Is pfs so rare? Only 15.000 reported cases worldwide? Are we all here already reported cases?

…PFSfoundation reports that there are 15,000 documented cases of PFS worldwide and I estimate that over these years there have been tens of millions (or more) of people in the world on finasteride. That creates a big problem with the average physician recognizing or even being aware of the existence of PFS. Even if every physician is taught about PFS, most will go through their carrier without seeing a single case. …

The question is, did every user here report his case to the foundation?! Are we all documented cased already?

On the other hand the pfs foundation website has 500.000 unique visitors. Sorry I discussed that several times.

And I got logical answers from the well informed staff already. But it hurts me having such a rare condition.

2 Likes

It is very likely that this disease is extremely rare, even if you account for those who aren’t registered on the forum or in touch with the PFSF. That is not a reason to despair and does not mean this problem cannot be solved.

Firstly, 15,000 people is still a LOT of manpower if we all work together. The problem has been historically that we don’t, and there are dozens of small groups pulling in multiple directions. We hope that Baylor’s results and further upcoming research will start to turn that tide.

Secondly, with the proliferation of online “healthcare” companies like HIMs, Keeps, etc, sadly the patient population will continue to grow.

Finally, comparing our disease to one like ALS or MS, like some have done in the past, is like comparing apples and oranges. We can trace back the beginning of our disease to a very specific trigger point, which means once the predisposition is known, it’s a lot easier to test on animal models to understand further. There are other benefits to having a specific trigger point also.

Even with 15,000 patients, that’s still 15,000 potential small donors, plus countless family and friends that are potential donors. This community has already spent millions on unscalable/unrepeatable treatments, such as HRT and countless other protocols. Once we start acting as a cohesive community of rare disease patients, rather than what we’re doing now, there’s no reason we can’t raise enough funding within this community and its networks to figure out the underlying predisposition and mechanism of action. Recognised rare diseases, particularly one that is as interesting as ours, are also eligible for significant grant funding. And fingers crossed that one day, researchers will actually approach us.

It really doesn’t help to think too much about our size - what’s done is done. We just need to do the work to understand what’s going on and the rest will fall into place.

6 Likes

Reported cases are just those who have reported to the foundation no? Imagine how many people that experience side effects and just blame it on getting older etc. I believe it’s rare, but not THIS rare. In one study 9% percent had side effects, in another 20% had side effects. Both higher than label states on the packaging. I think it’s fucked either way. Yeah lets continue to make it since only «2%» get side effects that last EVEN after discontinuation. Fuck a life right?

5 Likes

@ruinedlife agreed its a lot higher than were led to believe. How many haven’t made the connection, how many have been denied etc. It took me 15 years I found 5 people via talking about it openly, none of whom have reported it. Nonetheless 15000 cannot be small fry in anyone’s book

2 Likes

Less than 1% of side effects go reported. Likelihood is there’s hundreds of thousands out there with PFS.

3 Likes

Agreed mate and awareness brings people into the arena. How many in reality!!!

1 Like

I think so too. I haven’t reported my case to the EU and German Health Department too. Many affected don’t report their cases.

A campain like “I report it” to the foundation, “I sign up anonymous” for the community would be good.(people like me, open faster to a foundation as to a authority)

Podcasts and YouTube Videos, the media contacts make this inhuman torture known to the world. Merck and all the generica producer cut our cocks :angry: damaged our souls and destroyed so many hopeful young and still hedonic old lives.

2 Likes

I’ve seen over a 100 doctors from all types of specialties and not one mentioned the yellow card scheme or contributed my illness to the medication. I requested emails on behalf of the freedom of information act from MHRA internal emails on PFS and in it they made reference to the WHO who reported that there was a rise in suicides by 35% in patients taking Finasteride.

