making an appointment with an endo tomorrow. My GP tested my testorone levels and it came back at 434 which I think is considered normal?

It is within normal range but on the lower end. It does not matter what the number is, it is how you feel.

But you need lots of other blood tests to rule out other things first.

And you need to research all the anti-testosterone foods and substances out there besides finasteride.

What time of day did you have the blood draw for the testosterone test with your GP?

I got it done early in the morning like 9ish. This morning I’ve also noticed that my flaccid penis is way shorter than what it usually is and also feels less “full”. The pain in my testicle has also spread to my pelvic area and even my lower back. For argument sake, say that these things that I’m experiencing (zero libido, ED, shrinkage, pelvic pain, no sensitivity) are caused by finesteride. Is it still possible that all this goes away upon discontinuation of the drug which I have been off for 10 days now? Or at this point do you consider this the onset of PFS assuming fin is the cause of my symptoms?

1 Like

And also how should I approach the urologist when I a bring up propecia because I have a feeling he will be dismissive about i, just like my GP?

We really don’t know exactly what is causing you to go through what you are experiencing.
Mentioning Propecia should be the LAST thing you mention to a urologist–I am warning you!

A urologist has to figure out WHY you are having pain the groin area–ask your urologist to test for infections, ask him to do an ultrasound, ask him to do an xray. Believe me–the ONLY way you will EVER get a urologist to think about Propecia is IF you RULE OUT all other urological problems FIRST.

Again, I am speaking from experience. You have to do things the way doctors do things, otherwise you will be dismissed, you will be told you have a mental illness, and your symptoms that could be something else will not be properly checked & treated. PM me if you want.

I don’t agree with the advice above to withhold information from the urologist. I feel it is best to give all information to the doctor and let them figure it out. These are symptoms also seen in PFS, so the recent discontinuation of propecia is material information for the doctor.

1 Like

Urologists prescribe dutasteride, which is like finasteride, so they are unlikely to think finasteride does anything bad to the body.

But if a patient is having pain in the area a urologist treats, it is good medicine for that doctor to rule out causes of the pain before looking at an adverse drug reaction. I know from experience, I have had this since 1997.

My reading is that you were advising to withhold information until certain other explanations are ruled out.

In my view this is not a good idea and can reduce trust between doctor and patient.

1 Like

In most cases you are right, but in the case of PFS, a syndrome that many dermatologists and urologists think is bullshit and just delusion, we have to be careful.

I think someone could bring a list of meds he has taken in the past and he is taking now, so that finasteride is on the list and there is no hiding it.

@Crossroads I’m not sure if you are suggesting that urologists don’t prescribe finasteride?

They do.

of course I know that–it is dutasteride that is most common, for prostate problems.

Alright guys a little update on my situation. I am much better mentally and my symptoms have more or less gone away, and I’m feeling much better now. I believe most my of symptoms were the result of the anxiety and depression that i was experiencing due to my sudden cassation of weed aftet 6 years of heavy usage. I was going to through wicked withdrawals I didnt think was possible. I will still continue not taking propecia.

The only only thing that is holding me back is the state of my shrunken penis. When erect it looks and feels the size in terms of length and girth. It’s just that when flaccid it looks and feels much shorter and less “full” as stated earlier. It’s most noticeable when l sit down. I know that this could possibly be in my head, but my GF believes it has definately looks shrunken. It’s been approximately 18 days since my last dose and the shrinkage I believe started a little over a week now.

I’m just trying to find another explanation for this other than propecia, because if it is propecia i feel like I am not out of the woods quite yet.

2 Likes

Well your on the way to recovery the shrinkage may resolve with time. Stay positive. You’ll slowly get back to 100%

Thanks! I’m trying to be as positive possible, I just hope it’s not too late to make a full recovery as I was on propecia for 5 years. I just don’t understand and find it alarming why I got the shrinkage (assuming from prop) ONLY after I discontinued it and not at any point in the last few years.

The most plausible theory is that of androgen receptor over sensitivity. When you were taking the drug, you had less hormone in your system so the body increased it’s response to it. You stopped suppressing the hormone by stopping the drug and then suddenly the body was overwhelmed by too much hormone. At this point your body reduced receptor sensitivity and the problems began.

So yesterday, I felt 100% in in all aspects. I felt great and I recovered all sexual function overnight. I masturbated and had sex all night. But then my insomnia kicked in last night and I only slepted 3 hours.

I woke this morning wide awake. Almost as if I had drinking a bunch of energy drinks and the wave of anxiety instantly washed all over me. I’m feeling extremely anxious writing this right now, and my sexual function has dropped back down to 0.

What the hell?

Remember that you are coming out of longstanding addictions, so take your time, breathe, it will all sort itself out once your body heals.

Thanks for the support you’ve given me Crossroads. My penis shrinkage had just been getting to me lately because it’s something I can’t just ignore. A reason for my concerns is that this is that I’m almost at the 3 week mark of quitting fin and my sexual functionions is finally returning. I know for a lot of guys here, the 2nd week is the “recovery” period which is followed by the “crash” on the 3rd or 4th week.

Actually each person is different. Don’t borrow troubles you don’t have. Some people have stayed recovered except for one symptom, like my cousin.

your cousin mostly recovered from PFS?