4 Likes

@Papasmurf same here not one doctor mentioned it and I’ve seen many. I only knew it existed by seeing it on here. It took me two years to get one doctor to submit a yellow card after much dialogue He even said he’d choose the narrative. I also contacted the MHRA and they advised that the benefits outweigh the risks and did not recognise the foundation as an official site or the numbers on it. The system requires a root and branch review as its not fit for purpose ie the reason it was introduced was for patient safety

4 Likes

Don’t get now.
If the foundation has received 15000 cases (is that true? no pumping the number?)
why we are not 15000 users?

Na that’s creazy! Because the registration isn’t seen. It’s quasi anonymity. Here at the forum, you use a username, but that you have written can read everyone. So people afraid to be recognized here by an expartner, friend or a related and there are many silent lurkers.
And like @Papasmurf and @LazarusRy said only a small percentage of the victims register anywhere. No doctor recognize the effects.

2 Likes

Sorry to rain on the parade again guys, but it is extremely unlikely there are “hundreds of thousands” of PFS cases. That is ludicrous. If that were the case this forum would have a lot more than 6000-7000 total registrations over 15 years.

Also, @Exsexgod, please report your symptoms to your regulator. You can self report online.

1 Like

I dont think it’s rare at all, but they cover it up and pronounce us all lunatics. Hell my far cousin committed suicide after taking roaccutane for couple of years, my brother got rubber dick from Ssri and I got it from Saw Palmetto, that’s 3 out of 3 people that I know which took one of these drugs.

Fighting pharmacy industries is useless and impossible and has lead us nowhere in the past 20 years. You think scientist will go ahead and accuse Merck and risk their career and being criminaly charged for blasphemy?? Or other Ssri and roaccutane producers? Ofc they will not go there. This is why I repeat we should get more researches on saw palmetto as there is no big pharma company we need to fight.

2 Likes

Can you please complete the patient survey?

Thanks!

1 Like

we are 7000 or 15000 commented before?
now i’m lost lol

also, solve pfs how many users had?

There are close to 7000 registered users on this forum. The 15,000 number was quoted by OP:

PFSfoundation reports that there are 15,000 documented cases of PFS worldwide

I talked to two people that had PFS and never knew their symptoms were correlated with the drug until they seen my video- there’s a guy in my hometown in his early 20’s that has PFS and isn’t registered to this site. How many patients went to their doctors with PFS after taking finasteride only to be gaslighted and told there was no connection, It took Ryan years to make the link. In 2018 there was over 8 million prescriptions for Finasteride in the U.S if even 1% of those got PFS that figure would hit hundreds of thousands if the drug has been on the market since the 90’s.

3 Likes

We have a recognition issue and a pharmacosurveillance system that isn’t fit for purpose.

4 Likes

No users from Chech, Slowakia, Portugal, Marokko, Estonia, Russland, Belorus, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Greece, Mazedonia, Pakistan, all Asian Countries without India, all African Staates without RSA, all South and Middle American States without Brasil, Mexico, New Zealand, only two or three from China, that could not be true. In my opinion we represent only 1 of ten or twenty victims worldwide, how even in the times of the internet are not informed, or stay private or simply dont know this forum. But pharma market is worldwide.

The media presence rised the last years. Post Finasteride Syndrome is established. Staff make a great work.

2 Likes

I absolutely agree, 15000 is ridiculous, I bet there is 15000 in every damn city in USA, be it from fin, saw palmetto or something else. Sadly many don’t even realise they have a problem, or when they do its months or years after they start or even stop using these drugs all together, so they don’t connect it to be the cause… I got I from saw palmetto hairloss solution, but if i got it from damn multi vitamins with saw palmetto, I am sure I would never figure out what caused it.

Also this website should be renamed or something, when I Google finasteride side effects forum nothing is coming up, neither this forum nor pfs foundation. I stumbled upon this forum by accident as someone on reddit posted a link in comments. It should be finasteride side effects forum not propecia help I didn’t even know what propecia is and I’m sure many outside of US don’t know either.

I Google foligain sexual dysfunction or something like this, which is a product I used, and I found 2 people with same problems writing on random generic German forum and random generic Holland forum, on their languages, and that is just some random product I used. I bet they never found this forum

1 Like